Need help with using styles in Photoshop CS2 - please, please

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by flowersgal, Jan 5, 2018.

1. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

I have watched Mommyish's video and purchase a couple of styles in the last two days. I was actually able to load them into my preset manager but cannot figure out how to use them. Could anyone please give me a step by step guide? I followed what I thought were Leah's instructions but nothing happened.

Ackk.....

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I don't have CS2. But I'll see if I can help.
    Where are you getting stuck?
    Can you see the styles in your list?

3. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I used to have CS3 and it worked basically the same as the newer versions for adding styles and using them.
    Have you made sure the layer you want to add the style to is active - highlighted in the layers palette. Then you just click on the style from the style palette that you want to use.
    Depending on the style you are wanting to use.. the effect sometimes is very subtle and you may need to zoom in a little.

bestcee likes this.
  4. flowersgal

@bestcee, @A-M Thanks. I have fiddled and fiddled and think I finally have it figured out after googling and reading some stuff on the internet. I do have one question though: is it possible to apply two styles to one layer (i.e. just did the vellum chevron layer, can I also use a shadowing style on it?) If so, do I commit the first one and then go back into the styles palette again? It seems when I just click on the style it previews it but when I move on to a second style the first style disappears.

5. A-M

Once you use one style if you do not rasterize that layer and add a second style, the second one over-rides the first one.
    With the layer active that you added the first style to... right click and choose "rasterize layer style" then you can add the second one. But now you cannot alter the first style once you rasterize it. The only way to alter it would be to go back in history and then that undoes the second style.

Another way which I think you can do with CS2 is that if you are capable of creating your own shadowing you can do this: add your first style to the layer then double click on the little fx of that layer in the layer panel and a pop up screen will open where you then can add your own shadow.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    bestcee likes this.
  6. flowersgal

@A-M thanks again for this info about the need to rasterize the layer. I was able to do the second technique and do my own shadowing on the layer (although I never feel like mine is as realistic as I would like). This whole using of styles is going to take some practice to know how and when to use them.

bestcee likes this.
  7. A-M

@flowersgal It is rasterizing the layer style not the layer itself.

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

There is another way to add two styles at the same time without rasterizing... unless both styles have the same type of adjustments like if they both have a drop shadow.... but anyway, add the first style like the vellum and then to add a drop shadow style... hold SHIFT down while clicking the second style and it'll just add to the first style. :) Hope this helps!

wvsandy, KellyM, lmccandless and 3 others like this.
  9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I did not know this "shift" trick! Cool - have to try this!

cfile and Karen like this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

^^Me, neither! I just played around with some styles on a journal card just to check it out! Thanks @Karen

jenn mccabe and Karen like this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

You can also click on the layer and make it a group... so you have the style on the layer, then you group that layer (highlight the layer only) and click on the folder icon or shortcut [Ctrl or Cmmd + G] and then apply a style to the group :)

you can have only one layer in a group :) this way you don't have to rasterize style layers etc.

This will reflect the style on the layer and then the second style on the group :)

12. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

This is definitely news to me, I am going to try this out! Thanks Karen!

KellyM and Karen like this.
  13. jenn mccabe

Did not know this method either. Love when you all teach us new PS tricks. Thanks for the tip Christa!

KellyM, Karen and cfile like this.
  14. cfile

You are welcome Jenn. I don't always have luck with the shift .. I am just glad now that the PS CC2018 allows style stacking :)

jenn mccabe likes this.
  15. jenn mccabe

What is that? Is that something different than what you and/or karen already mentioned?

16. cfile

In photoshop CC 2018 the newest version in the style pallet if there is a + sign like the shadow, you can have multiple style adjustments in there .. just click on the + in the style pallet and it will add another... then you can tweek that one.. not all of the styles can stack ie more than one of the same but shadows is definitely a stackable style... Here are the style adjustments that can be stacked with the + sign that I marked in yellow:

stackable styles.JPG
    now here is the sample with the stacked drop shadow. Of course the dulplicate can be adjusted to different settings to further tweek your shadows for more realism. This is what I mean re stacking styles.

stackable styles2.jpg
    Hope that makes sense Jenn @jenn mccabe :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    wvsandy, KellyM, lmccandless and 5 others like this.
  17. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@cfile Christa, I only found that out by accident when I clicked the Plus sign when meant to click the drop shadow "bar" to adjust it. Since I didn't know what the heck I was doing, I didn't adjust it or anything...now I'm glad to know cuz I like the look of 2 shadows and it's easier than creating a layer and then making a new drop shadow. :)

jenn mccabe and cfile like this.
  18. cfile

Oh I am so excited I could add to tips :) and tell you about the stackable styles re the + sign Sara!! I love helping and showing people new things.. I always say... Share the wealth!! :)

19. jenn mccabe

Ah - OK I have seen that but did not make the connection probably because I have been ignoring it for now :giggle- When I tried it ... I think I must have been using ones that won't stack. I'm going to have to investigate this a little more. I am so bad at staying on top of the latest and greatest! Thank you yet again Christa! :beat

KellyM and cfile like this.
  20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Like @cfile said, it's also the basis for Mommyish shadow set:
    [​IMG]
    Because it's uses the stacking feature, most of the shadows have 3 pieces to them.

wvsandy, KellyM, Karen and 2 others like this.