Passwords

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rdjrneace, Jul 15, 2017.

1. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

With everything requiring a password today (almost every website) how do you keep track of your passwords?

I have tried writing them down (I know bad) but then I forgot to write one down and oops try over and over only to have to hit the "forgot password".

I have thought about getting a password program but don't know what is good or bad.

I welcome any suggestions.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Ugggg :badputer

I admit I write them down......

londoncuppa, KellyM and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  3. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I'm bad because I use the same 2 passwords in 80% of the internet.
    I also have a book of written down passwords.

School (work) is different, we have to update 4 times a year so I used to have passwords like Summer2017, Winter2016, etc. Because 50% our my colleagues also did this, they changed the 'rules'. It wasn't allowed that the last time I had to change. (makes sense, a student or anyone could have opened our laptop or account by thinking and trying a bit)
    So now I ended up with a song lyrics. It's annoying because it's way too long but it's also fun because it makes me hum that song for a bit.

KellyM, bellbird and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  4. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I also write them down. And I have software for it, but if you are likely to forget to write them down, you might also be likely to forget to enter them in the software. Also, I don't particularly like the fact that they are stored on my computer where they theoretically could be hacked.

I once read a tip on how to create a different password for every site which is then easy to remember so you never have to write them down or anything, so I try to remember to do that with new sites, but still I have tons from other sites. It's a pain.

5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I write mine down. Except for financial sites like my bank and Paypal, which I write down but in code. :)

I'm longing for the day when we can use our thumbprint or something like that for everything.

bellbird and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  6. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

I have a box with 3x5 index cards filed alphabetically. Like Rikki, I don't want to store them on my computer where they could be hacked, and it's easy to destroy one index card if needed.

londoncuppa, KellyM and berniek like this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I use a simple throw away password for all accounts that require a password, but I don't care if they get hacked. I even have most of them memorized by my browser. For others, I have notes in my Contacts folder, but they are coded. For the important ones like the bank, Paypal, etc. I have them memorized.

We tend to use pet names and numbers (either how old they are - or the year of their passing). However we do vary the capitalization and use of special symbols. I also like to use short sentences with each word capitalized. My daughter likes to use misspelled words, ie. puppys instead of puppies.

8. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I hate them. I wish I could use my fingerprint for everything. I'm one of those people who use the same password for everything. So far, so good, no one has hacked me. I have some of them written in the Notes app on my iPhone. But once, that somehow all got deleted so I had to start all over again.

9. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I put them in a password protected msWord document that is on a separate drive. I don't write down financial ones.

10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I'm pretty bad...I use the same couple of passwords everywhere, just varying capitals and symbols here and there. I do have a couple written down that I had to do a bit differently. I keep meaning to come up with another system, but so far I'm just too lazy.

11. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have mine all written down in the front of my diary as well.
    Gone are the days that I remember everything.

12. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have them written... they are stored in a file with a name only I would remember. DH would be able to crack that, but not any others. :giggle

KellyM likes this.
  13. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I am glad to know that I am the only one that has to write this stuff down.

14. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Oh gawd....the whole password thing drives me insane.
    :crazy3:tantrum

londoncuppa and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I hate when we have to make new passwords either because of a time frame password restriction b/c I have a few that I always use and when I can't use them anymore, I have to make new ones and the never remember. I just cringe anytime I have to enter passwords b/c I never know if they are going to work or not...ugh.

I know it is soooooo not recommended but I try to remember to write my passwords down in a little book and then take a pic of it so I can call it up on my phone when needed. I don't put my paypal or banking one in there b/c that's just too scary, thinking what could happen with that but most of my forum/website passwords I take a pic.

16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I have mine typed up and password protected. I also have them all typed up and printed in a secret place in the house. Not sure this is secure...but it's what I do.

17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

If it's a stupid site where there's nothing actually hackable in my opinion (usually freebie accounts) then it's a silly password like: ShutUp!123 Go ahead and find out that I got a freebie pdf about homeschool :agree
    If it's TLP, or other sites that are actually important, then it makes me happy to type it in.
    If it's a banking account, then it's a secure one that I will remember, varies per site, and requires 2 step authorization.

So I'm really just remembering three passwords. I don't save card numbers to any website, just in case.

If it's one of those sites that make you change every 90 days, and it can't be anywhere close to the last one, and can't be recognizable as a word, you know the type!, than it's something crazy that I end up emailing to myself because it's only good for 90 days anyway. I know it's a bad practice, but I can't remember how long ago I changed it from This1sSt00pid to YShouldI? And yes, it's usually a sarcastic answer to a frustrating moment.

Overall, DH knows the password to my email, and can reset any password if he needed to (death, or otherwise). And that's all that's important to me.

I don't trust Password keepers, because if I were a hacker, I'd hack those sites! :giggle

18. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I have mine written down. Mostly for all the sites that don't have financial info. DH is a Network Admin, so he was adamant that I don't keep them on my PC, like I was before ROFL
    We actually use Pass Pack. Online diary for passwords that encrypts and keeps them safe. And you can share access so you and hubby can both have the passwords.

https://www.passpack.com/

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

exactly this - and then i can never remember which ones have like an extra number or a random capital and i hit 'forgot password' and get locked out of my own stuff on occasion :badputer i'm reluctant to trust them to chrome's remember this password thingy

20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

LOL genius!