Lightroom for digital supplies and photo organization

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Angiea1114, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Angiea1114

Angiea1114 Member

I have used LR to organize my digi stash only for a few years. I started by tagging everything, and now I tag just the previews but I have over 500 gb of supplies.
    I now would like to use LR to organization my photos for Project Life. I’ve read lots about how everything should be in one catalog. I want to set up Smart collections for the weeks for PL. I’m worried if I do one combined catalog, that somehow digi supplies will end up in those smart collections. Is there any type of metadata other than the name of the file that could be in the digi supply files that could cause them to end up going into my Smart collections set up by dates?
    I hope this makes sense! Any suggestions are welcome! I have searched through the forums and read lots but not necessarily concerning a combined LR catalog.

Thanks

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I keep my photos and supplies in different catalogs because I wanted to avoid exactly that - having digi supplies pull into smart collections.

@scrappyjedi Melissa? Do you keep your Digi supplies in LR? I know you use smart collections.
    Can you narrow down the folder that it pulls the collection from? So it's only pulling from the photo folder?

3. bestcee

4. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

@bestcee

I do keep my digi supplies in Lightroom, but I have a separate catalog for photos and supplies so I don't have a problem with digital supplies showing up in my PL week Smart Collections. I do all of my photo work (picking, editing, etc.) in my photo catalog, then export the edited images as JPEGs (because I shoot in RAW) to folders that are named with the dates of the week, and I import *that* folder into my digi supply catalog. I know that seems redundant, but for me it means that I can delete a photo or set of photos (because I just delete the edited images, which are copies anyway) when I've finished scrapping them, so the only photos that are in my digital supply catalog are the ones that I haven't scrapped yet. And everything is still safe and complete over in the photo catalog.

You can filter on lots of other metadata in a Smart Collection, but even if you used file type to filter out PNG, PSD, TIFF, etc., you'd still probably get digital papers in with your photos. Plus iPhone screenshots are PNG files, so you'd be filtering those out, too.

It's a bit of the long way around, but you could apply a keyword to either all of your photos or all of your digi supplies (or a different keyword to all of each), and then set that up as a parameter in your smart collection. You'd had to remember to apply that keyword to anything new that you imported, but it would definitely keep things separate.

But I think I'll just stick to my two catalog system!! :giggle I do have to switch back and forth between them, but I do like having the separation.

Edited to add: You can sort of tell Lightroom which folder to choose from, but you have to use words that the folder name can contain- you can't just choose a photo in the catalog. In the Smart Collection setup screen, you'd go to Source->Folder and then the best choice is probably "Contains All" in the drop-down menu, and then type the name of the folder into the box. That should get it to select items only from a folder with that exact name (or containing all of the words in the name).

bestcee likes this.
  5. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I used to use LR for organizing both and had everything in one catalog. I cannot remember exactly how I did it (it's a couple of years ago) but my supplies never showed up in smart collections, so it can be done.

bestcee likes this.
  6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

My system is pretty much a duplicate of @scrappyjedi (btw, my iPhone screenshots are all jpg. I don't know it that's a phone setting option - png or jpg)

Yes, I have a couple of catalogs...1. For all my photos that I now import week by week for each year so they are already sorted for PL. I edit them in LR also. Years pre PL are just by year and main events/trips within that year. 2. I also have a catalog for TLP and 3rd catalog for other stores. I import the digi stuff into LR each month, having a monthly folder on my desktop for all of what I buy. Then in LR I tag and move stuff to each designer's area. My tags are what's important for me as I don't feel the need to immediately use things I buy. I more often tag an item that has a name that gives no clue of what it is. grrrr. I do keep things I love for a long long time and reuse often.

While I do make Smart collections, it's mostly for an other store's designer's Previews. With TLP, I know mostly what each designer's stuff looks like and so it's often easier to just search in Finder. I hope this helps!

7. Angiea1114

Angiea1114 Member

Thank you!

It sounds like two catalogs would be best and if all comes to worse I have read you could merge them.

I planned on taking any photos I have (lots of sd cards) and getting them all on one EHD. Then setup smart collections per year for the older and for the past couple years set up a weekly format as well.

The goal is to have this set up so that 2018 is a streamlined process. I have my iPhone photos automatically going to Dropbox and planned on setting up Lightroom to watch that camera uploads folder. I believe the smart collection will still pull those photos based on the criteria I set up ( like a weekly span).
    Once I scrap a week of PL, I could delete those photos from Lightroom and they would remain on EHD, correct??

bestcee likes this.
  8. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

Yes, a smart collection will still pull in photos that are brought into Lightroom from a watched folder. I use the same setup for my iPhone photos!

I only delete photos from my digital supply catalog, not from my photo catalog, so just be careful where you are deleting from! The photos in my digital supply catalog are exported copies and live far, far away from my originals. Lightroom also has a couple of options when you delete- remove from catalog, or delete from disk. If you simply remove from catalog, then the images are still on your hard drive, just no longer visible to Lightroom. If you delete from disk, they are gone forever.

