natural or colored | pad patter 4.24.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Apr 24, 2017.

1. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I highlight and lowlight.

I will NOT go gentle into that good night. I will rage against the dying of the light! bwahahahahaha

My hair is naturally dark. The grays are quite generously sprinkled but they are wiry and the texture is awful to style. My hair dresser recommends I continue doing some kind of treatment to keep me from looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket with the grays poking out everywhere. LOL

jesskab and keepscrappin like this.
  2. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

Bumble and bumble makes a great one >> HAIR POWDER

gonewiththewind and keepscrappin like this.
  3. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

No natural for me :)

Apparently my hair color is 1x 5N, 1/2x 3VR, and 1/2x 3RB - all 3 times (never ask the hairdresser sitting next to you what color your hair is, I guess LOL)

:goldstars

4. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I used to color my hair at home. I used the clairol perfect ten, only ten minutes on and rinse and done. It came with a comb on the bottle to put it in and was so easy. I also loved the color stay conditioner that comes with it. It made my hair so soft. My grays colored more red than my regular brown so I had great highlights and low lights with that. My avatar to the left is from the perfect ten box color.
    http://www.ulta.com/perfect-10-nice-n-easy-hair-color?productId=prod420004#

Then, one time about a year or so ago, they were out of the perfect ten and I tried a different box one and I ended up with the ugliest, bright orange hair. It was unevenly colored and a mess. My husband's work Christmas party was in a couple of days, so I had to go to the salon to get it fixed. I haven't dared to do my own at home since. I'm sure I'll try it again, but for now I'll go to my friends salon and let her do it. She's very reasonably priced. Only $50 for a cut, color and style. I'm not good at getting it done every 6-8 weeks, so $50 every 3-4 months or in this case 7 months is not bad.

jesskab and Juliestcyr like this.
  5. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I have naturally dark blonde hair with a sort of strawberry tinge to it. I died it non-stop between the ages of 14 and 26. It was usually more auburn, but sometimes I went blonder too. I stopped because harsh chemicals and $$$. I'm 35, and have no grey. Based on genetics I won't have to worry about that for a while. BUT, I did win a free tube of Loreal Pink Colorista semi-permanent dye. I kinda want to just add the colour to my ends, but I'm chicken. If another lilypadder wanted to do something a little crazy with their hair, that they've been to shy to try, we could make a pact and go in on it together. And then of course, have a scrap-off.
    [​IMG]

jesskab likes this.
  6. Juliestcyr

Oh, Kayla! I've been there. When I was 21 I worked at a fancy hotel. They gave us spa gift certificates for Christmas to the fanciest spa in town. I used mine to get a cut and dye job (I usually dyed at home) the day before I left for a co-op work term. It came out ... carrot top. After the spa, my Dad picked me up and I went to go say goodbye to all my grandparents. My Grandma opened the door and laughed at me. "Are you supposed to be a clown?"

Because I was leaving town the next day, I couldn't even get that salon to redo my hair for me. AND, I had to wait over a month to get paid so I could afford to go get my hair redone.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

Oh boy! Sorry you had to have crazy hair for so long. I was so lucky I was able to find a salon that could fit me in. It was a Saturday even! I learned my lesson about coloring my hair right before an important event.... never again! I'll have to plan better so I can have it done at least a week in advance.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Natural dirty blonde. I now have white that blends in and looks like I frosted it ... it is evenly distributed with a cool stripe at the front.. I love it and am thrilled on top of everything else I don't worry about dying hair!

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I have been highlighting my hair for years....my hair is just too blah in its natural state.

keepscrappin likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Thank you!!!

AllisonPennington likes this.
  11. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Aah, this is what you were trying to lure me into the other day. I might be willing to go a little crazy next month. Just not until after my birthday trip, I don't want my hair all crazy in the vacation pics.

keepscrappin and Juliestcyr like this.
  12. Juliestcyr

What colour do you think you would do?

13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Speaking of coloring the ends- we did the koolaid thing for my daughter over spring break! It has been about 4 weeks & there is just a tinge left! It was super fun and not so permanent (and cost only 50cents! ;) )
    [​IMG]

14. jesskab

@Juliestcyr I'm leaning towards purple since the pink didn't look great last year.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  15. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I used to always color mine various shades of brown and then sometimes highlighted. I always did it on my own though - I'm way too cheap to go pay someone else to do it LOL. For the past 2 years though, I haven't dyed because the last time I did I ended up dyeing it pretty much my natural color (I didn't realize that till my roots grew out), so I just decided it was the perfect time to stop. When I go gray, I might end up dyeing for a little while if I'm young, otherwise I'll probably just let it go gray!

keepscrappin likes this.
  16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Well you can see by my avatars that I no longer color my hair. I did it myself for years and years - other than a period when I went to a Goldwater test salon that did it for free. When they started to really have to do testing as opposed to just cutting and coloring whatever I wanted, I got my formula. I used to mix it and I was a medium brownish auburn for a lot of years. I loved that color and used to check my roots from my 40s on to see how grey I was. It took a long long time for me to get to a good salt and pepper which I then got highlighted.

It was the years that we did a lot of international travel that pushed me to give up on any color as i always had to get it done like the day or two before we left so that I could go two weeks without 'roots'. Now it's a silvery white that I like a lot...tho there are days I miss the reddish brown and I think my dh does too.

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. jesskab

<<This is as close to my natural color as I can get with hair dye. I absolutely dye my hair because my white streak is evil & I've never looked good in the color white. I naturally have dark strawberry blonde hair, but it looks brown in a ton of pictures because of lighting.
    lastscan_copy.jpeg
    My little guy's color is very similar.
    [​IMG]

keepscrappin and Juliestcyr like this.
  18. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Grey hairs for me too. Not too much, but still enough to make me annoyed at them and feel insecure about them sometimes. I actually colored it today. I do it all myself, because I don't want to spend so much money on it. I always go with a colour close to my natural hair, so that it doesn't show too obviously after a few weeks. Also, I like my hair colour. I usually choose a "sunny mid brown" colour but it hasn't been in the stores for quite a while. So I've switched to a "caramel mid/dark brown" colour. I like the shine it gives when it catches the light. :)

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I definitely color my hair. I've had an annoying grey stripe right in the front since i was about 18. It's actually not grey... it's flat out WHITE. I do have some subtle greys everywhere else, but I don't really mind those. My hair is a dark blonde, so those just end up looking like highlights... but the stripe has to go. My stylist has been keeping most of my hair natural and just fixing the stripe and adding low light one month and highlights the next. It works for me right now.

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

This stuff. I dab it on my roots and it makes them disappear like magic.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013XGBD8A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like that it's a sort of powder but not a loose powder - more like applying a powder blush or something like that. It comes with a sponge-like applicator that you rub on the product and then rub or dab on your hair. For a while I used a magic marker kind of root color up but that was harder to use and tended to make my hair "crunchy". I've used sprays too but find them harder to control.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    gonewiththewind likes this.