Nov./Dec. Book Club :

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by crystalbella77, Sep 20, 2016.

1. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Soon after I read the chapter in which we realize he's trying to commit suicide I didn't want to read it anymore. Too close to home and too recent. My daughter has been dealing with depression all year. Things are going better now, but still didn't want to read that. :( Also, the book was due and had a hold on it so I couldn't renew.

2. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I have mixed feelings about this book. The character reminded me too much of my stoic and grumpy father-in-law and my own husband (an apple who clearly didn't fall far from the tree) I do know some of the always complaining and looking for the next problem instead of the next solution, is cultural and some is just being a rather negative personality. All things worked out for Ove in the book. He changed by the end. Sadly people rarely change in real life.

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

So I just finished reading this book a day or so ago. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. The thing I did like about it was that it shows that even people who don't appear to be so lovable on the surface can have very redeeming qualities and can be lovable. I was more endeared to the people around Ove that were able to look past his complete grumpiness. Spoiler>>> I didn't expect to get choked up by the ending when Ove passed away (but thankfully not by suicide) but I totally did. Parvanah was my favorite character... and her daughters. <<< Spoiler end

I read the first half of the book and then switched to the audiobook... It was so weird to hear them read Ove.... it's pronounce Ooh-vah.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  4. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

I have to say that I LOVE this book! It´s one of the best I read and it really captures the Swedish soul in a way. We might look cool and a little reserved but underneath there's so much going on. I have to admit that I haven't seen the film yet. It has one of Sweden's most popular male actors playing Ove and I will see it soon! <3