PL & Real Life

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by littlekiwi, Nov 18, 2016.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I'm so full of questions today (the joy of insomnia!)

Anyway for those of you who work outside the home, how do you document your jobs? I'm realising that if I get the job I'm interviewing for next week I wont have many photos at all (except my commute & lunch!) as its highly confidential & intense work with health & disability (including mental health) consumers & providers processing complaints based on several pieces of relevant legislation

2. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I used to work on defense programs, which meant that I was in the same boat- everything was confidential or classified, and I had VERY few opportunities to take photos. In most of the labs I worked in, cameras, cell phones, or any electronic devices whatsoever (I even had to take my Apple Watch off to go in and work) were strictly not allowed.

Basically, I just had to deal with it. I have a few photos of my office there and a few photos from work lunches out, etc. But realistically you probably aren't going to be able to take many photos besides those you've already mentioned- commute and lunch. :(

Now that I am on the other side of that job and working from home, I find that I am actually okay with how little of that time was documented- I'd rather not remember most of it, anyway!

Lindzee likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

It wouldn't be quite that strict but more that no photos of files or paperwork etc and no identifying details of cases. Looks like I could struggle having enough content for PL next year if thats the case as 40 hours at work 15 hours commuting (away from home 6.45am til 6.45pm), on my own most evenings & weekends due to my mums work schedule of Mon,Wed,Thurs, Sat 11.30am -8pm (or 9,10,11,12,1) & Sunday 3pm til 11.30pm (or 12,1).

4. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Maybe journal cards with one highlight of the day. And something you did that evening or something that you did for yourself during the week. Changing to a different layout so you don't need as many cards. Or even doing Project 52, or something like that. It's hard. I'm empty nest, stay at home and a husband who doesn't want to do anything. I'm changing that process with the help of December but I understand your difficulty. Also you can start looking for things on the way to work or at lunch, sometimes when you are looking for the new and different it starts appearing.

5. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I work in healthcare and the restrictions are similar. I still document my job within those parameters. I take selfies at my desk, making sure there is no private info in the photo. I take photos of the outside of the building or of parts of my work area that are allowed and not private. And, yes, sometimes my commute and my sad desk lunch. :) I haven't done this but another option would be to think about what's going on at work and find publicly available photos that represent it. If your work is like mine, you could probably journal generally about what issues you are seeing at work as long as you don't have personally identifiable info.

littlekiwi likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

Thanks Dawn - the interview for the job is next week so I'm not quite in the job yet but there would be similar restrictions ethically in what ever part of the field I work in because of working with people with disabilities etc.

Cath_ likes this.
  7. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

might you recall maybe a outfit or hair style of a customer you want to remember for the day and find a stock pic, or paper to remind you, and doucument i met a young woman today, this reminds me of her, or something you will rember the case you are working on

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have photos of my computer desk with the screen off, and an empty notebook. I have a photo of the break room. I have photos of my candy jar, or filing system with all the papers blank. And, I love Allison's Not pictured kit for things like that. DH is a nurse, and he'll occasionally take photos of his feet in the hallway, or break room. Perhaps for you, a more monthly approach will work better once you get the job (thinking positively for you!).

For me, Matthew's Kindergarten teacher will share photos with us of the classroom. For posting it here, I will cover the photo with a filler card. But for printing, I'll use the photo. Just for kids privacy sake.

carilyne likes this.