PL in 2017

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by littlekiwi, Dec 23, 2016.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Had great ideas to do PL in 2017 if I was out on my own but being at home again I find I take almost no photos and am on my own a lot as I stay at home while looking for work. If I was to do it i'd do monthly but does anyone have any ideas on how to tackle this since I very much feel at a crossroads in my life.

2. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Tell Stories -- what a day looks like, how celebrate a holiday, what is your life now? Scrappin with Liz has a monthly summary -- 2 pages so you wouldn't need a lot of pictures. Special events. Etc by Danyale and others have pocket type page layouts that have room for lists or story.
    I'm having the same problem as it's just the two of us, really only one of us (hubby is uninvolved).

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

When I started PL, I gave myself an exit plan because I didn't want to be committed to doing a layout a week in that format for life. My original exit plan changed, but it is this year. I'm not doing PL for 2017.

I am planning on doing a month in review page layout. My plan is for it to be a summary page with the highlights of the month on it, good and bad. For example, this December would be:
    - visited family
    - Matthew lost 2 teeth
    - Stitch destroyed blinds
    - No snow in Utah!
    - visited Cactus Museum
    (Etc)

I'll add in some photos from the month, and I want to add in a currently card - watching, reading, playing, apps, etc since while weekly that might me the same, but monthly it will change. Low key, but still meaningful. Perhaps something like that would work for you?

4. littlekiwi

honestly i think my problem is lack of photos which stems from not doing a whole lot. I don't really do activities outside the house apart from seeing my best friend for lunch every so often.

I have tons of PL style templates & supplies so want to use them rather than buy more with being on a limited budget

5. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

What do YOU want out of a project life album?

We can tell you all day different things, but it's not going to answer this question for YOU, and YOUR life.

For me, I want to capture what our days look like now, since my two kids are small and active, and say funny things. But for my project, I accomplish that goal in 6x8 format - one 4x6 of journaling stacked on a 4x6 of photos. I keep it small, and mostly in the Project Life app, so I can finish it (and I'm still behind!). There are no rules.... you can keep it as little or as big as you want. But you have to decide what you want out of it...

If a monthly summary of your school accomplishments and struggles, along with notes of your lunch date, maybe any news stories, or music you listen to.... if all of that is what you want to have in your album, then you know what each monthly spread or layout needs to look like. Maybe it's not 12x12. Maybe it's several months to a 12x12. Maybe "project life" to you is more about learning to take photos and changing your mindset to take photos of everything instead of wishing you did later? Maybe learning a new skill? Again... no rules.

I hope this helps you start formulating that answer in your mind and gives you some direction. :)

mixedclawzz likes this.
  6. littlekiwi

there's no school anymore - haven't had that since Sept. For me PL is an everyday kind of album about what I do but right now it's all the same - get up, eat, be online, eat, rest, eat, be online sleep. I guess I got out of photo taking cause my life became quite boring to me.

7. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Perhaps pl 17 for you is the act of going on new adventures. Maybe start with a short walk, specifically to find something beautiful to photograph... or head to a museum, or something else. If you think your life is boring, are you inspired to photograph and document it? If you are, then think about the things you want to document, and write them down... check them off as you photograph and scrap them. :)
    That is where I would start, personally. Hope this helps!

scrappyjedi likes this.
  8. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i didn't do it this year. i'm thinking about it. if i do it will be for 2015 though. as that is where i'm at and it allows me to work ahead with mpm!

klee73010 likes this.
  9. carilyne

Like I said earlier I haven't decided but as I was thinking about it, One activity a month planned for PL might be a good goal and get me out doing something. Could be anything from describing a normal day, to a park, a walk, meeting a friend for lunch. It might be a start toward some of your goals I read in another thread. Hmm might incorporate that into my plans for the new year.

Aerobigirl likes this.
  10. littlekiwi

thinking PL in 2017 might just be a highlights page each month at least til i'm working - it's so hard to make a plan beyond this week to be honest cause I have no idea what I could be doing

11. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Something I like to document in my PL is how my neighborhood changes.... sometimes that's seasonal stuff like decorations or the trees, other times it's new businesses or old ones closing... and sometimes it's large scale construction projects. They tore down a building three doors down and I took some pics before it went down and the demolition process. I'm glad that I did because we're already beginning to forget how things looked before.

klee73010 likes this.
  12. carilyne

Your book is just going to evolve and change as your life changes. It will be more reflective of real life that way. No one said it had to be all the same all the way through does it? (Cuz if so I'd be in trouble). I'd make a goal for January and then re-evaluate every month. Could be fun.

littlekiwi likes this.
  13. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

When I started with PL I didn´t make a full spread every week - I had two weeks per spread. So that might be an idea.
    I do full spreads every week now and I like to insert things like what TV show I watch, fav things or funny memes occationally.
    Some friends of mine do PL just about special events like travels and holidays.

I did contemplate over if 2017 would be digital or paper (all my others are in paper) but somehow I bought new inserts and a binder yesterday so paper it is! LOL!

14. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I'm going to do my normal Project Life Yearbook of sorts, where I use pocket scrapping style and just do the major events for the year. This is the book that I get printed. For myself, I keep saying I'm going to do a 1-page spread per week, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

bestcee likes this.
  15. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

For 2016 (which I am WAY behind with) I am going full diary mode. There was so much (good and bad) that happened this year and I want to remember it and look back on it and be thankful. I'm committed to being much more than a picture taker and more of a memory keeper for my family. I'm hoping to do the same in 2017. I used my happy planner to write things down when I didn't have time to scrap so I could go back and scrap the memories. Not every page will be a pocket page and some will be full pages of journaling. I'm blending everything together.

tkradtke likes this.
  16. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

This is my goal for 2017. I want to tell more stories. The original concept of PL worked great for me in the beginning as I got back into scrapbooking. Bullet points about our week was the extent of my journaling for years. Now I want to tell more of the story... my DYD album this year has gotten me into the storytelling mode. I'm still going to have pocket pages as my base, but I'm not limiting myself to only pocket pages. I have a new planner in which I plan on taking lots of notes so I have my journaling ready for when I work on my pages. I'm anxious to see how it goes... but I'm still about two months behind with 2016 :-/

MrsGaramer likes this.
  17. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I live on my own and don't do much exciting things and don't take much photo's. But I do like to do PL because when I look back at the beginning of 2016, I can see such a different me! I love to look and read through my journey of life, even though some people might find it not interesting or worthy, I care about it. In a way, it is my diary. But then pretty. :)

I think you should totally do it if you want to. If I can make it work, so can you.

bestcee likes this.