Looking back | Pad Patter 2.18

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Feb 18, 2018.

1. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Urban Outfitters had quite a nice selection, if that tells you anything.

londoncuppa and bbymks5 like this.
  2. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Enough said :giggle

3. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I actually bought some banana clips a few years ago because I loved them so much in the 80's, and the stupid things didn't work. I guess my hair is too thick because every one I tried either broke, or I had too much hair stuffed into it to be able to get it to close. Really killed my 80's buzz. ;)

4. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I have some too. A few months ago, I was wearing a jacket (which I collect like shoes...LOVE THEM), and Harrison actually poked the top of my shoulder. I had to tell him it was a shoulder pad. Poor boy had never seen one before.

As far as hairspray goes, remember AquaNet for 99 cents a can? Talk about helmet head. I bought some last week because I heard it made an excellent sealant for mixed media, and I was going to try it. Not sure how archival it is (???). It's definitely not 99 cents anymore, but I love that they haven't changed that pink + black&white can. It's going to have to stay away from my head, though. Age has made me much more judicious about what goes on my hair...no more pure alcohol spray...LOL.

cfile likes this.
  5. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I've never understood acid-washed jeans. Darker-colored jeans look so much better on everyone.

cfile likes this.
  6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I dislike the latest trend of really skinny cropped jeans on men that show off their weird socks.
    Saw a wedding photo recently of a friend's daughter.
    I reckon give it 20 years and their kids are going to have a field day laughing at those photos.

Karen and IntenseMagic like this.
  7. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

you are making me giggle here with the aqua net.. take a photo of the can and do a helmet head page! LOL way too funny! I loved the shoulder pads.. I had removable ones too that you attached to your bra starp.. they were fine unless they dislodged and fell down .. then they resembled extra padding in the shirt area! LOL

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

or buying jeans with holes already in them... I liked to have my jeans fade with wear and put my own holes in them. They are even more expensive with the tatters! Go figure!

Chippi likes this.
  9. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Haha! I have been watching Full House, well Melody loves it, so it is on ALL the time, and some of the fashion crazes just in that one show are astounding!!! The big hair, the small hair, the denim everything, the shoulderpads. I don't know that I was ever fashionable enough growing up to have anything I wore come back.. but I do remember Racoon Eyes and black hair... I think a LOT of girls go through this phase, the thick black eye makeup. I look back and just gah!
    Current trend that I'm not so keen on is the grey hair trend. Not ladies who have earned their grey hair, but those young girls who use the "grey bleach" and walk around with grey hair and orange tanned faces. Just not a fan.
    I also can't stand the gauges in peoples ears or lips, bleeegggghhh.
    Clothing trend.. shorts that are so short that the pockets are longer than the pants... seriously ladies?!

Haha!! This is fun reading through everyone else's answers too!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I had saved some clothing from the 80s and 90s, and I recently donated it all to our high school's drama department, along with some old bridesmaid dresses. I figured they'd get better use out of them than they would just sitting in my closet!

We saw man buns being worn all over Scandinavia the other year. For some reason they looked better on the Swedes and Norwegians than their American counterparts!

Shoulder pads are starting to make a comeback, especially if you like vintage/retro clothing of the 40s.

Sting. He was the only man who looked good in a mullet.

IntenseMagic and londoncuppa like this.
  11. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

We joke that when these men go to their 20 high school reunion, they can say they wear the same pant size...just now the 42 waist is really their waist! bhahah

I love those pants, stay so nice in boots!

not a fan, especially on balding men, and the messy bun on a man...shudder

no fan of those here, my shoulders are like linebackers all by themselves. but when I would pull them out, I always felt like I had to save them for something?

this makes me giggle so hard

oh how I love Docs! I don't wear them anymore, my hubby hated them...but I wore them with shorts, dresses, pants..anywhere

this drives me nuts!

I think the cell phone is gonna be mocked, not sure how they are gonna do it better, but something tells me the holding the cell phone in your hand constantly will be pointed at in photos...and laughed at...

IntenseMagic and londoncuppa like this.
  12. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Man Buns, and in a similar note, pants sagging way past the bum.

13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

There was an advantage to growing up in the 60's/70's/80's... not a whole lot of these "things" from our past were caught in photos!

14. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I have beautiful memories of Fanny packs, because my husband was wearing one (with the pack at the tummy, not the fanny though)n when he proposed to me because he had the ring in the pack. Can't hate them now. :)

IntenseMagic and Karen like this.
  15. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh my! This was a super fun thread to read though and I was nodding right along!

I remember in my college days wearing the body suits that were like a skin tight long sleeved shirt, but they were like a leotard and snapped at the crotch... we'd wear those out to parties and usually with bright red lipstick. I see pictures and just ... no! Lol! Good thing we were all young and thin then!

I think the one I agree with most is the ear gauges. I just don't get it and I have already heard so many stories of kids who stretched their ears out super big and then regret it and have to have reconstructive surgery to fix them. It's one thing to wear trendy clothes and laugh at the pictures later, but you can just buy new clothes...

16. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

And the duck face selfies!!! :giggle

17. IntenseMagic

Ohhh I loved bodysuits back in the day! I had lots of them!

Karen likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

That's so sweet! I totally understand why you can't hate them :)

19. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I wear my socks over the bottom of my pants. Have you tried that? Helps to have skinny jeans too so there isn’t so much fabric.

bbymks5 likes this.
  20. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I do LOL! Or if I'm wearing a more straight legged pair I'll take the little bit of extra bit of the leg, fold it over and roll it a couple times ROFL!!!!