Printing with border

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by Julie Miller, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Julie Miller

Julie Miller New Member

Hi- I’m new to the forum so forgive me if this has been covered somewhere. I have been using the Project Life app and am completely addicted. I want to start printing, but I’m wondering if its possible to get my pages printed with a border around the page. I e-mailed the Project Life support and they said there’s no way to do that when you use their printing services. But I can’t wrap my head around why I couldn’t send, say, an 8x8 page to be printed in a 10x10 book? Or is there another way anyone has done this? Thanks in advance...

2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Welcome @Julie Miller! I'm not sure how much help I will be since I don't use the app, but I'll try! :-) Where do you plan on printing through? I print through Shutterfly, and in their page layout options, there's the ability to pick one that gives your page a white border. I used that option the other day on a book that just shipped, because I felt like I had stuff too close the edges on my layouts. I think most other companies that print books have this option as well.

I just looked at the Shutterfly app, and it looks like for the border option, you'll need to use to use the regular website, not the app.

3. Julie Miller

Julie Miller New Member

Thank you- I was wondering if Shutterfly could do this. Do you know if that means I need to adjust each page manually or can I just stipulate something in the order like ‘add 2 inch border’?

4. tkradtke

@Julie Miller - I did each page manually, but just selecting that layout I have circled. I think there might be a way to apply a layout style to a whole book, but I haven't figured it out yet.

SSscreenshot.jpeg

bestcee likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I did not know you could do this in Shutterfly! I have been making a shrunken version of all my pages that have stuff close to the edge... like I leave the main background paper full size and shrink everything else by 97% and save a .jpg that way (plus the original way) with "_Shrunken" added to the file name. It's a pain and sometimes it's tricky if you have elements that are supposed to hang off the edge... kwim? I may have to consider doing the next book with a border like this. I'd love to know how you like it when you get your book Tracie! @tkradtke

I just ordered one on the 30th that should arrive tomorrow... so it'll be awhile before I order the next one.

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

7. Julie Miller

Julie Miller New Member

Tracie, that is exactly the look I am going for! Do you know how large of a margin that was? It looks great. I will contact Shutterfly to see if I have to adjust each one like that, I'll do it if I have to but would love not to have to fiddle with each one. I'm still kind of surprised that they couldn't do that through Becky's app; I love the idea of using her lay-flat books, even though they are pricey. And thanks for the welcome, Karen-! :)

Karen likes this.
  8. tkradtke

I do that too, most of the time... but this time I was trying to make a coupon deadline (decided to go for it at the last minute). Being done was my biggest priority! :-) On my PL pages, I try to do the reduction before I save my final jpg, but on other types of pages, I forget to. I'll let you know what I think of my book when I get it... it shipped yesterday!

I don't have my 8x8 book yet, but this was taken of a page I used that layout on in a 8.5x11 book I did...

IMG_8976tlp.jpg

(I'm amused by how my daughter's friend appears to be surprised by that number! :giggle)

Karen likes this.
  9. Julie Miller

Julie Miller New Member

Haha, yes, it's like she's saying, "Wow, look at that beautiful 1 inch margin!" That's what I'd say if I was her, anyway.:) Thanks for your time on this and I feel much happier about printing my pages now. I'll let you know how it turns out when I do so, I need to complete more pages first!

Karen and tkradtke like this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

On the shutterfly image for the circled element, isn't the grey area a photo spot? So that no matter what photo you drop onto it, it will adjust to fit the grey area. If so, there should be no adjustment needed before uploading the photos to use.

Julie Miller likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Last time I asked Shutterfly customer service, they said no. I need to ask again. It should be a simple thing!

I stuck 12x12 created pages in an 8x8 book, and this is my margin - not quite 3/4.
    2018-02-06-10.38.16.jpg

Scrapping with Liz likes this.
  12. bestcee

Theoretically. However, the way it's cut, that doesn't hold true. Unlike Persnickety Prints who shave a tiny bit on the sides, Shutterfly can shave a lot! Here's a page I did where the photo was in the gray, but the trim was more than expected on this particular layout. There's like 2 lines of journaling cut off!
    2018-02-06-10.46.jpg
    Switching to the white border means I don't lose anything that might be near the edge!
    2018-02-06-10.45.jpg

13. tkradtke

That's true, if you're using that particular layout option. I do the select and resize adjustment that Karen referred to anytime I want my background paper to go all of the way to the edges but don't want to lose any of the "important" stuff when they trim the pages.

14. HavaDrPepper

Thanks. I never use that option because I don't like borders. I just print right to the edge.

And, @bestcee I would have made them reprint that book. I had 1 book printed once and they didn't cut it right. The edge of 1 layout was at the top of the next page. I made them reprint since it was a gift.

Shutterfly also has guides you can download to make sure everything will print right. I don't print books... have only done 2 both from Shutterfly. Issues with the 1, but they reprinted and it was fine. The other had no issues at all. But, then I don't put anything close to the edge of my layouts that I don't want cut off.

bestcee likes this.
  15. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Courtney, I was very upset about SF's LAAAARGE bleed area. On the first book I printed with them, it was closer to an inch, which means my 12x12inch canvas is only usable as a 10x10inch. Ridic. Anyway, they let me reprint and it was much better.

Now, I just got my 2017 book today and there isn't as much bleed area, but they mis-cut the pages! The right page's bottom has about 1/8in of the next right page's top! (Which then means the top of the next right page is missing 1/8in.) I'm so very annoyed right now and I really don't want to go back-and-forth for 2 weeks with them about this! This happened on both the right and left pages, btw.

16. bestcee

That is uber frustrating! I hate when things are off.

Personally, I would take a photo, and post it on Facebook. Bet you get FAST service!

JIC Creations and Tree City like this.
  17. bestcee

I figured it was a lesson learned for me. And since it was a free - just pay shipping - book, I didn't worry about it. Those are the ones I kinda expect my kid to destroy from reading them and looking at the photos. If it had been the yearly one? I would have contacted them.

18. HavaDrPepper

Yeah, that is what they did on my book. Mine was both sides, left and right and started on the 2nd page of the book so it went all the way through.

Luckily I had time for them to reprint since I was delivering it when I went to FL 6 weeks later. That was almost 5 years ago so evidently they still have issues at times.

Edit to add: I was printing an 8x8 book using my 12x12 layouts that I had resized before uploading. I later printed the 12x12's for my albums from PP.

Tree City likes this.
  19. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

This starts almost midway thru the book and gets worse. Or rather, the pages in the beginning have an odd "cut" to them (it isn't the same amount all around--more is taken from the bottom) but the bleed along the bottom got shifted up as the cutting progressed. It's like the cutting machine was slightly off and just got MORE off as it cut my pages. *sigh* I mean, is this the worst thing in the world? Of course not, but it certainly makes the perfectionist in me a little nuts.

I've printed books with ArtsCow and not had problems. I've done the mini books from Persnickety Prints and never had a problem--and I've done like 6 with them over the years (and in a 5x5in album, it would be very sad to be a half or a while inch off!). This is my second book with SF and I'm not impressed.

20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

It's been a while since I've ordered from Blurb but you can add a white border with them too.
    [​IMG]