My backyard neighbor just threaten my dogs

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Dalis, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

My neighbor got a dog and he is horrible. He is finally better but it’s with a leash and shock collar. So the girls (our two greyhounds) have become aggressive towards him ONLY when he comes charging defending their territory. Yesterday we were literally sitting on the grass brushing one when the dog came out of the house barking apparently the kid forgot the shock remote. One of our girls bit him in the nose through our fence yard. We have a fence, they didn’t put one against our fence because ours was already there.
    Yesterday, the husband came and I know he came at 8:30am looking for us to pay the bill. I played dumb. He said he was 5 hrs at the ER VET. Which I immediately thought well that was because it was NOT an emergency.
    This morning the wife is in my face in her backyard looking for a fight. She wants money or for me to put the girls in shock collars. I told her the problem started with her dogs. That I Walk my dogs with multiple different dogs in the neighborhood and have no issues and THAT MY DOGS WILL NEVER WEAR SHOCK COLLARS. I turned around to get back in my house and she said “Dont you dare turn around, I’m not done talking to you!” And that she is calling the city to get both dogs put down. He used to work in the city we live in.
    I’m beyond upset. We have no problems with anyone elses dogs. We actually walk with multiple dogs from the neighborhood.

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Oh Dalis, I am so sorry my dear. I hope things get worked out. Her dogs nose was through your fence otherwise your pup would't have been able to nip it. I don't know what to say but definitely document EVERYTHING.. her threats and all.. These days people are wacky so it is a difficult position for sure. I do not trust anyone. Years ago you could yell back and not worry about people going bananas on you or shooting people. Her yelling at you.. oh my. Keeping prayers for you that all will iron out without issues.

Dalis and bbymks5 like this.
  3. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Ugh...that's so frustrating. I mean, obviously if their dog has to wear a shock collar, there is an issue with that dog and that dog can't be trusted. I hope it all works out ok for you guys. What kind of dog do they have?

Dalis, cfile and bbymks5 like this.
  4. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

What a piece of...some people should not be allowed to own pets, and they are one of them! Like Christa said, it was their dog who put it's through the fence (because they cannot control the thing) and that's why it was bit! And yep, document, document, document! Anyone with half a brain is going to realize your dogs aren't the problem! Your dogs can be outside WITHOUT shock collars, and be walked without the use of them. Did another neighbor hear this going on that you can get a statement from?

How much damage could have been done through fence anyway? I'm guessing they gave the dog a round of antibiotics and sent him home?

Whatever you do, don't answer the door alone if either of them come knocking again...I wouldn't trust them to not get physical after her comment of "Don't you dare turn around" that immediately sent off my fight/flight instincts.

bestcee, MrsEm, AJK and 2 others like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I agree too Timmi not opening the door.. I think the neighbor woman needs a shock collar! LOL

AJK, Dalis and bbymks5 like this.
  6. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@Dalis Wow, Dalis. I’m so sorry you have to deal with unreasonable neighbors. Their dog trespassed onto your property (yep, with his nose). You don’t owe them anything.

I ageee 100% with everything Christa said. Document EVERYTHING, and take pics if you can. Don’t engage either one of them in conversation or be alone with them.

Praying that it all gets resolved for you soon. {hugs}

bestcee, Dalis and cfile like this.
  7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm so sorry, Dalis! This is a horrible situation. If the dog was on your property (or rather, its nose was), then I don't know if they have a case--even if the owner used to work for the city. They'll have to say where the dog was when it happened.

Please, the next time one of them comes to your door...don't open the door. Don't even unlock it. Don't say anything except that you won't discuss this with them in person and because she's threatened legal action, she/he/they must leave your property right now. (And, let me say it again: say it through a LOCKED DOOR.) This is for your safety as well as your legal standing. (If they want to pursue this, then everything has to be documented in writing anyway.) And have your cell phone's camera on and record everything. In fact, bring your cell phone with you anytime someone knocks on your door. Heck, have it with you in your backyard right now! (We got a few security cameras and one of those doorbell cameras after a crazy incident a few weeks back. Especially glad I have the doorbell camera now.) And if the dog gets in your yard, take photos to show how aggressive and/or misbehaved it may act (and I say "in your yard" because I don't want to encourage you to look like you're spying on your neighbors'! ETA: my point is that cities/states/etc each have its own requirements for proving whether a dog is at fault and part of that may be based on the dog's past actions. Just remember that, regardless of the dog situation, you do NOT have to tolerate threatening language or aggressive behavior from these people. Period.

