Lightroom Question

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by jk703, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

For your photos (or kits for that matter) in LR, why don't you just take the one photo of a folder that you want as a preview image and put it into a collection? That way you have an overview of all your previews with one click. And you can go to the relevant folder from there.

So far the topic of (smart) collections hasn't been mentioned, so I am not sure if you know about them. They are a great feature and can be utilized in many many ways.

jk703 likes this.
  2. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

I have been using LR since version one in 2008 and really you could not pay me to try to use it for scrap stuff. It is an awesome program but not for a task like this.

jk703 likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Yes... I think that is the way that I am headed! I think scrolling through those preview photos will help me and my visual ways! Oh... and I'm going to DL the Lite version of Argus tonight too! I might try a free trial of Seer too (in Mac you could hit the space bar and it would show the preview from that location, just something else I'm used to! Thank you! :)

Bridge really sounds perfect for the scrap items! TY!

4. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

That is exactly what I do, too!!!

Except that I do have one folder of web sized layouts in LR for sharing to Instagram. There's a plug-in you can get for Lightroom to make Insta sharing really easy!! :)

gonewiththewind and jk703 like this.
  5. jk703

oooooo.... please let me know that plug-in... I really want to share on IG too... but my photos and a few web layouts along the way too! :)

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

(Lightroom) If your albums have a title you should be able to search "lava", or "schroon" in the text search and the photos will come up.
    I mostly keep all my photos in a single year folder (I know, I just gave a heart attack to a lot of people!) But, I do have a folder called WITL from when I was working on that project. I haven't moved all the photos out yet, so if I type WITL, only the photos in that folder show up.
    [​IMG]

Here's another example, pre-Lightroom (pre digi!), I worked on a photo book for my mom. It was a paper project, and I never actually finished it. But I pulled those photos, labelled mom(#), into LR. So, if I search "mom" it pulls all the photos named that way, as well as all the photos in that "mom" folder.
    [​IMG]

(Lightroom) This may not be what you are thinking. Here's my two cents on this. You can open a folder on the side, ctrl+A and it selects all the photos in that folder. Then you could add whatever tag you wanted, and the whole folder would be tagged? It's your catalog, you know how you want it to work for you.

jk703 likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

And I was going to add, I use the Totally Rad presets in LR. Love them. I tried Rad Lab out, and I really like not having another program open, but being able to just click the presets from inside LR. But I'm not a big editor. I mostly just fix the yellow overcast in my mom's kitchen, highlights, shadows, and contrasts.

jk703 likes this.
  8. jk703

@bestcee Yes... tagging a whole folder, I will try. Good idea! I might just see how I do without tagging, and just maybe add more info to the folder name. ?? Will see once I delve further!

As for RadLab... I just used it within Photoshop, so I didn't have to open another program, since I was scrapping in Photoshop. But knowing I can edit using RadLab in PS or in LR is a plus! No matter what I'm in, I can edit using the plug-in! I don't edit much either.... and usually RadLab will work with the tweaking you can do for each change you make is perfect for me.

bestcee likes this.
  9. dailydwelling

dailydwelling Confidently cooking and creating

Here's the plug-in I use for direct posting to Instagram through Lightroom. It has been a game changer for me!

https://www.lrinstagram.com/

gonewiththewind, mollyc and jk703 like this.
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@jk703 I admit that I'm looking forward to comparing laptop setups IN PERSON in a couple months! I'm sure by then you'll have figured out what works best for you. :)

jk703 likes this.
  11. jk703

HaHa! Yes.... I thought we would be sightseeing, so I wasn't thinking of bringing the computer. I will now! It will be fun to compare! (I still don't know about the hotel... We have to see what happens with our taxes and summer camp costs!)

Tree City likes this.
  12. Tree City

@jk703 I'll have mine so you can at least see what my Photos app looks like. I can't figure out why yours looks different. :( I did find this Microsoft link, which has a quick rundown of the app. That might be nice for you to see. But I'm of no help with LR. I don't use it. If you do end up using it (and liking it lol), then I'm gonna want your review of it! I use PS CS3, and I am very tempted to just sign up for the CC.

13. jk703

Here is what mine looks like.... There's no real way to organize or change how to view it, or the sizing of images... that I can tell. @Tree City Once I get over my hurdles, I think i will love CC!

Attached Files:

14. Tree City

@jk703 that's so weird. The link I posted shows how you can change the albums they create but IDK how to change folders. :(

15. jk703

It doesn't even have that sidebar. It's so strange that I would have a different version.

16. Tree City

Is there a way to see if you need an update, Jenn @jk703 ? I checked and I think I have the newest version. But I could be quite wrong lol.

17. jk703

It says all my updates have been done and they are done automatically. Hmmm.... so strange! @Tree City

18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Jenn, I haven't read all the posts thoroughly but I do understand what you mean. I have Photos and I have LRCC and I have never seen anything that looks like your screenshot. LR from Version 4 to CC has always been that gray combo. But anyway...I really feel I heard one teacher say you CAN do what you want to do and make one photo the 'cover' image for a folder. It's finding the words to ask the question correctly that bugs me now! If I figure it out I'll tell you.

But here are two screen shots that show my Photos folders and then my LR Folders. Since mine are almost always by date, esp for PL, I can easily find things...more or less. I do tag though also but not so much in the LR catalog that is just photographs. Those are mainly new ones though my images do go back to 2001. 1st digital photos?

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 7.50.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 7.52.48 AM.png

btw, I do have two other catalogs and LOVE having my Digi Supplies organized in LR. I have been doing this for about 4 years. One of those catalogs is only TLP and I have an extensive keyword system even though I do recall many more things visually. I love being able to just put 'paper' in the search and get my choice of millions. The 3rd catalog is all the rest of the digi world!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  19. jk703

Maureen.... the screen shot I posted was from the Windows Photos App.... not the Mac Photos App. That might be why they look different. I'm transitioning to Windows, so far so good. I'm probably going to use Bridge for scrap organization, and LR for Photos. I'm trying to be flexible, but it's different, so the change over will take time to get use to. I sort byu date mostly, and will tag for events. Just have to narrow down my tag list, so that it will be consistent. :) If you do figure out how to change the "cover" image of a folder in LR, I'd love to know! That would be fantastic for my photos. I am going to try something tonight, but we shall see.

20. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Keywording/tagging is pretty easy. I will open a folder and select the entire contents and then tag them all at one time . . . like "family dinner" or "beach" or "movies."

Like you said, the important thing is that you find what's good for YOUR method of viewing and scrapping. I've taken what things make me more efficient and used that to my advantage, but that doesn't mean my way is the right way or would work best for you. Just know I'm here to help any way that I can, but don't feel you have to apologize because you don't take my input. LOL

I mean, already, this thread has great ideas . . . the Instagram sharing plugin. Oh my. :)

jk703 likes this.