Point & Shoot vs Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, Sep 12, 2017.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Last week during Christa's chat the subject of cameras came up and it got me thinking; if you don't use a higher end camera or professional camera with all of the fancy lenses what do you use for taking a majority of your photos?

Hubby hogs the Nikon digital, which is okay with me, b/c if I dropped it, lost it and or broke it I'd have to runaway and join the witness protection plan (totally kidding) and who has time for that LOL! We have a handful of film cameras I can use, but sometimes I want/need instant gratification so I turn to my cell phone, but I think there's something wrong with the camera after it being dropped a zillion times by little hands (very slow to focus).

LoveItScrapIt and cfile like this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I had a spiffy smart phone camera, and it took too long for me to get the camera ready to go, and I had it in a nifty wallet case, so it was awkward to use. We sold that phone I got a bare minimum smart phone (like zilch memory).
    I carry a tiny CANON power shot camera everywhere with me, either in my purse or pocket. I take pictures all day! I love the memories.

cfile and bbymks5 like this.
  3. bbymks5

@AnneofAlamo That's so true, they do take some time!! First you have enter in a password to get into the phone, then you have to pull up the camera app, then wait for it to focus, and by that time, the moment is almost always over!

I've heard a lot of good things about the Canon Powershots!

cfile likes this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I had a digital point & shoot camera that fit in my pocket for several years before I got my DSLR in 2010. If I hadn't decided to get a DSLR, I probably would have continued using pocket-sized camera until I got my first smartphone (which was at the end of 2013), at least. Actually, I remember when I got that iPhone4 I was highly skeptical of the quality of the camera. But gradually over the years, and especially when I upgraded to the iPhone6, I have been using my phone camera more and more.

I think if I were to stop using my DSLR I wouldn't buy another separate point & shoot camera. The iPhone camera is just as good and probably better in some cases. As for speed, I can swipe left on the lock screen to access the camera.

Karen, cfile and bbymks5 like this.
  5. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I have a Canon PowerShot SX530 HS. I call it my glorified Point & Shoot. While I do love it, I hate that it does not fit into my purse like my old camera. And for that reason I also find myself using my iPhone6 more and more. On our recent trip to the beach last month, I didn't even carry it when we walked on the beach.

bbymks5 likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

My mom loves her Nikon Coolpix. She uses her camera only in Auto mode, so that works for her. I'm a Canon gal myself, and I wanted a manual option, so I went with the Canon PowerShot ELPH 500 HS. It's getting old but still does well!

7. bbymks5

@michelepixels I agree with the quality of some of the cell phone cameras...they're AMAZING!! I'm torn on upgraduating my Note 4 to the Note 8 or getting a point and shoot. There's nothing wrong with my 4 other than the camera.

@djp332 I do love how much easier a p/s or cell is to lug around, and lighter! Especially if you're lugging around a bunch of other things, like at the beach.

@Tree City Hubby prefers Nikon, but he was asking me months ago if I wanted a p/s and he was really impressed with the Power Shots and showed me a few. I've heard so many good things about them too.

Tree City likes this.
  8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@bbymks5 Timmi, obviously you gotta get what works for you, but I would say Canon over Nikon. It's all so personal, though, isn't it? :) Hopefully you find something you like. I tried for awhile to use just my phone's camera, but I love having an actual camera. It was nice on vacation when I didn't want to lug the Big Camera around but wanted better pics than my phone would give me. (My problem isn't my phone being dropped but little GOOEY hands touching the phone's camera lens! *sigh*)

bbymks5 likes this.
  9. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have a Canon 5d... I either use it or my phone most of the time. BUT... I did justify a point and shoot purchase (I actually got it for Christmas) by asking for a waterproof camera. I got the Olympus one and I love that thing. I take it all of the places my other options can't go.

bbymks5 likes this.
  10. bbymks5

@Tree City I have those same sticky fingers on my cell lens too LOL!! I'm not sure what my brand preference is when it comes to digital (I don't think we'll ever own another Fuji due to a horrid repair experience that took OVER a month and me having to write a scathing email to get things done), but I do miss the Nikon F4 as far as film goes.

@tkradtke Ohhh!! A waterproof one would be fun!! I never thought about that option!! The 5D is an amazing camera!!

