Not Worth the Hype?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, Apr 19, 2018.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

We've all been there...we've either made something or bought something because of ALL they hype around a recipe, pattern, product, only to have it fall short of our expectations.

My most recent purchase that wasn't worth the hype (on Sunday) is Kerrygold butter...tastes too much like the margarine my mother used to buy when I was little *bleh*

Last purchase that was TOTALLY worth the hype was my Instant Pot!!! Love that thing!

What about you?

2. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Nothing I can think of, but interesting about your Instant Pot as I am thinking of getting one. What brand did you buy??

bbymks5 likes this.
  3. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

As far as something that wasn't worth the hype: Can I name something that DH bought and promised would basically revolutionize his cooking--but didn't? He got a mandolin slicer thingy. He promised to use it every time he needed to cut veggies for a recipe or just to cut up carrots for the kids' lunches (he's the cook in our family). He put it together and used if for the first time. It jammed. He kind of figured out that it was his fault, so he laughed it off and said he'd try again. He's used it maybe twice since then and we've had it for a year now. I actually moved it out of the kitchen cupboard (it takes up so much space!) and put it downstairs with our "occasional" kitchen items (specialty cake pans, the Dutch oven, etc). It was down there at least a month before he came up the basement steps with an accusatory look in his eye and said "I can't believe you put this downstairs and thought I wouldn't notice!" Well, he didn't notice until he went down there to grab the Dutch oven, which was on the shelf below the stupid mandolin!

As for something worth the money: we recently switched to Google Fi for our cell phone service. I was leery because worried wouldn't have good cell reception and we didn't have any friends with Fi whom we could ask what they really thought. Long story short: our last bill (for our two lines) was under $42. (We paid outright for new phones, so that doesn't include a phone purchase.) I swear I'm not trying to get the people reading this to switch. I just feel like every month I can look at our cell phone bill and think "That's a really good value" whereas before I'd look at our phone bill and think "But I barely call anybody! And I'm scared to use data cuz it costs so much if we go over our 250MB limit!" Fi is "pay for what you use" for data. Last month we were charged $1.50 cuz we'd only used 150MB.

bestcee, Cherylndesigns and bbymks5 like this.
  4. bbymks5

I ordered this one from Amazon; it's one of their older models but I haven't had ANY issues!! I've never had the "burn" warning come on. I've been making hardboiled eggs in it (place a dozen large eggs on the rack it came with, press the egg button 5 mins, 5 mins natural release and then cold bath) and they are SO easy to peel!

You won't regret getting one!

5. bbymks5

Buuuuahahaha!!!! Has he used his stupid mandolin since bringing it back up?!!? My luck, if I tried using one of those I'd slice my fingers someway, somehow!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hmmmm... I'l have to think about what I bought that didn't live up to the hype, lol!

I recently bought a single cup Keurig to take with us on vacation, and then I would bring it to work. I love this little machine! The best. Would buy again, plus I got it with a discount, so it ended up being $20ish dollars.
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe, Iowan and bbymks5 like this.
  7. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I can't think of a not worth the hype thing, but one that was totally worth the hype I learned from @AnneofAlamo when she scrapped a page about her Rapid Dash Egg Cooker thing. I tried to find the layout just now since it was hilarious! But I bought that when we closed on our house in November & I've probably done more than 10 dozen eggs with it for Josh & I & for my parents at work. LOVE that thing! Haven't used the omelet or other feature on it, but it makes perfect hardboiled eggs. If @AnneofAlamo were here with her page you'd get it! :giggle

bbymks5 likes this.
  8. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I held out for years on letting our family have an ipad. I just thought my kids would want it all the time.
    Last November we had to get one for our son (to work with his cochlear implants). Well, let's just say that I love that thing. There are a few school apps and listening apps that we use all the time. It's actually been quite the time saver. And my kids think it's just for school or the cochlear implants. ;)

As far as regrets...I can't think of any right now. I'm usually a careful shopper and will think about something for a several months before purchasing something.

Iowan and bbymks5 like this.
  9. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

We love Kerrygold butter! And Kerrygold cheese, too. It goes great with our new philosophy of eating clean, grass-fed, organic foods, uncured meats. The least amount of processing the better. Nothing out of boxes, made from scratch if possible.

