@mommyish Difference between warm and cool shadows?

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by cookingmylife, Oct 9, 2017.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I believe it was @michelepixels who had this question but I'm forgetting what forum we were in. When I looked at my examples of your Mommyish - Realistic Shadow Styles (actually named Ultimate Shadows on the .asl file), there does not seem to be a color difference but I did get a position difference. (using PSE15 on a Mac)

Can you explain what you mean by warm and cool in your shadow styles please? TIA!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Just popping in to help... I don't think tagging in the thread title actually tags someone.
    @mommyish

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

In my case, I think the reason I don't see the warm and cool options in the current Mommyish Realistic Shadows is because I'm using this old version. I finally found them in my Finder. I wonder if there's much difference. I'm using PSCC if that matters.
    folder.jpg

4. cookingmylife

Gotcha Jenn. I just didn't want this answer to be only in a private conversation. I think Mommyish has and has had a bunch of different shadowing styles and actions and I'm really not sure what the differences are.

5. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

Bart is curious about this, too!

[​IMG]

6. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

7. cookingmylife

8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I checked it out for you, because I was curious.
    If you look at the color used in the warm vs. cool it's a different color. The warmer color is more brown, and the cool is more grey.

bellbird likes this.
  9. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@cookingmylife @bestcee Maureen- Courtney is right about the shadows in the styles. Also in the color wheel you have warm colors and cool colors. Your Yellows, Oranges, and Reds are your warm colors and your Blues, Greens and Purples are your cool colors. I would imagine that would be the way you would use the warm (brownish) and cool (grayish) styles.

[​IMG]

I googled this too and it has to do with reflection of light and how it is reflected determines warm or cool. Here is the googled article I found:
    http://jenbetton.blogspot.com/2013/10/color-part-4-shadows.html This article also has photos for illustration.

This is the quote from that article by Jen Betton:
    "
    Warm and Cool Shadows
    Light objects in shadow are very sensitive to temperature changes and reflected light. Reflected light retains the color cast of the object it is reflected from (ie, red sweater on skin, buttercup, etc). When we are outside, the main light source is a warm light (the sun), and the fill is a cool light (the sky). This affects the tint of objects, and has an especially strong effect on light colored objects.
    The rule of thumb for knowing when a shadow will be warm or cool is sometimes called the "Upward Facing Plane Rule:" in shadow, upward facing planes will tend to be cool, reflecting light from the sky. Downward facing planes will tend to be warm, reflecting other objects."
    -----------------------------

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  10. cookingmylife

Thanks Courtney and Christa. I am certainly not a shadow maven so I doubt I will be interested in this distinction. But it's good to know why!

bestcee and cfile like this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am glad I could help Maureen!