New Mac and CC ... Saving for Web looks awful now!

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Tiff, Oct 1, 2016.

1. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

It's not a photoshop issue it's a screen resolution issue.

2. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

@mollyc I still struggle with it. I don't however notice a difference on my fuzzy LOs here vs elsewhere. They seem fuzzy everywhere. Depending on how I save I get fuzzy photos - but the worst thing is my text is unreadable at times. It drives me nuts. Lately I've been using an action made by @lorryfach (she gave it to me to convert 8.5 x 11 sized LOs to appear square in the gallery) but I started using it more often -even on my pages that were already square.

She sharpens with a Highpass filter set to Linear Light @lorryfach I hope it's ok to share your method here? You gave us a link to your action in the forum awhile ago. I will see if I can dig it up again. But this is the settings in her action:
    [​IMG]

I feel like when I use this Save As action - to me, on my 5K retina monitor - things looks sharper after uploading. (I still have to use File>Export>Save For Web (legacy) to get the file size down to under 250K for gallery sharing though).

mollyc likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

sorry- I found the old thread with the action - but it is no longer working. But try the settings to see if they help you @mollyc - or maybe tweak to your liking? let us know if you come up with something too! :beat

mollyc likes this.
  4. mollyc

Oh, thanks, @jenn mccabe! I haven't been posting many LOs because I haven't been scrapping, and I've only had my new computer for a few days, so I'm still figuring things out. But the one I posted today here is blurry on the 5K screen and looks okay on my old 2012 screen.

I did read that some websites can automatically resize images for retina vs. non retina, so my suspicion is that this website does not do that conversion, especially since there are size limits for uploads. And actually, if I look at the site images like the like and quote buttons at the end of each post, they are also a bit blurry. Because FB is so huge, it would make sense that their coding can interpret the retina sized images, and the other site I post on regularly is a photo sub forum of an Apple site, so it would make sense that it would also cater to the Retina crowd.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  5. mollyc

@jenn mccabe What are the initial pixel dimensions and resolution you are using before you set the canvas to 700px wide?

jenn mccabe likes this.
  6. mollyc

interesting. I tried those setting with an initial file size of 700px tall (because I also scrap letter sized) and 150 px, and while it seems super tiny in PS, it does actually look a bit better here. I will keep tweaking. Thanks for the start, @jenn mccabe and @lorryfach.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

I just start with a 12 inch x 12 inch canvas at 300, new doc - and then just run the action Lorry provided. Yes it is super tiny!

mollyc likes this.
  8. mollyc

Oh, the image size in the second step isn't drilled down, so I can't see it, but I think it must be 700px tall (because she sets the width to 700px wide to make it a square. Just not sure what the resolution for that step is.

9. mollyc

I'm pretty sure it is a limitation of the way TLP is set up and not a matter of saving it differently. My guess is that as the 5K monitors become more standard across the board that sites will update their framework to accept the higher resolution images and display them properly.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  10. jenn mccabe

I think so! and sorry about that one bit not being drilled down. it reads:
    Image Size:
    Height 700 pixels
    With scale styles
    With constraint proportions
    Interpolation: Automatic

mollyc likes this.
  11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

You guys!!!! Remember when I got my new laptop... and I kept saying my images were fuzzy and it was driving me batty! I even posted a layout to check with everyone, since I thought I was going crazy! I wonder if it has anything to do with my display being 4K and the content not being 4K compatible? I'm just thinking out loud, and I did make some changes and it doesn't loos *as* fuzzy... but sometimes, it does.

12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I read on a blog once that they doubled the width or something on images to make it not look blurry. Because the retina screen stretches images to fit or something because it has more pixels or something?
    I don't have a mac, so I didn't pay a ton of attention. I stumbled on it when I was helping Jenn try to figure out what was going on with her 4k screen.

jk703 likes this.
  13. mollyc

Yes, I was the one who posted the link on that but it doesn't work for this site, and TLP has a pixel limitation to keep file sizes down.

14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I was in your gallery... and the last few images don't appear blurry to me at all, Molly. Just in case you wondered.

I had a thread after I felt like I worked out most of the blurryness when saving asking if the layout was blurry to others. I was told they didn't look blurry, so, in the end, I have my settings and keep using them, though on my screen it still appears a smidge blurry. (At work, it's not, so I think it's a combo on my screen and TLP). @mollyc

mollyc likes this.
  15. mollyc

Thanks, @jk703.

Interestingly, when I look through old LOs, they look a little blurry, but not a ton. I think the reason yesterday's look so different is because I could have it on screen as the same time it was up in PS - so it looks *really* bad next to one another. But the others, while saved exactly the same from the old computer aren't side by side in PS, so they just look "normal" blurry.

I did some research, and I think TLP uses vBulletin for their hosting (I know they used to at least) and you do have to do a backend code to read the high resolution images for them to display properly on the 5K monitors. I assume TLP has not added that in to the site.

jk703 likes this.
  16. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Yeah, I just gave up and I don't notice it anymore.
    Nobody is complaining about my pages not being proper quality, so I just figured the issue was just with my screen and having seen the 'real', full colour page and then the save-for-web page next to each other.

mollyc likes this.
  17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Still being betwixt computers, I'm not scrapping much either and def not in PSCC right now BUT why not ask @lmccandless about the site settings?

18. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

There were quite a few incorrect assumptions in this thread. We do not use vBulletin and have not for many years. (By the way, it's a software, not a host.) As well, we do not compress or in any way alter the images when you upload them to TLP's gallery. It's not a limitation of TLP or any compression of the image by the site. It's the handling of the images by retina display screens.

I appreciate the feedback on what you're seeing and will take into consideration for future site development.

This is a suitable work around.

bestcee likes this.
  19. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Thanks Laura. Always good to have facts from 'she who knows'!

enjoyyourpix, bestcee and lmccandless like this.
  20. mollyc

I certainly didn't mean any offense, Laura. I also never stated (or thought) that TLP compresses the images, because heretofore they have always matched my original image after upload. I am fully aware that this is a retina display problem, but in researching workarounds, none of them seemed to work for TLP (even doubling the width), while on other websites and forums, they do work and I see crystal clear images (both my own and from other people). It's disappointing to work so hard on a LO and want to share it and then see it all fuzzy, but I was aware that might be an issue when I purchased this computer.

I hope over time that all websites automatically display the higher resolution images, as I imagine the trend for 4k and 5k displays will only grow, rather than subside.

Kat likes this.