Tree City likes this.
  11. dawninskip

dawninskip Well-Known Member

Hubby bought me a Google Pixel phone last Christmas - just for the camera LOL

bbymks5, Karen, cfile and 1 other person like this.
  12. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

I use my smartphone almost exclusively. I love my iPhone 7 - it takes amazing pictures and for the sort of photographer I am (eg, I'm not one!), it does the job. And it's always within reach, which means I get a lot of shots I wouldn't have if I had to get another camera.

bbymks5 likes this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I shoot with two cameras - my Canon Rebel T6i, and my Samsung Galaxy S5. I really love the quality of my big camera, so I bought a purse that it fits in. But the Samsung is pretty quick to use - just swipe the lockscreen.
    We have had 2 or 3 canon Elphs - some film, some digital and loved them! They were high quality. My mother in law has the Nikon Coolpix, and she likes how small it is. I would say hold them in your hand at a store and see how they feel. button placement can mean a world of difference!
    We've talked about getting a small point and shoot, but my husband is happy with the photos from his new Motorola, so we haven't yet.

bbymks5 and cfile like this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Timmi,, I love my DSLR Canon Ti3 but I have also had a Nikon Cool Pix for about 10 years. When I travel on an airplane I don't take it (Canon Rebel Ti3) as it is too bulky with the extra lens and all since I do carry ons for my regular bags.

When I went to the UK in July I brought the Nikon Cool Pix in addition to our iPhone 5S cell phones (mine & Hubby's). Well my Nikion Cool Pix died 2 days into the trip. The lens would no longer go in our out and was in the closed position so I was out of luck. I was so glad I cleaned out my cell phone prior to the trip and used that.. I took so many photos that I maxed out the storeage on the cell phone for photos so the rest we took on Hubby's.

While there was some deboggle as iPhone starts to automatically get rid of photos on its own, and when we returned I was missing loads (I mean LOADS) of photos, we finally located them all. (I do not have the cloud, but apparently iPhone gives you so much storeage for free and that was where they put them - at least 1,000 photos! - took a day to find them all) The cell phone photos worked well and I got some gorgeous photos for my trip 12 x 12 book.

Once we returned we also bought a new small digital camera for my purse so I don't have that issue with just a cell phone again and we got a Canon PowerShot SX620HS with a 20.2 megapixel 25x zoom. It is also wi-Fi compatible. I haven't used it alot so far but for what I have taken I do like.

Whatever you choose, I hope you will be happy with it!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  15. cfile

I have a camera purse from Epiphany too, for my Canon Rebel Ti3 but it is a huge purse and for the plane I usually take a canvas bag that is additional baggage that I stuff a purse in, I can't take my lovely camera bag with me.

bbymks5 likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@cfile Mine is a regular purse that is large enough my wallet, camera, and phone fit inside it. It's called the Piazza Day Bag, and it looks like they don't make them anymore...Sad! I love it. It has a bunch of pockets, and is bigger than it looks on the inside.

bbymks5 and cfile like this.
  17. cfile

yeah the canon Ti3 without the telephoto would fit snuggly in my purse but then I would worry it wasn't protected.. the powershot fits perfectly in the purse with the iphone and my wallet. I carry everything (do you have a _______ fill in the blank) and I am grabbing it out of my purse ..LOL Piazza Day bag sounds cool. Yeah I paid a lot for my ephinae bag but I love it.

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  18. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I have a iPhone 7 and everything is taken from that including all the editing I do to my photos is done on my phone then I send it right to my email which I then save on my computer so I can use it.
    BUT I would love to have a small camera, every Christmas I say that is going to be my gift to myself and it doesn't happen...............

cfile and bbymks5 like this.
  19. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

It is fun!!! I love taking it to the beach and the pool. It's one of the "tough" models, so it's built to withstand some abuse too. Like I said, it's a great option for situations where I would be worried about my big camera or phone. Here's the link to the one I got... Olympus TG-4.

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I use my iPhone for at least 90% of my pictures. I love that you can just swipe left and the camera is ready to go too. Timmi... you should see if there's a quicker way to get to the camera on your phone... I bet there is.

The only time I bust out my OLD DSLR now is for sports so I have zoom and a faster shutter.

Oh and I have a 10 year old Canon powershot that I still love and use because I have a waterproof case for it, so that goes on beach trips and to the pool, etc. Love that thing and I hope it never dies.

keepscrappin and bbymks5 like this.