Oh Canada (and montana/glacier national park)!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by amien1, Apr 12, 2018.

1. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

So last year we did an epic road trip through Yellowstone & South Dakota & back. THIS year- we are planning to do a loop through Canada & Montana/Glacier national park! Both kiddos have their passports due to our Christmas trip to mexico- so we figured we might as well use them!

Our ROUGH itinerary is this:
    [​IMG]

We have an entire week (plus the weekends on either side) that we can be gone- July 28- August 5th! We want to have a rough idea of stops & hotels, but be a little loosey goosey on travel times so we can do/stop as we please! My kids are great road trippers & are at good ages for doing fun activities (read: hiking, exploring etc.)

SOOOOOO my questions to my mates to the north (or those who have visited the area) what is on the MUST SEE/DO list? Is there somewhere NOT on our map that should be?
    We are a hockey family too- so Hubby is wanting to shop for gear while we're up there also!

Thank you in advance!!!

KatrinaHunt13 likes this.
  2. adejong

adejong Glutton for punishment

The badlands around Drumheller are really neat but that's a bit of a side-trip from Calgary. If you want mountains without crowds, Kananaskis (about and hour west of Calgary) is beautiful but not touristy like Banff. Although Banff is amazing, especially if you travel up the parkway towards Columbia Icefields/Jasper.

amien1 likes this.
  3. amien1

We'll probably 'drive thru' both Banff & Kananaskis- which means we have no plans but can stop if we see something cool! I'll look into the Icefields/Jasper area! Thank you!

We will probably be staying in Calgary- daughter wants to go to the zoo! Any ideas of where to stay?

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That looks like and sounds like an awesome trip Amie! I have no suggestions as I've only been to Spokane once and we did stuff around there that you've probably already done as it looks like you live there. We went to a mountain that had a huge gondola ride that was pretty cool, but it was February or something, so cold. Lol. I like it was Coeur d'Alene? And we saw lots of bald eagles. At that time we didn't have many in Michigan so that was super cool to see. Anyway, I'll live vicariously through you! Have a wonderful trip!

amien1 likes this.
  5. amien1

Thanks Karen! There was a gondola ride that went over the river downtown at Riverfront Park? I think there is also some gondola's up at Silver Mountain- which isn't too far from CDA! Yes- the bald eagles are at the lake every year! It's pretty cool! :)

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Silver Mountain!! That was it! I remember I bought a hat there because I hadn’t thought to pack one. And I still have that hat. And I think CDA was where we went for a steak dinner place and the eagles were across the road around the lake. It was about 12 years ago... so things are a bit fuzzy! :giggle

amien1 likes this.
  7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

There’s lots of great hikes around Banff and Lake Louise (which is a must see). Accommodation in that area is really difficult to get tho in the middle of summer (tons of bus tours). You may do better staying at Radium or Fairnont, both of which have great hot springs. You’ll also going through Kootenay National Park (marble Canyon/Johnson Canyon are both great hikes and not too hard).

amien1 likes this.
  8. amien1

I'm thinking we'll stay the night in Fairmont- it's only 5 hours from home. Then we'll stay the next night somewhere past Banff (maybe even in Calgary?) but stop & see everything along the way- lake louise is on our list too! To stay at the Fairmont Hotel at Lake Louise on our dates was $1999 a night!!! :faint2 SO- that's not happening! lol! Thanks for the hiking tips!

9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I really recommend going to Moraine Lake near Banff. It is spectacular and a bit less touristy than Lake Louise. We timed it to get there early before too many people.

tjscraps and amien1 like this.
  10. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Is that where the road to the sun is? That super scary road along the mountain that's supposed to be beautiful?

My brother took his kids to the zoo, an apiary, and the Olympic Park when he was in Calgary a few years ago.

I recommend: a real kinder egg not those kinder joy things they sell here.
    Trying some chip flavors that are new to you: ketchup, dill pickle. The all dressed are different in Canada then the us version too.
    Find poutine and try it.
    Chocolate. It can be brought back. Smarties (chocolate) are my kids favorite. If you have allergy kids, quite a few are nut free factories.
    Tim Hortons. Go for the donuts. The hot chocolate is good. I don't drink coffee, but my Canadian family likes their coffee.

What can I say? I'm all about the food!

