Mississippi Roast

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by bbymks5, May 25, 2017.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Is one of my hubby's favorites, but we didn't have a roast and I couldn't find any on sale so I used the same recipe but swapped out the beef for chicken breast; it was pretty good, but it WAY too salty!!

Any idea as to why the chicken came out so salty? I used unsalted butter, so I'm not sure if it's the Au Jus packet or??

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My ideas would be:
    -less meat in the chicken vs the roast
    -the chicken is more absorbent?

And now, I'd like to know what Mississippi roast is: will you share the recipe?

bbymks5 likes this.
  3. bbymks5

I didn't think of that, but that makes sense! Mississippi Roast is SOOOO good, has just a few ingredients and you just throw it all into the crockpot and let it go!

You will need:

1 chuck roast
    1 stick of butter
    1 packet of powder Ranch dressing
    1 packet of powder Au Jus sauce
    Pepperoncini's to your liking
    Crockpot bag (because who wants to scrub out that mess??)

You can sear your roast before place into the crock...but, again...less mess is best LOL

Put the roast in the crock
    Cut your butter into pats and place all over the roast
    Add your Ranch packet all over the roast
    Add your Au Jus packet all over the roast
    Add your peppers; I go wild and add almost a whole jar LOL

Do NOT add any type of liquid...trust me

Cook on low for 8-10 hours and get high on the aroma as it's cooking.

The roast will be so tender and just fall apart...server with whatever sides you like and *BAM* dinner is served :)

MandaKay and bestcee like this.
  4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I do this all the time with roast...with chicken I don't use the au jus package. I put two chicken bouillons(cause au jus is beef flavored) in instead.

bbymks5 likes this.
  5. bbymks5

Thank you for the suggestion!! I'm going to try this tomorrow!

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Sounds yummy and easy (which is right up my alley). :)

busywoman139 and bbymks5 like this.
  7. bbymks5

It's so good!!! I don't enjoy cooking, so if something requires more than a handful of ingredients, takes a lot of prep time, and/or requires a ton of pots/pans I don't mess with it.

I would have made a horrible housewife back in the day...horrible!

Karen and busywoman139 like this.
  8. bbymks5

That was much better!! I think I need to add two cubes next time.

9. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Salty or not salty, that sounds really good!

I wonder how well it would work in my instant pot.... I've developed a sort of addiction to instant pot cooking of late.

bbymks5 likes this.
  10. bestcee

You'd probably have to add liquid; I know my Pressure cooker requires a minimum of 1 cup. Not sure on the Instant Pot?

I was thinking of melting the butter, and adding the ranch. Then mixing the au jus with a cup of water or maybe 1/2 cup of water, and adding 1/2 cup of beef broth for more flavor? Brown the roast, cover with the seasonings and pepperocini's and cook on high for about 90 minutes or so.

What do you think?

11. Aerobigirl

Well, I'm sort of a beginner with the Instant Pot, so I'm not really sure about adding more liquid.

Have you ever seen the "Better than Broth" tubs of chicken and beef broth flavoring? It's kind of a hybrid between a bullion cube and stock, I think. With something like that, you could add more flavor a 1/2 teaspoon at a time to really dial it in to what you like.

I think I'm going to try this for Wednesday dinner - it's a non-sports, non-work night so I could actually cook something that takes time, LOL.

bestcee likes this.
  12. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

This will definitely work in the Instant Pot - I haven't personally tried it but I've seen several people post about it in the Instant Pot facebook group, it looks amazing! I'm sure a simple google search will give you the instant pot version!

13. bbymks5

I wish I knew more about the Instant Pots; I've heard really good things about them! If you try it let us know how it goes :)

I was really worried about not adding any liquid to mine the first time I made it, and it came out perfectly when I didn't. The meat produces enough juice along with the melted butter.

14. bestcee

Yep! That's what I use for beef broth. I just know my pressure cooker requires a minimum of 1 cup of liquid in order to come to pressure. I'm betting that Instant Pot's require a minimum too. I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you!

15. Aerobigirl

16. Aerobigirl

Woo hoo!

I tried the Mississippi pot roast in my instant pot and it was LUSCIOUS! Really, really good.

Really.

Because we are a garlic family, I added a little bit of granulated garlic (not salted, just dried granulated garlic) and I seared the roast in a rosemary-infused olive oil. Only about 1/2 cup of water in the whole recipe, but the juices from the roast were enough to make about a cup and a half of gravy. I didn't put any milk in. I just used the juices and a roux out of butter and flour right in the instant pot and whisked it up. The roast had been lean enough that there wasn't a lot of fat to skim before making the gravy.

Thanks for the recipe idea!

bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  17. bbymks5