Plan for 2017

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by tkradtke, Jan 6, 2017.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

For accountability reasons and just because I feel the need to document this somewhere, I'm sharing my plan for 2017 (I usually post this on my blog, but I seem to have abandoned it).

Here's my general plan:

1. Be more deliberate in the photos I take.
    I have, in the past, just taken photos to be taking photos to have content. I will still take some of those photos (I took one just yesterday), but I will strive to be more deliberate about how I take those photos (lighting, composition, etc).

2. A simple, cleaner style that mimics some paper PL pages I've seen.
    I have attempted this before, but I have a tendency to start piling stuff on at some point. But this year, I would like to work on some other projects as well, so trying to keep PL simple.

3. Use one or two larger photos vs. lots of small poor quality photos or filler when limited on content.

4. This is one I'm still internally struggling with - Scrap PL as a continuous stream of days vs. weekly chunks.
    I really would like to do this, but it honestly scares me since I've always done PL by the week. My weeks are so varied, some weeks have lots of photos, others have almost none. I want to stop stressing about filler on those light weeks and worrying about condensing the heavy weeks. I want to try to just let one week flow into another (I think I will still separate the weeks with a card so there is some separation).

5. Tell more stories... add more journaling.
    I'm hoping the flow mentioned in #4 allows for more/larger journaling cards. I received a planner/diary for Christmas and have been writing in it each night so I have notes for each day when I work on PL.

Supplies:
    Mommyish's Template Maker Actions (bought the new set for more options)
    Photo Edges on my photos for a different (for me) look - Shadows {dressed up} by Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs

Fonts:
    Nevis for labels on photos
    Aleo light for journaling

I think that's it!! I don't want it to be too restricting, just a general guideline of how I would like to switch things up this year.

What about you? What are your plans for this year?

2. destiney1

destiney1 Well-Known Member

i kind of the the continuous stream idea. our weeks are so flexible too. i was thinking of taking a photography class but i don't think they make one for cell phones which is my only camera right now.

jesskab and tkradtke like this.
  3. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

for 2017 I think I will do months with less journaling - because I do sooooo many other layouts throughout the year. I end up telling a story a multitude of times. I still really love the 6x8 format for the PL book... but i don't usually separate my life by week, and I was fighting that for the year in all my PL layouts. So... I think monthly will work better for me. I store photos by month, I load my videos to youTube by month, I typically look at my planner with more of a monthly mindset. Months just seem to suit me better.

so.... my "plan" - 6x8 book. I have monthly cards to separate the months and have the video playlists. I will put in as many journaling cards as I want to for the month recaps, but my month will be mostly photos in that book. I actually like what I read from Courtney awhile ago about how PL to her is not a yearly project, but maybe an every other type thing? so I am going to complete 2016 (only a few weeks left), 2017 will be less words/stories, and then maybe 2018 will be more words and stories again.

I am also anticipating another WITL book for 2017 in October, same time I did the last one. I also like that one as an every other year type project. this feels right for me... for now. :D

I like your thought process in your plan, Tracie!

tkradtke likes this.
  4. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

My main goal is the same as your #1. Be more intentional with my photos.

But overall I do the same thing I've done the last couple of years. I'll gather all my photos from the week on Saturday and scrap my weekly page over the weekend.

I haven't decided what kits I'm going to use yet. I know I'll be my new line of templates.

I do want to add a little more journaling to my pages & give a little more insight to our day-to-day lives.

bestcee and tkradtke like this.
  5. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

If you check out Pinterest, there are so many articles on how to take better phone photos! I mostly use my phone for my photos. General composition photography pins are super helpful too!

tkradtke likes this.
  6. tkradtke

That would be cool! I thought photojojo used to have one but I can't find a class listed anymore.

My case is the opposite. My comfort zone is pocket pages. I tried mixing things up last year with doing more journaling on regular style scrapped pages and they were enough out of my comfort zone that I put them off. And for that reason, I am waaaayyyy behind with printing my PL books. So since is about the only scrapping I do, I need to make sure I get my stories told on my PL pages.

Great sounding plans everyone!

bestcee likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Try looking for iphoneography. Some of them are specific to iphones, but some of them are good for both Android and iphone. Also, if you have an Android, sometimes an app with help you with better photos. I love the Snapseed app for editing!

Yep. I can't commit to this every year. I did 2013, 2014, 1/2 of 2015 and 2016. I'm not doing this year as PL. I am doing A Week in the Life, and I am doing 4 Days in the Life - 1 each quarter. Other than that, my scrapping this year is going to be memory and moment based.

klee73010 likes this.
  8. destiney1

destiney1 Well-Known Member

yeah i've dug around but it is kind of hard since a lot of androids are so different. but i did get a new phone for xmas i went into the store n just asked for the one with the best camera. i knew which one i wanted but they kept trying to sell me the 700$ phones. They were trying to sell me on streaming services and all this other stuff. i was like nope dont care i'm just interested in the camera. which sadly no one seemed to be very knowledgeable. the most they knew was one could project movies. they had to look it up. that will have to work till i can spring for a good dslr.

bestcee likes this.
  9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I plan to do PL every year, but end up doing it about every other year. And I'm ok with that. I mean, each year is different but I feel like every other year still gives a pretty good representation of our lives. I'll probably go back and fill in after the kids are off to college, but in the meantime, I just plug along as well as I can. Anyhow, I finished up 2015 so I'm launching new in 2017!