@tjscraps if Trina is around, she lives near this area!

amien1 likes this.
  11. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

Thanks @bestcee I'm about an hour north of Calgary :)

Go to Moraine Lake! It is literally my favourite spot on earth. Get there early though, it fills up and they don't even let you drive up the mountain if it's full. This is my daughter there a few years ago - No Filter! There's some easy hiking there.
    [​IMG]

Bow Falls - in Banff, they're very pretty and worth the stop! There's also a Gondola to go to the top of the mountain in Banff. Pricey but great views, and you can hike (easy hike) to this other point to see more. Actually maybe won't seem pricey because our dollar sucks right now. Drive to the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel and walk the grounds, it's such a neat looking hotel (looks like a castle). Very pricey though!
    [​IMG]

Johnston Canyon! Again get there early, but so majestic!
    http://banff.ca/index.aspx?NID=648

Between Calgary and Banff is Bow Valley Provincial Park. It is lovely, and not touristy so a great place to have a picnic lunch, skip rocks or something. This is the day use area-
    [​IMG]

Also near Banff, on the other side of the Trans-Canada highway is Lake Minnewanka. I have lived here my whole life and we just found this place a couple years ago. It is very pretty too, worth the drive! Lots of wildlife on that highway from the Trans Canada up to the lake, usually goats but we saw a ton of moose when we went last year. It was really smokey last year (tons of wildfires) so no great pics, but we enjoyed it!

Calgary area - the zoo is fun! There's also Calaway Park, on the way out to Banff. It's a Flintstones Themed amusement park. We like the Acclaim hotel near the airport to stay, it's generally 90-120 a night, always clean, free parking and Tim Hortons down the street. No breakfast though. My 10 yr old daughter likes it because there's a TV in the bathroom lol

You said your hubby is a hockey fan - there's the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, about 1.5 hours north of Calgary in Red Deer (my hometown). I haven't been in years so I don't know what they have for hockey but that's an idea. 3 hours north of Calgary is the world's biggest mall - there's an amusement park and water park in there, plus sea lions, a boat, submarines, mini golf, you name it. It might be way too far out of your way though!

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

bestcee and amien1 like this.
  12. amien1

@tjscraps You are amazing! Those are wonderful suggestions! We looked into staying at the fairmont castle hotel & it was $1999 american! Yikes! That's NOT in our budget for a summer road trip for ONE night! lol! We will definitely check it out- same with Morian Lake- that sounds wonderful!

Tentatively- we are staying at the Fairmont Hot springs- about 5 hour drive from home. We will dink around there that night & then head to Lake louise (map says about 2 hours) We will explore there the remainder of the day. The next day- I think we'll hit Moraine Lake right away as it sounds busy (even though it'll be a wednesday?) then head to calgary. Our plan is to stop & explore Banff, and any other areas we wish & END up at Calgary for the night. Does that sound reasonable? I imagine hiking around Moraine Lake in the am, then Banff in the afternoon- I'm not sure the kids will want to do more than stop to look at cool stuff.

13. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Banff is a very cute little town to walk around if you like to shop. They have shops that range from touristy to fancy. And some really good restaurants. We ate at the kischty restaurant, The Grizzly, which had a "fondu" that you would cook on a super-hot stone. It was fun and different (and really tasty). The Banff Gondola is spectacular.

amien1 likes this.
  14. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

Sorry, I've had a busy week and haven't had a chance to log in. Yes, that sounds like a good itinerary - Lake Louise and Moraine Lake are really close to each other (like 10 miles - straight up hill) so you could probably do them same day. Finding a hotel might be a little hard there spur of the moment, but depends on what's going on. Doesn't matter weekday or weekend in the summer, it's BUSY. I would plan to go to Radium Hot Springs too - much more scenic than the Fairmont ones, although both are great!

Like dawnmarch said Banff has really cool shops (and neat "all way" crosswalks) and places to eat. A few candy places and lots of places for kids stuff, fudge shops ... can you tell we go for the food? lol! There's a neat playground too close to the bridge that you go over to get to the castle hotel. And that's an insane price for there! I get to stay there for a conference in November, for about $200 a night. Hubby is going to try and join me for the conference because we could never afford to stay there otherwise.

amien1 likes this.
  15. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

enjoy!! Sounds like a great vacation.

I live on the other side of Canada (Ontario) and have never been out west so I can't offer any suggestions.

amien1 likes this.