Point & Shoot vs Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, Sep 12, 2017.

1. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I just have my DSLR and my iPhone 7. The iPhone is always with me ... so it ends up being the one I use the most.

I'm a little jealous of @tkradtke 's underwater camera! I wish I had purchased an underwater camera when my kids were a bit younger and used the pool more. Those photos always look so fun to take. They don't really use the pool all that much & are cranky these days about me pointing the lens at them ... so I'm kind of over that.

But yeah it's the iPhone most often for me ... I do love that you can take the photo and edit in a snap of the fingers right on the phone. Timmi @bbymks5 - are you due for a phone upgrade soon? Maybe you can call your provider and talk to them about the slow focus issue - or google your model to see if it's something that others have complained about. Hope you get it resolved.

bbymks5 and Karen like this.
  2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have had a waterproof camera for about 10 years now (actually, a string of them) and have so many fun photos! My kids aren't big on me taking photos either... BUT if you give the camera to Clara and her friends when they go to the pool, they'll take hundreds of themselves and each other... lol!

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I tried that when my boys went to camp a couple summers ago and they never took one single picture for me. Sigh. boys. :no2

bbymks5 and jenn mccabe like this.
  4. tkradtke

I get that since I have one. My son and his friends went on a big corn maze outing on Saturday and told me (excitedly) that they took a BUNCH of photos... they took FIVE. I am very happy to have those five, but five is not a "bunch of photos". Clara will tell me "we just took a few" and send me 20+ photos.

bbymks5, jenn mccabe and Karen like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

@Karen and @tkradtke you too are cracking me up. i know the feeling - my boy does not take photos at all, but my daughter doesn't really either. i rely on other moms for teen photos. it's sad.

-that said my daughter is taking a photo media course this year - learning to photograph on film cameras and develop - so maybe there is hope for her yet? we shall see ...

Karen, keepscrappin, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  6. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I always forget Google has a phone!! How do you like it??

I'm not a photographer either LOL!! I'm always amazed at the quality of phone pictures, especially in the last couple years.

My dad had a Canon Rebel...I can't remember which model it was, but my oldest daughter HAD to have it after my dad passed away, and there it sits :( but the photos he did take with it were great!!

I really should go to a couple stores and mess around with the displays, but you're so right...button placement can definitely make or break it!

I had no idea iPhones started deleting photos, I would have panicked!! Glad you were able to find them!!

Were you able to exchange your Cool Pix or have the lens fixed? What a bummer to have a new camera with lens issues on vacation no less :(

Do you use SnapSeed to do your editing?

Maybe this Christmas will be the year! I think it should be your year!

Thank you for the link!! That is one cool camera!!

I'm fairly certain I turned the swipe home screen mode off, but I'll have to double check...I might have turned it off b/c I was getting a lot of inside my purse shots LOL!

The action shots are definitely what I wish I had more of!! They're always so much fun to look back on!

My phone is always with me too, which is kind of why I hesitate to get yet another camera. I am due for an upgrade, and was tossing around the idea of getting the Note 8, but I kind of want to see if people start having issues with it like the last one. I'll have to do some digging around online to see if I can find a fix for the focusing issue.

I LOVE that your daughter is learning the art of film!! I hope she loves it!! Will they also teach them how to roll bulk film and use enlargers??

Karen likes this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

>>Were you able to exchange your Cool Pix or have the lens fixed? What a bummer to have a new camera with lens issues on vacation no less :(<<
    @bbymks5 Timmi, it was 10 years old.. I had bunked the lens that retracts years ago and it finally stopped working.. I asked my brother if he used my Dad's (after dad passed, he got it as it was the same one I had and Dad hardly used it) but he said he does use it so we (hubby and I ) went out and bought the Canon PowerShot. It is ok.. the Canon has a better/more powerful zoom! :)

bbymks5 likes this.
  8. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

So I have a point and shoot for concerts, but that's about it (because DSLRs usually aren't allowed). I use my DSLR for zoom or fireworks. My Samsung is great for those easy photos.

For easy camera access, on some phones you can double click the home button and it'll bring up the camera!

bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Maybe it's an age thing? My cousin's 10 year old was here on Saturday. He asked if he could use my old DSLR that was hanging out. And off he went! He must have taken about 100 photos in a few hours! My son loves to take photos. If only I could get him to focus first.....

10. bbymks5

Still a bummer to have happen on vacation. I do like the zoom capability of the Canon!

Such a bummer you can take DSLR's into concerts, I get it, but still a bummer.

I went in and turned that option back while eating lunch LOL!

11. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I use my iphone 6s for most everything because that's what I have with me all the time and it takes pretty good photos. We did get DD a Canon Ti-Rebel or something like that for Christmas and it takes amazing photos! I wish she would go do some more photo shoots with her friends and take my younger DD along with them.

We also have a little waterproof fuji finepix that has been great for vacations. I don't have to worry about it getting wet or bumped. It has shock resistance and does a pretty good job too. It's small and easy to put in my purse where as the DSLR is too big and expensive for that. We mainly use hubby's Cannon DSL or DD's Cannon DSL for special things and sports actions shots.

Good luck on the camera hunting.

bbymks5 likes this.
  12. bbymks5

@keepscrappin I love letting kids lose with cameras!! Maybe with the up coming holidays she'll be inspired and get the photo bug!

I'm loving the waterproof camera ideas!

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I have a 5DMll that sits collecting dust because I use my iPhone 90% of the times. It's just more convenient. Although, every time I am going through my pictures to scrap and run across photos taken with my 5DMll I realize how much more I need to drag that baby with me. The photo quality is amazing. I've had some point and shoots in the past but ended up selling them because they just couldn't compete with my DSLR and it was around the time I switched to a smart phone so they never got used after that.

14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have a Nikon d7000 for a number of years now... it's definitely gotten it's use. I won't ever outgrow it, since I enjoy the editing and playing with my photos rather than the actual technical picture taking skills. I learned the expensive way that I don't want to learn the specifics of my camera AFTER I received it. (Boo on me... just no interest, I tried a class, and just didn't like it) All I want are good pictures, no matter where they come from. That I can do on automatic. :giggle So... that leaves me with my big camera for good pictures of my boys or any other time I want clear, easy picture taking. I use my cell for everyday. In my mind, my cell is a point and shoot.

15. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

As you can see from my siggie, I am a strictly phone camera person. That's why I want to go from a iPhone6 to the 7 and if the 8/X had super camera features I probably would plunk down the $s for it. I used to care more about my photos back in the ...go ahead and laugh... 35mm days. But with the ability to tweak in Lightroom, I and my eyes are just fine with what the phone produces. And if I"m home and my pants/slacks don't have a pocket, I'll put on an apron just to have that phone with me...not for calls but for photos.

bbymks5 likes this.
  16. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I have a Canon Rebel (and honestly I could not tell you exactly where it is); I have my Iphone 6 for 99% of the photos.
    My only problem is not all of my "pants/shorts" has pockets so where do I put it?

bbymks5 likes this.
  17. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Maureen, if I didn't have children who never sit still, then I probably wouldn't care so much about using a camera other than my phone (and IMHO, my Galaxy S6 Edge+ does a pretty good job; at the time, its camera got better reviews than whatever iPhone was out there). In fact, that would be really nice, being able to use just my phone! Anyway, even with a decent phone camera, most of my shots of my DS, who was about 4 when I bought it, are blurry.
    Also, you've made me think about buying an apron to hold my phone! Right now I put it in my sweatshirt's "kangaroo pocket," but that gets a little hot if I go outside in the summer.

bbymks5 likes this.
  18. bbymks5

Oh no!! That's too nice of a camera to be a dust bunny collector!! Bust that sucker out!!! But you're right...the ease and convenience of a cell just can't be beat...

Buuuuahahaha!!! You sound like me!!! I think it's because my hubby has tried to teach me, but between my attention span, his lack of patience mixed with my lack of patience :stars:hairpol I might do better with a class, but then again, maybe not LOL!! I swear hubby had a d7000 and sold it for something else...I'll have to ask him!

I never noticed that little tagline in your siggy before!!! I've heard the iPhone X will have a pretty good camera! But at $1000...I'd rather have an actual camera for that price...ohhhh maybe a down for a Leica film camera :rofl I should totally rock my vintage apron with the little pouch meant for gathering eggs!! Hubby would die!!

DOH!! Hopefully isn't lost with missing socks never to be seen again!!! So true about the pockets...grrrr

I wish cameras had a feature to put children on pause!! So. Many. Blurry. photos!! I think you need to rock a vintage apron with me!! Do. It.

Tree City likes this.
  19. tkradtke

This is my new favorite case...

https://www.loopycases.com

I can carry it by the loop when I don't have pockets. I also love how secure it makes my phone feel in my hand. I can take photos over ledges and not worry that I will accidentally drop my phone!

I will say that my first loop tore from my heavy use, but there is a lifetime warranty on the loops and they sent me a brand new "super loop" free of charge, no hassle.

bbymks5 likes this.
  20. bbymks5

Those look cool!! They don't have one for the Note 4, but they have ones for the newer models if I decide to upgrade.