Mornings | Pad Patter 11.8.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 8, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Mornings. I am not a morning person. I've been waking up early lately, ok, early for me (7am). But instead of getting up and being productive, I cuddle in bed and usually check out the Pad. My kid? He wakes up and starts going - puts the dog out, thinks of things to do, builds Lego creations.
    Which got me thinking....
    What about you? When you wake up do you hop out of bed and jump straight into things? Or do you say 'not yet' and ignore the world a little longer?

2. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I've never been able to sleep in...I'm up before the sun, but I'm definitely not ready to face the world LOL! I need to be left alone for about an hour so I can get ready to get ready LOL!!

My oldest could sleep all day if you let her, my middle is up and ready to face the day as soon as her eyes open and the youngest is somewhere in between the two.

bestcee likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Being a night owl, I prefer not to be up early in the morning. I have found since retiring that my body will no longer let me sleep as late as I used to. I have been waking up anywhere between 6 and 8 on my own. Although some mornings the puppy tells me it is time to get up!

Even this morning I was awake at 7:15 and I didn't go to bed until 12:30. So I got up, let the puppy out and got dressed for the day in my comfy sweats. No going out for me today.

bestcee likes this.
  4. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I have got to have some lazy time before I jump into things... so I would rather set an alarm early so I can be lazy for a little bit vs. sleep until the last possible moment and jump straight into things. This is the opposite of my husband, which actually works well for us since I make him get up first :-)

bestcee likes this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I :beat morning.

Rarely do I linger in bed. Today I tried because I have late night plans tonight during which I'm hoping I won't get sleepy, but after a while I was antsy to get up. It's not that I don't like to snuggle or spend all day in my pajamas or binge watch shows and that kind of thing. I'm just at my most energetic in the morning and eager to get things done. If I hadn't had plans for today I could have enjoyed staying in bed all day reading or watching movies.

My husband and second daughter, Caroline, are the true night owls in our family. He's a responsible adult so he isn't hard for me to wake up, but he definitely is slower to wake up than I am. And trying to wake Caroline is sometimes like trying to wake up a rock! Our family has had many laughs about it. She can be as far as sitting up and mumbling words, but then fall back asleep and have no recollection of our interaction later.

My oldest daughter and my son are morning birds like me. Usually easy to wake. However, as she is a teenager and he has been acting like a night owl since the summer (we homeschool and he's not doing any outside activities so he has a very flexible schedule) they aren't always ready to jump out of bed.

I'm sure I take after my mom. She has always been early to rise too, and in the last couple of years she complains that she wishes she'd sleep a little longer because she often wakes as early as 5 or even 4! I wonder if I'm destined to follow her. I have had no sleep issues yet. But I'm in a very busy time in my life, with my three kids, which means I fall into bed exhausted, fall asleep quickly, sleep deeply and as long as I can. Without an alarm, that's usually right around 8 hours. My mom sounds annoyed about needing less sleep. It could be a good thing though, right?

bestcee likes this.
  6. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I rarely have the chance to sleep in, especially with a figure-skating DD who needs to be at the rink by 5:15 am. I'm a horrible sleeper, so as soon as the sun peeks out over the horizon in the morning I wake up, so I've taken to wearing a face mask. The problem is that with getting up 3-4x a week before 5:00 am it means that I automatically wake up around that time the other days. It drives me nuts! If I had the chance I can only lounge around in bed for about an hour before my back starts to ache and I need to get up and move around.

My dad would lay down to take a five-minute nap. He'd immediately fall asleep and wake up 5 minutes later, refreshed. :cornfused It takes me an hour to go to sleep, and I'm up all night if I nap. My DH's favorite past-time is sleeping and napping...

bestcee likes this.
  7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Not a morning person here at all.... I could sleep in lots, but rarely do past 8/8:30 or so. I start to feel guilty, especially if my kids are home. I get up, make sure they've eater or prod them, get something going chore wise (like laundry or dishwasher loading), and plan something for us to get out of the house to do if we don't have other plans set.

Oldest is a wake up and go, go, go... Youngest is my sleeper.

bestcee likes this.
  8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've become more of an early riser, generally up around 6ish (also have been going to bed earlier too) during the wk and around 7ish on wkend, so I'm not a night owl anymore. I like getting up earlier and getting more accomplished in the early part of the day but I do need a half hour or more to sit quietly with my coffee and book before I'm ready to get on with things.

bestcee likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I am a total morning person! It's my favorite time of the day! Granted, not so much the 5:00 I get up all week long, but I could totally do 6 or so every morning. I love the quite time with just me and my coffee and whatever I want to do with no noise from anyone else. It's really the only time I ever have quiet in my life. I also can't lay in bed, I pop right up! I used to be the complete opposite in my younger days, but I am much more productive early in the morning!

bestcee likes this.
  10. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

I'm definitely a night owl more than an early bird... but to save my sanity, I am trying this new thing where I go to bed around 9:30-10pm (yuck!) and wake up around 6am because that's when the kids are waking up. It was the plan that I wake up earlier to have some quiet time... but that's not working out.. at least I am getting some good sleep I guess.

11. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I have never been a morning person, but coped quiet well when Sarita was in primary school... I used to work weird times, but so many of my jobs had evenings that turn into mornings (like working for Customs & Excise or Immigration, the interviews went all night at times, and then you have to go to court in some cases...) and a good part of my life performing was night, so no, not a morning person...and Sarita was exactly like that when she was little (like your son!) full of energy, tap dancing at 7am on Sundays LOL) but that will change with Mathew too, I think the teenager thing comes with "let me sleep" attached LOL

bestcee likes this.
  12. mom2jackaia

mom2jackaia I wish more people were fluent in silence

I am most definitely not a morning person. Nothing productive gets done until after coffee!

bestcee likes this.
  13. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i'm permanently tired but i think this is Fry talking about me
    [​IMG]

bestcee and Karen like this.
  14. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I get up much earlier than I need to. Sometimes by choice...sometimes not. I do enjoy time to myself in the morning though. I like to have coffee, watch the news, check my email and favorite sites. I need that time to myself.

My daughter...she's your typical teenager. She growls at me in the morning. Whatever you do DO NOT talk to her for an hour or two. :giggle

My son talks from the moment he wakes up until the moment he goes to bed. And, if he's not talking he's humming or singing or making random noises. That kid does not shut up. He wakes up ready to go. Which is why I need some alone time to prepare myself.

bestcee likes this.
  15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My kids wake up between 6:30-7 every day, rain or shine, school or not. They talk in complete sentences as soon as they get out of bed.

My husband is also a morning person. He rarely sleeps in on Saturdays and Sundays past 8:30 or so. He has to have time to 'be,' though. He gets up for work at 6:30 during the week and the only thing he does for the next hour is get dressed, make oatmeal, and eat it while he's watching TV. He showers at night so he has more time in the morning to 'be.' He doesn't do chores, help with the kids in any way, turn off the nightlights, etc... It's mind-boggling how much time he takes to do nothing!

In contrast, I get up at 7:30 am and have 45 minutes to walk around and turn off the outside lights & nightlights + everyone's fans, feed both of my kids, make my daughter's lunch, check the weather and pick out appropriate clothes for both (my daughter prefers that I pick out her clothes so they 'match'), listen to & answer their incessant questions, get the kids to brush teeth & hair, make sure the kids get dressed, get myself dressed, & make sure everyone has coats/jackets/shoes/outside accessories + my daughter has her homework, backpack, & lunch.

I am such a night owl. I'd rather sleep until the last minute then get up early to just fart around.

bestcee likes this.