My backyard neighbor just threaten my dogs

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Dalis, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I am so stressed out today due to this and on top of it one of my dogs has diarrhea today so we have to go out extra times!

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Awwwwwww, I hate that you're so stressed out! Your poor dog probably is, too. They pick up on our stress. :bk:bk

3. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

It's things like this that make me wish we could hand pick our neighbors or at least have a substantial amount of space between houses...

Dalis likes this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh man, sorry Dalis! Maybe a trip or a walk out of your neighborhood. It's stressing you both out! Hugs!

Dalis likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Video tape actions, threats, words, dogs (all) behaviour.

Dalis and QuiltyMom like this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That's so scary Dalis! I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Stay safe and document everything!

7. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Can I be the bad guy here Dalis? I hate to be. I worked at a vet for years. Your dog bit theirs. That may come back to be a problem, may not though (hopefully) because it was "on your property"... they can say your fence wasn't in good repair allowing the dog to put his face in, they can push you and may win vet fees. I'd ask for proof of injury in the form of vet bills and photos. If they report to the city (depends on where you live, check your local laws)... then your biting dog may need quarantined. Be prepared to provide proof of rabies/vaccines.

I am NOT saying I think you are wrong or at fault, but it could easily go either way depending on what they do. They sound like angry, vindictive people. I would personally contact someone you trust with knowledge of city law and see if you need to proactively report that they allowed their dog loose and it came after your dog who bit in defense. I would also contact your HOA if you happen to have one and file a complaint that the dog is aggressive towards other dogs and was out on the loose and came after your fenced dogs, mild mannered dogs.

I hope this goes easy but if I can help you prepare in case it doesn't, then I hope that helps. I would also take your dogs to the vet and discuss this with him/her. Get treatment for the stress-a-rea and counter them with your bills if needed. Ask your vet to write a letter if needed and particularly about their temperament.

If you have the money, I would seek an attorney to send them a letter. They may back off with a bit of a scare like that.

londoncuppa and MrsEm like this.
  8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

No advice but wanted to send hugs to you. I hope things work out for you and your dogs. Are you able to re-enforce the fence so the dogs can't get at each other through it, in the future? This might also help appease the neighbors, knowing it won't happen again. I'm so sorry you have neighbors like that.

9. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

Oh Dalis - this is so awful. Having bad neighbors can affect your whole life, it just multiplies the stress if you are worry about meeting them any time you are in your backyard - no fun. I hope they move very soon...

10. Dalis

Well, it wouldn't happen if they were not so cheap and would put their own fence. They are using my fence as one of their side of their fence so that way they only had to pay 2 sides of their fence instead of 3. I can't attach anything to my fence from my side and I am not going into their property to do anything.

11. Dalis

I understand what they have against them is that they have no fence butting our fence. They are vindictive people. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. They already broke my fence once. We went on a hockey trip and came back to a broken fence. The husband which is not the brightest of the bunch said that they accidentally broke the fence and they would fix it. They ended up exchanging two of the slabs, that was his fix. He took one of the slabs that is at an awkward area were the dogs don't fit and swapped them. This is how CHEAP these people are.

12. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Ugh. I hate people that just can't be 'normal, nice neighbors' :( Sorry! We had a complaint against our dog- long story is she barked at them & 'charged' when actually his wife said "HI LUCY!" which would then make her come right!? Anyhow- she has a 'shock' collar for our wireless fence, but the battery is dead. She never goes beyond her boundary & this guy was walking along the sidewalk, but more in our driveway so it was within her fence. We got a notice from the county about 'an aggressive dog off leash'. Stupid. The funny thing is EVERY other neighbor had Lucy's back & was shocked this guy had a complaint against her. We just documented 'our side' of the story & make sure she always has her collar on (they don't know the battery is dead! ;) ) I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope that things get resolved like normal people- but by the looks of it- that's a long shot.

Dalis and jesskab like this.
  13. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Dalis :( We have a "scary" dog so I'm always on high alert for these issues. I think you should report their aggressive dog to the city or HOA so that there is a record of issues. Maybe some pumpkin puree for the stress-rea?

Dalis likes this.
  14. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I didn't finish reading all the responses so forgive me if this was already mentioned, but I'd like to recommend getting to the hardware store and finding those really cheap long flat slats of wood and "weaving" it like a basket through the chain link. This prevents EITHER of the dogs getting ANYTHING through and with the basket weaving like look, also can be 'pretty' yet still cheap.

I'd like to add to @jk703 's comments and video their dog as well, but ALSO video YOUR dogs walking with other dogs. It can be a memory for you, OR it can be used (with dates included because lawyers can have information like that pulled up) as a video with date stamps to show YOUR dogs have no problem. This is another CYA action and I highly recommend it.

I second the video'ing through your door and any other time you can the threats. You can just hit record and leave it in your pocket if you're outside, or straight up let them know you're video'ing them.

I'm SO sorry you're going through this. You have my SUPER hugs!! Love ya, Dalis!

Dalis and jk703 like this.
  15. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

So sorry to hear about this, I would be stressed to. Hope it will be Better soon! Thinking of you

Dalis likes this.
  16. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

Oh no! I, like many others, just want to send thoughts and hugs... such a tough situation! Our animals are family, for sure... Hope it all works out! xx

Dalis likes this.
  17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm so sorry! It's rough when you don't get along with neighbors. And worse when our pets get involved!

Out of curiosity, is where the dog got his nose through the same place where they broke your fence?

Is it a wood fence? You mentioned slabs, so I wondered. I would report their dog anyway if it were me. For no other reason than it's documented. I'd also make sure to take a photo of your fence, if you haven't already, so you can prove that the fence wasn't in disrepair.

Dalis likes this.
  18. Psychozoe

Psychozoe Well-Known Member

Dalis... this boils my blood. i am so mama bear when it comes to my animals... i hope things will work themselves out in your favor.

19. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

@Dalis - I was thinking about you t
    Me too, Zoe - about my kids and my dogs! Don't mess with them or you'll have me to mess with!

Dalis and Psychozoe like this.
  20. Dalis

Now, that you mention it. It is where he swapped the wood slabs. Good thinking.