My "simple" goal is to sit down every single Sunday and do my PL page for that week so that I don't get behind. I'm not sure why I find it hard to keep up with that but I'm really going to try to be disciplined about it. I have this weird psychological thing that when I decide I "have to" do something, I immediately don't want to do it. :D Gotta get over that.

I also need to be more consistent about taking photos. I am doing the Fat Mum Slim Photo a Day this year (at least as much as I can -- I'm not going to be crazy about it if I miss days). I need the inspiration to keep me shooting every day. I love the idea of a phone camera class. I was a photographer back in the day so I have no problem with most "normal" cameras but I still struggle with getting photos that I consider good enough from my iphone. I really need to upgrade it to the newer model (7plus) for the better camera too. I still have a 5 which is years old.

bestcee likes this.
  10. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I'm getting farther and farther behind. I need to get 2013 finished up. Then look forward to 2014 and see what still needs to be done.

I have hundreds of layouts but my books are kind of a hugely scrapped project life/everything approach. i let CT layouts and inspiration take over the past couple years and fell behind on my systematic approach. I want to get things wrapped up.

11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My plan is to use the Journey app to keep track of what happens & when. I have it set to remind me every night at 9 pm so I can quickly type in some notes. If there are a lot of notes, I can access it via my laptop & type them there.

Otherwise, I'm going to run my weeks from M - S and work on the last week's page either Sunday or Monday night.

Most importantly, I'm going to get them done. My PL pages are not the only (or main) scrapping I do; they are the highlights. I don't need to spend more than an hour or two a week on them. If a story needs more than that from me, I need to make it a regular layout vs. trying to make space for it in my PL spreads.

klee73010 likes this.
  12. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

My plan is to go with the flow. If a week needs 3-4 pages, it needs that many. If it only needs one page, it only needs one. I also need to stop looking at other people's pages and wishing my pages were more like theirs. I like to take lots of pictures, and that's showcased on my pages. Sure they might look a little busy, but maybe that's just my style.

Since it's my main form of scrapping, I'm going to keep with my "events" pages which are the ones that ultimately get printed, but it would be nice to have a record of every day life too.

bestcee likes this.
  13. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

Ideally I would love a two page spread a week but whatever it takes has always been my motto. Some weeks are one page and some are three or six or more. I want to take less photos and delete duplicates and similar photos. I also want more white space on my pages, not sure if I can. Also, I tend to journal a lot and don't know if in the future anyone will read it. Maybe? Trying to journal the same in less words. I'm pretty happy with my pages so not many changes except for those and the usual change of font, monthly calendar and title card.

14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm at it again, in pretty much the same style as I ended 2016. But, I may make changes as I go along. When I started PL in 2013 and through 2014, I did one page a week because that was more doable for me. I started 2 page spreads in 2015 and I tend to get a little more behind with those. I am thinking that this year, instead of doing it all at the end of the week, I will do the first page mid-week and the second page at the end. I really like great quality photos on my page, but I also love the really random, spur of the moment ones, even if they are not the best quality...as long as they capture the moment. Too many times, I just don't have the time to compose a beautiful shot lol. I would like to work on getting the best shots that I can, even if it is a quickie snap.

15. tkradtke

I have wanted this for several years now and I just can't do it.... it's not in my DNA I guess! :giggle I so love the look of that style, but I just can't leave things alone when it comes to my pages.

RebeccaH and Mrivas like this.
  16. tkradtke

This is where I'm at with this. I love having those random shots on my pages, but I had found that I had become really sloppy/lazy with my quick snaps lately. For example, right now I'm working on my pages from Thanksgiving and I have a pic I want to use of this cute store we went into. The one and only picture I took was blurry. There's no reason for that particular photo to be blurry. I just didn't bother to stop for the 2 seconds it would have taken to get a focused photo. I don't want to overthink or over-engineer every shot, but I do want to be more mindful of what I'm doing.

17. bestcee

Maybe you just need to look at others that fill the page line you do? I know there's a few scrappers in the gallery who fill their pages with photos for PL. Jan and Tracy do.

18. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I haven't posted much in the gallery but since photography is a serious hobby for me, I pack a lot into my pages too. I have tried to go "simple" at times. It doesn't work for me either!

RebeccaH and bestcee like this.
  19. bestcee

Simple doesn't work for me. It's one of the reasons I love our Pocket Scrapping Gallery! So many different scrappers, and ways they fill their pages.
    Here's an example of one of mine with lots of photos:
    [​IMG]
    And one of Tracie's:
    [​IMG]
    And one of Jan's:
    [​IMG]

20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Pretty much the same as this year! I've done it differently in prior years at another store and while I enjoyed it at the time, it took more time. While I don't use the Project Life app, it was that design that tipped me to what I'm doing now. My one goal is to use more of the journaling/pretty cards I already have. Tagging them a bit more will allow me to see them more easily in Lightroom. Bit by bit...

bestcee likes this.