Prayers needed please: parenting teens- the struggle is real, yo!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by KayTeaPea, Feb 9, 2017.

1. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

You've gotten so much great advice! I have one teenage son, and thankfully he doesn't really give us any trouble except with bedtime. One of my best friends unhinged the door to the bedroom of the teenager that was acting up so that he or she would understand that privacy was a privilege and not a right (they would change their clothes in the bathroom) as long as they lived under her roof (she was the main disciplinarian; her husband always agreed with her) and that they get privacy when they follow the household rules and curfews, etc. They had to hand over all electronic devices, and the TV came out of their room for about a week, as I recall. She only had to do this one time for each child. One time when her son was acting up in school (he was a freshman), she warned him and said if she got another bad report from any of his teachers, she would go to school with him. He acted up, she took a day off of work and went to school with him. He was mortified and never misbehaved in school again. That was before the behavior where she took off his bedroom door.

2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

But you didn't punish her for wanting to read. You punished her for stealing. She chose to steal the first time and that resulted in a consequence that interfered with her ability to purchase an item she wanted, that just happened to be a book. Whether it was educational or not is beside the point, to me anyway.

I did have a laugh at your convo . . . but I wouldn't for one second doubt that you punished her incorrectly.

Juliestcyr and Tree City like this.
  3. gonewiththewind

@KayTeaPea How are things going? I've been thinking about you!

KayTeaPea likes this.
  4. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

This makes me so grateful that we survived all of our kids' adventures thru the years. Our children were pretty good. But we did have a few rough spots that brought us to our knees, and we survived. Now all but one are married and have kids of their own and we are watching them go thru the tough times, too. Just when you think you are safely thru it all, the grandkids come along to increase your love and concern. And adventures.

You have a lot of good advice given here. I hope things will improve in your life and in your home. It can be so hard sometimes. My biggest advice to add to what has been given is to love unconditionally. Separate the child from the deed. Love the child unconditionally. That doesn't mean don't discipline by any means. But I know that love goes a long ways in the end. And they will remember that.

BevG likes this.
  5. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

@gonewiththewind I am hanging in there. The kids seem to have calmed down a bit. I've been dealing with lots of migraines and back pain the past month, so haven't been on here much. Sorry for not seeing this sooner.

gonewiththewind and Juliestcyr like this.
  6. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Glad to hear the kids are OK. And I hope your manage to get the pain under control soon, @KayTeaPea . I love how The Lilypad has become my parenting support group. Most of my IRL friends have kids under 5, they don't really get what the Tween thing is like, but we've got all ages and stages here.

7. gonewiththewind

Thank goodness the kiddos have calmed down, but boo on the migraines and back pain. I'm praying! I know that road all too well! ((HUGS)) and hope you can get back to TLP and scrapping soon!

8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Nothing to add that hasn't been said except this. I had years (decades) of all of the 'crimes' mentioned plus much much worse to where I was on a first name basis with the local police. After she was 21, I asked why they were still calling me? Because she's so sweet looking... sigh. However during all those years there would come a point where she would be reasonable and tell me...No matter what, I knew you always loved me. @KayTeaPea I learned to put her in God's hands and get the support "I" needed from professionals, places like this etc.

Love your children but not the unacceptable behavior and stay strong. Your own body is giving you your own needed time out to get calm. So much love to you and gentle (((HUGS)))