And it all stinks because this is your neighbor. Let's hope this gets resolved peacefully.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    bestcee, jesskab, Dalis and 1 other person like this.
  8. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

No doubt!!! They say animals act like their owners....pretty sure they have just proven that theory!

Dalis and cfile like this.
  9. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm so sorry! Parenting dogs is hard work, and it sounds like the neighbors dog has issues (the owners too!) I agree to document, and I would make sure to take pictures/videos with how their dog treats other people, animals and such - not just your own dogs and family. I would also ask around to see if anyone else had issues with this dog. If he is aggressive toward your dogs, he might've been aggressive toward other dogs in the neighborhood. I would not answer the door, like Sara said.

The dog is without a leash in his own backyard and is his yard all fenced in, even though it is partially your fence - like he can't get out? If so, he is contained. The fence is a hard one... can both dogs - yours and theirs stick their snouts through? (how can this be stopped?) Could this have happen to your dogs as well? I don't know how I would handle, but I would tread lightly and try not to push her buttons. I wouldn't want it to come down to whose dog bit who. The good thing is there is no proof that your dog did anything, so I doubt it would go further than a reporting.

I don't think that anyone should make or force you to make your dogs wear certain collars. It's like parenting kids. You do not parent other people's children or tell people how to raise their kids.

We do use a training collar, it is technically a shock collar, but we use the light, sound and vibrations to train Benson. This is for jumping, talking back (he talks back like he's a teenager!), stealing things to chew on, etc. We do not use the shock option. He is a big dog, and needs to learn his limits with us, and especially my boys. We are lucky he is very timid with other dogs - he lays on his back when dogs rush at him at the dog park or when walking. He is always in a harness and leash.

Dalis and cfile like this.
  10. Dalis

It's a mutt, tons of mix of races. He is great with people not with dogs.

11. Dalis

Mine, too, she came out with what I call "super man pose" which is a looking for trouble pose!

12. Dalis

Too funny, that's what my sister told me. She said, she charged against me the same way that her dog does to my dogs and that she is in need of a collar too.

cfile and Tree City like this.
  13. Dalis

Sara, I have never liked them, they seem off. They are the only ones that haven't moved out of here. I am hoping that they move soon since their kid is a senior this upcoming new year. I can't wait for them to move the hell out. They once let their kid out for 15 mins on a 10F winter morning because she missed the bus. The kid was in elementary school and they were trying to teach her a lesson. WHO DOES THAT?

14. Dalis

I think my favorite thing is the way she treated me at all times like I am a kid that is misbehaving and needs to be in a timeout!

cfile and Tree City like this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm so sorry, Dalis! That's horrible and they sound like they might actually try to harm you! I agree with everything that's already been said. DOCUMENT and take pictures if you can! Too bad you didn't have your phone outside with you when it happened. I swear, there's somebody like that in every neighborhood!!

Dalis likes this.
  16. Dalis

I have survived living with our backyards facing each other for 18 years and managed to talk to them no more than 10 times all of them dog related. I can do this one more year with the hopes of them moving out. I hope my prayers are answered. I seriously dislike them but treat them respectfully just so they don't have anything bad to say. They are seriously bat-cases!

AJK, Cherylndesigns and Tree City like this.
  17. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've always said "the neighbors you love move away and the neighbors you don't like stay forever". UGH

Dalis likes this.
  18. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

What a nightmare. I hate confrontation and a situation like this is the worst. I am so sorry you have to go through that. Next time she comes to your door can't you accuse HER of trespassing? No idea how this works, but I see that on US TV-series all the time (not helpful, I know).

That dog seems to be a real hazard when with other dogs. Maybe you can complain about them first?! If they can go to the city, so can you, right? This all sounds dreadfully like tit for tat, but sometimes you can only fight people with their own base strategies.

Dalis likes this.
  19. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

totally agree with that, I live next to 3 social housing units and while 2/3 are great, the third unit has been problem after problem over 18 of 22 years...........police call outs, loud music, domestic violence, theft of property and services, drunk behaviour

Dalis and Cherylndesigns like this.
  20. Dalis

I . hope it's not forever.

bestcee likes this.