I do agree with the Instant Pot. I love my IP! I tried to cook on the stove the other day and I had to really think about what I was doing. I like the one pot convenience and easy clean-up.

bbymks5 likes this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

LOL, no, he hasn't used it again. And as for thethe slicing-your-finger issue: maybe that's really why this thing bothers me. He isn't very detail-oriented so I worry that he'll cut himself. Maybe I'll bring it back downstairs and see how long it takes him to notice. I won't get rid of it but I won't tell him I've moved it again, either. A

londoncuppa and bbymks5 like this.
  11. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

OMG! I just remembered something that I bought last month that I swore I would never buy - a selfie stick! I always laugh at people using them. I laugh at my daughter for using one. Then we found ourselves in the middle of the forest in front of a beautiful waterfall on a cold, snowy day without another person in sight. The next day I ordered one from Amazon. I've used it several times, including at the beach a few weeks ago. My husband and I are both in the pictures that I took on that trip, instead of just him!

Speaking of Amazon - Prime is the best thing ever, isn't it?

12. bbymks5

You sound like me!! *just move this and see how long it takes so and so to notice* And you know those blades are SHARP!!!

Tree City likes this.
  13. bbymks5

Oh yeah!!! A Keurig is totally worth it!!!

I've never heard of these!! I'll have to Google and check for Anne's page LOL!

YAS!!! An ipad is definitely worth the hype! I don't use mine all the time, but I am thankful for it when I do!

When it comes to high dollar items I'm the same way...I probably over-research it, but I'd rather do that, than regret it!

I wish I liked it...the best butter I've ever had, hands down was from a local Polish deli in the shape of a lamb! But they only have them around Easter. I've been a lazy KETOer lately, but we do watch what meats we buy also!

Glad you love your IP like I do! Best kitchen gadget I've ever made!

My girls LOVE their selfie sticks when they can find them!! I should probably grab one too...they are handy!

Amazon Prime is LIFE!!

londoncuppa likes this.
  14. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Amazon prime is AWESOME! I love it for so many reasons. The free shipping, the convenience, the free photo storage and the movies. I didn't realize just how many movies and tv shows were free on it. I've been binge-watching Numb3rs lately.

I can't think of anything that wasn't worth the hype recently. I admit I have been disappointed by things in the past, but just can't think of any right now.

bbymks5 likes this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Love my Amazon Prime. Hmm, those cheap, cheaper, and cheapest veggie sprializer things. I can not imagine spending $40 on one, but those cheap ones are crap.

Rice cooker -- my dd begged for one and so she got one with her money. She loves it!!! Makes perfect sticky rice. We love her Keriug too, but her Nutri-bullet died. And yes, I keep joking I need a second kitchen to store all her cooking/baking stuff. I am serious about getting a set of shelves for the spare bedroom to hold her occasional use stuff.

My latest favorite tool ?? I got a Shark vacuum that is super lightweight, swivels, and gets all kinds of dog & cat hair out of the carpet. I bought a carpet cleaner last week, but it is still in the box. Too much babysitting this week to try it out.

bbymks5 likes this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

This is our latest "not worth the hype" purchase. They crow about these on TV all the time. I was so excited when we got this and it wasn't too long before it sprung a leak. I decided one little leak wasn't a big deal, but pretty soon, it was leaking like a sieve. So, I returned it to Lowe's and decided to try one more. Same thing. Not worth the hype. I went back to the old heavy hose that I have to wrestle with.

pocket hose.jpg

bbymks5 likes this.
  17. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Hummmm, I have two of them and I love them. Going on three years and no leaks

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  18. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Not worth the hype - Sparkling Iced Tea.....now I love iced tea but that was bad when it came out and I was reminded how much I hated it when I tried a Peach Iced Tea Summer Sparkler from Wendy’s last month....ugh

Worth the hype....hmm not sure

bbymks5 likes this.
  19. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I actually ordered a Purple Mattress.. wow. Seriously, WOW. My shoulder went from hurting all the time (I'm a side sleeper, because of all my pregnancies and now I can't change to save my .. well.. shoulder, which is still 'life' right? hehe) to me waking up and feeling GREAT. And we had a really nice "expensive" mattress before that that had been lovely but was just not cutting it.

bestcee, bbymks5 and cfile like this.
  20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

we got a Leesa Mattress which is exactly like the purple.. I am in agreement Serena.. Nice mattresses :)

bbymks5 and Serena like this.