natural or colored | pad patter 4.24.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by keepscrappin, Apr 24, 2017.

1. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I have dark brown hair naturally, but the last few years I've colored it more of a reddish brown to cover my gray. The gray's mostly in the front and the first couple of years, it looked like awesome red highlights. I went with red because all 3 of my kids are redheads and that helped stop the "where does the red come from" questions, since my husband and I didn't have red hair. I've gotten lazy and haven't been in for a color in a long time. I've been going to water aerobics and didn't want to pay for color and have it ruined. But that gray streak is really showing, so I finally caved and got an appointment for a cut and color this week. I'm excited to look younger, but hoping it'll last with all the swimming. I should probably get a good swim cap... hehe. I was going to grow old gracefully, but I'm too young for that darned gray streak, so I'm fighting it all the way. lol

How about you, do you color your hair? If you do, what color do you go with and what is your natural color?

cfile likes this.
  2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Completely natural here. I used to do highlights when my hair was super-duper short, and I had it layer-dyed for my wedding, but I let it grow out right away. I figured it would be a lot of $$ to keep it up, so I never bothered. Sometimes I want to try a strawberry blonde just for the fun of it, but never have. Oh well!

keepscrappin likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I do... in college it was blonde, though at the end I went red. It fits my freckles, and blue eyes. No grays yet, but I just like to color. I recently went to my natural root color (like a strawberry brownish blondish color - what color is that even?) and pink ombre to the ends. I like it but it faded super super fast, faster than the red I previously did. lol! It's like "fire" now on the bottom - pinkish, orangeish and blondish... :giggle I'll go get it done again soon... and I''m not sure what I'll do this time.... my stylist will figure it out.

keepscrappin likes this.
  4. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am going grey naturally - but have so few and such fine hair that I still look like a brunette.

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I was a blonde as a baby, light brunette with red highlights as an adult and I colored my hair various shades of blonde/brunette over the years but I stopped about 3 yrs ago and my hair is blonde/white with some darker streaks. Most of the women in my family went white quite early so it's no surprise for me but it was a bit shocking when I first grew my hair out and had stopped coloring. I might get a few warmer streaks put in this summer but that's about it. No more monthly dye for me.

keepscrappin likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Mine is natural. I've dyed it when I was in high school, out of the box cheap stuff. And once in our early marriage we paid to have my hair dyed to natural brown because the red from the boxes wouldn't wash out after a year! It looked streaky and gross. I haven't dyed my hair since then.

keepscrappin likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

we grey early in my family. i got my first at 23! it was sparse all throughout my 20s (i would pluck them one by one, lol). in my 30s i started to need to color the roots bc the grey wasn't enough to look good naturally. now in my 40's & i am so sick of the $$ and time i spend on this habit. i am always tempted to just go grey naturally now - but i still don't think it is enough grey just yet. i have a cut and color this week. i don't pay for highlights bc i pay enough every 6- 8 weeks in color as it is! when i was in my 30's and had short hair styles i did do some highlights. now i rely on the sun in the summer to give me natural highlights.

i wish i had the guts to just do the color myself - but i'm totally chicken!

keepscrappin likes this.
  8. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

I like having ombre color, because I can go a really long time between appointments. It's natural on top, slowly fading to more blonde on the ends. I don't have the patience to do anything that requires more upkeep than that!

keepscrappin likes this.
  9. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I'm a "get bored & change my hair color" type of gal! ;) Over the winter, I went dark brown & that was SUPER fun! But- there's something about summer & sunshine that made me add some blonde back in the last time I was in. Plus- the upkeep on all over color is too much for my budget & time! My natural is totally the 'dishwater blonde' as in it is so blah... darkish blonde, lightish brown BORING! ;) I've done highlights/lowlights &/or all over color almost my entire adult life. Right now the dark is almost grown out so I have some cool ombre thing going on with some highlights & lowlights over it. I prefer highlights because it's cheaper, grows out better with my natural & just brightens up my natural blah a bit. I'm also one of those lucky ones whose hair grows super fast & only have a random gray here & there (I still totally pluck those babies!)

jesskab and keepscrappin like this.
  10. Mrivas

Mrivas I know how to spit like a man

I haven't colored my hair in years, usually it was just to change the color. I only have about half a dozen gray hairs at 35 yrs old so that is not a problem yet. I find that coloring weakens my hair which is already a little bit fragile.

11. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

My hair changes color with the sun, so my longer sections are lighter in color anyways until the top gets the summer sun. Then we throw in the grey. I have never colored it. My only concern is that I have embraced the natural curly look but the grey hairs seem less curly. So some day I might have that straight hair after all.

keepscrappin likes this.
  12. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I have a 'mousy brown' natural color. When I was tiny it was platinum blonde naturally then darkened to this bleh. I've always got some box color on, Feria color always leaves my hair softer, stronger and more alive when I'm done, so I use that constantly.

Usually swing from blonde to red then black depending. Never a flat color, it's usually a highlight from the previous color. So going from blonde to red means I have blonde streaks. Hehe. I also use manic panic for my blues and purples because they're "stains" not dyes so they don't damage your hair in any way. :) It's fun. I wish my hair grew constantly, took three years to get back to shoulder length.. .eish. Never cutting it again!

keepscrappin likes this.
  13. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I'm a natural blonde, but it has gotten darker over the years. I started highlighting it to cover the gray. Each time I need more and more highlights to cover that gray. Maybe I should just let the gray take over and save myself lots of time and money.

cfile and keepscrappin like this.
  14. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I quit coloring years ago. I had a grey/white streak starting in college, but I was blond, so it wasn't that noticeable. I used to do highlights and lowlights for years and with my former stylist, I used to try different colors. But once I started actually going grayer, it because more work than fun. Like I *had* to do it vs. just doing it for fun. I also began to resent the expense at that point. So now I no longer color my hair and spend the money on something that makes me happy. :-)

15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

My hair is a a really dull brown naturally and I don't like it at all. Darker colors really wash me out. I have had it lots of different colors over the years, but I mostly keep it highlighted with blonde. The last year or so I have peek-a-boo purple added it to it and I love it!! It's fun!! I've even had the purple put on top a few times :). The underneath in the back is natural. I will be 52 this year have only found a few gray hairs here and there. I keep telling my stylist that as soon as she starts seeing those suckers in there more, I'm ready to start transitioning to gray. They will be my natural highlights and I won't have to worry about the dark anymore!!

keepscrappin and amien1 like this.
  16. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Mine is natural, never have I done my whole head. I have done Lowlights and Highlights.

keepscrappin likes this.
  17. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

I started dying it to cover gray. "My" guy does a sort of auburn color and then adds a glaze. It's not a lot but it's a lot prettier than my natural. I think with the gray coming in, my natural color has gotten a lot flatter/matte.

keepscrappin likes this.
  18. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I was greying pretty early and always had my hair highlighted to cover it up. At about 40ish, I switched to coloring everything with highlights/lowlights. Like some have mentioned, I really started to resent all the time and money spent sitting in the salon chair, so I switched to doing it myself. It's so much easier than I ever imagined and since I'm grey, my hair sort of highlights itself naturally. I color it about once every 6 weeks myself and use some amazing root powder coverup when grey starts to show in between.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    keepscrappin and bestcee like this.
  19. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

right now it's a bit obvious since my hair is half blue... LOL!!!!

20. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

What, pray tell, is this magic?