9. bestcee

Yes!
    I set up my Android to Dropbox, and Lightroom watches Dropbox. In fact, I let Lightroom move the photos from Dropbox to their permanent folder.
    When I open Lightroom, it takes a few minutes to sync my photos, but all the phone photos automatically go to the smart collections they belong in.

And yes, you can delete from the catalog, but be careful like Melissa said. You don't want to delete from the disk, or it will delete your photo.

10. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

how do you set up a "different catalog" I have tried and can't seem to get it to work.

11. Angiea1114

Angiea1114 Member

Since you all have such amazing information, once I get the second catalog set up, and I set it up to watch the camera uploads folder for auto back, what’s the best way to handle the thousands of pictures in that phone as my iphone is a year old? Should I move them within LR to another spot to empty this folder? And as it fills up again with the auto back up, what do you do? However, The pics should move to the correct mart collection based on the date taken, right?

12. bestcee

File - New Catalog. And then you pick a name so you know which catalog you are opening. So, maybe name one Digi? Or Photos?

13. bestcee

I'm not sure what you are asking. When you set up the watched folder, it will need to be empty. So, what I did is move all the photos in Dropbox to a separate temporary folder (on the computer). Then set up the Lightroom watch folder. Then I moved the photos into the watched folder. I have Lightroom take the photos from Dropbox and file them into the year folder on my computer. When 2018 comes, I'll tell Lightroom to move them to that folder instead of 2017. I don't worry about my year folders being huge. I have split up a year when I had over 13,000 photos for the year.

Then, once the photos on my phone have been added to the Dropbox folder, and LR moves them to their year folder, I know I can delete them off my phone. (My computer is backed up with BackBlaze online).
    I have Lightroom file them into the year folders because that's my photo system for my other photos (DSLR, friends and family, etc). The rule with Lightroom is once LR knows about the photo, only move it inside LR. I do know some people prefer to have LR bring photos into a generic folder (like Holding Room), and then the person moves the photos to their home inside LR. I think that's a personal choice, and what works for you.
    As far as emptying the folder goes, because LR moves the photos from my Dropbox folder into the computer folder whenever I open LR, my Dropbox folder stays fairly empty. My phone folder doesn't, so I have to empty that one out about every 6 months or so.

Yes, my photos go to the smart collection based on the date taken because that's the parameter I set up in the Smart settings.

14. Angiea1114

Angiea1114 Member

Thank you. I didn’t realize you could set LR to actually put the photos into a folders automatically based on parameters. I thought you could only set up collections automatically and again collections are just groups of photos with those parameters but they could be in different folders on your computer , correct?

So if I want the camera uploads folder in Dropbox to be the watched folder, I empty in to another temporary folder, then set the camera folder to be watched and then put them back in there, right? Then if I set it up to put those in a correct year it should file those per my parameters and then be emptied until I take more pictures with my phone. Is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions but before I go all out buying another EHD and moving pictures and files and setting up a second catalog, I want to be sure I do it right to avoid a mess. Thanks for your patience!

bestcee likes this.
  15. bestcee

No worries about the questions! This is how we learn.
    Thought on the previous discussion: When you set up a Smart Collection, you can add the folder. So, you could tell it to only pull from your photo folders.

This is how I did it. I know Lightroom prompted me to let me know that it had to be an empty folder to start. But that's exactly what I did - emptied Dropbox, set it up, refilled Dropbox.

This is what my auto import folder {watched folder} settings look like:
    Capture2.PNG

Then on the side where my folder list is:
    Capture.PNG

Does the visual help?
    I could have it go straight into 2017, but I don't. Not sure exactly why. I usually only look specifically there when I need a shot I know I took with my phone. When I look in the 2017 folder, it includes what's in the Dropbox folder too.

Yes, after I open Lightroom, my Dropbox Photo Folder on my computer is empty because Lightroom moved the photos to the E drive (my main drive. Long story).

16. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Wow this thread has been so helpful! I am hopefully going to get around to putting my digi stuff into LR soon. These tips and Cheryl's LR series are going to make it so easy!!

bestcee likes this.
  17. Angiea1114

Angiea1114 Member

Thank you all! I am going to attempt to start organizing photos into LR later this week once I purchase another EHD tomorrow. I have been watching Terry White’s (works for Adobe) Intro to LR on YouTube. It’s an 8 part series but WOW, it totally has helped me understand the mechanics of LR. I am currently on the 4th one where he goes over the Develop module and he gives so many helpful tips on using the histogram, etc! It’s long, an hour each episode, but if I’m going to edit my photos, a little training along the way isn’t a bad thing!

bestcee likes this.
  18. rdjrneace

Question - when you modify photo in lightroom how to you get it into Photoshop to scrap it? Do you save it back to your "storage location"?

19. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I just drag the photo from the Finder into Photoshop*. But you can also open it from Lightroom. Right-click on the photo in the Library module and choose Open in Photoshop.

*If it's a raw file it will open in Adobe Camera Raw first so you can edit it if you want, but I usually don't because I've already edited it in Lightroom (and it "sees" those prior edits). I just click Open and it places it on my layout.

20. rdjrneace

I don't see to have the option to "open in Photoshop" when I do as mentioned above. I also can't seem to drag photo from lightroom anywhere.