Mommyish's Pocket Template Maker

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by tkradtke, Oct 15, 2016.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Since I'm still behind on my 2016 PL book, it's the perfect time to start thinking about 2017, right? :giggle

Who here uses Mommyish's Pocket Template Maker? I am using it this year and I have to tell you that I'm totally addicted to it. I'm not sure I could go back to using anything else. That being said, I need to give it a new look for next year.

This year I found it a little late after trying another template set that just didn't work for me. Because of that, I went super simple just to catch up and get the momentum going. I do nothing special to them except add a shadow, and have just a plain white background on every weekly spread. If you use them, I would love to see examples of how you make them "yours".

Thanks!

2. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I fell in love with the Template Maker after I bought it (and on sale too!!!) and then figured out how to work it on my Mac. I made it mine by reducing a white layer and all the elements to 90% and then making the background layer 103%. That gave me the size space I wanted for a patterned background paper. I have never been one to use much patterned paper but there are so many here at TLP that I had to find a way to use them. I like doing it this way because that white layer between the background and the pockets still sets the pocket photos and cards off.

I have saved all the templates I made though I didn't have a good way of naming them and may, may, at some time just go back and name them 1, 2, 3 etc.

btw, if I hadn't made a lot of 6x8 templates myself last year (before I came here) I would use that Template Maker to make ones for December Daily too.

tkradtke likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I have used Mommyish's template maker on and off for about a year and a half now and I totally love it!! It's been a bit since I used it, but if I can find a layout I've done with it, I'll post it.

tkradtke likes this.
  4. cookingmylife

@tkradtke All of mine are in the Pocket Scrapping gallery but here are two. I'll often make the Week card myself with some pretty font and I always put a total lift on the white paper. One with subtle background and one more colorful. More often, I also write on the photos more than make/use specific journaling cards. I find the 3x2 spots the hardest to fill so I picked two pages that have this size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tkradtke

@cookingmylife Thanks for posting examples! I love your pages, Maureen and I have "borrowed" your style on a few of my event pages that I'm adding to my PL book. :-)

My current dilemma is whether to go your route with more color and pattern or go simpler and try to replicate a "real" look. I think your look will come more natural to me. The simpler look will probably take a lot more effort on my part, since it's a little out of my comfort zone. I just do love that look. I've been drooling over some real pages on a blog I like and I would love that look (without the mess and bulk of actual physical products of course).

6. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

is this what you are refering to

[​IMG]

tkradtke likes this.
  7. tkradtke

Yep! That's what I was talking about it. Absolutely love it, just looking for customization ideas.

Cath_ likes this.
  8. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

Thank u, on my wish list now

tkradtke likes this.
  9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I didn't know that existed 'til now but I love it!

tkradtke likes this.
  10. cookingmylife

@NancyBeck was my original inspiration but I didn't have enough white cards to really get her look. In a year, I built up a stash...imagine that! @dawnmarch I had no idea about it either and love the auto 'space between the blocks' that I tried to do on my own in the past and it Was Not A Good Experience!

11. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

@cookingmylife, gives me much to much credit. Her PL pages have always been amazing and are awesome inspiration for those with older children or empty nesters, not to mention, she is a genius with the patterned papers! I got a lot of the white by using Liz and Krista's photo template journal cards.

12. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I use it for all my Pocket Style pages. I love how user friendly it is. I like that I can make several different layouts on my own and not have to go searching through folders upon folders of pre-made ones to find one that might work for my photos.

13. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

Me Me Me!! I have used it through most of 2016, and LOVE the flexibility it gives...

here are a few examples of pages where I utilized the different sizes and shapes than you would normally see in a pocket template.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My gallery is basically full of pages w/ her template maker...

Also, for me I've found that I like the look of it a little more (and it emulates the 'real' pages a little more) if I shrink them twice instead of just once. Also, once I've got the whole page laid out, I select all and reduce the size to 97 or 98% to put a bit of a wider border around the edge of the page (to allow for printing bleed)

KellyM likes this.
  14. cookingmylife

@RebeccaH I don't shrink them twice but I do shrink the entire 'inner template' - everything but the background to 90% and then make the background 103%. That gives me the look I want using a patterned paper as background and a white border inside. I have never used much patterned paper in my other scrapping but I do like to find seasonal papers to use now. It's amazing how many looks you can make, isn't it!

RebeccaH likes this.
  15. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

Yes, it really is! I think that's one of the things that makes this product one of the unsung heroes of my scrap stash!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  16. destiney1

destiney1 Well-Known Member

i just got it and i love it. I like big photos! and i hated how the pockets from premade never seemed to be the right orentation for the photos i have so not i can set boxes for the right way up for my phots then layer in spots around them!
    [​IMG]

RebeccaH, mixedclawzz and bestcee like this.
  17. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I have been using the first version for my PL2016 and switched to the new and improved one when it came out. I love it. It gives me a lot of freedom, to choose what size photo slots and want and where exactly. It doesn't make my pages too exciting and creative, let's just be honest about that, but it works really well for me for PL and I plan on using it for PL2017 as well.

18. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Two years ago I made up around 50 pocket templates myself to use on Project Life and this has worked well for these years. I am changing this year so bought the template maker when it was on sale. It is great!! Just started playing yesterday and still trying to figure out a style for this year.

bestcee likes this.
  19. cookingmylife

Carolyn, I am impressed but then you always did impress me with your scrapping.

20. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

@cookingmylife, would you mind elaborating on how to make the template maker work for a Mac? I just stumbled onto threads about the template maker last night and am thinking about purchasing it. Learning how to use actions will be a new skill for me (worth learning, but still a learning curve), so I'm wondering how many tweaks you had to do to make the template maker work. I'm also on a mac.