Let's Get Wordy!

Discussion in 'Journaling and Storytelling' started by scrapsandsass, Feb 1, 2016.

1. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Happy February! I'm sure that a lot of you are going through MOC withdrawal already and wondering what you will do with your scrap time now that you aren't churning out so many pages.

We're hoping that you'll spend some time journaling! I know, some of you are thinking Ugh! I hate journaling. And others of you don't mind it at all. But hopefully we can all pull together and strengthen those journaling muscles and get ready for some fun things that are planned in the upcoming months.

Let us know what struggles you have with journaling and how we can help to get you excited about being wordy. :) Like... do you feel that your writing isn't exciting? Or your grasp of grammar isn't the best? Or do you just feel weird about plugging a block of text onto a page and destroying your design? Or... ??

Feel free to leave questions/comments below, and in the upcoming weeks, we hope to get you some tools and exercises to help remove those obstacles.

lorryfach likes this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

you had me until exercise...lol, just kidding! I am all in for helping people to journal more, tell the story!

enjoyyourpix and fruitysuet like this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Journaling has always been important to me. I started documenting my life in words in 3rd grade, a few years before I began collecting stuff in a scrapbook.

I feel like a page is unfinished without journaling and like writing down the details the pictures don't tell.

enjoyyourpix and fruitysuet like this.
  4. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

to hard for me, be it a private thing or just my lose of cogitive thinking

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  5. enjoyyourpix

enjoyyourpix My mama don't like you

Like Cath, a lot of journaling is too private for the 'net. It's a creativity issue too. My writing brain is different than my play with pretty pictures brain. Getting them to connect at the same time can be a challenge.

y_baros, jsutterfield4 and HeyJude like this.
  6. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

For those that struggle, have you thought about saying out loud as if you were talking to someone, recording it for example on your phone, then just playing it back and typing it out (without the uhms, erms and likes!)?

7. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Some phones even have talk to text and will convert it for you. the iPhone notepad will do it. =)

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  8. redplaid3

redplaid3 Just call me Zaley's Grammy!

I tend to leave journaling to the end and then don't know where to put it or if I do it first, I don't like the design after. I almost feel like the journaling should be separate.

enjoyyourpix and scrapsandsass like this.
  9. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

I used to have a hard time with the journaling part, but being part of Sara's CT made me realize that stories have to be told. I'm not good with words, so most of the time I'll just write a few lines to give a background story of what was happening when the picture was taken.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  10. HeyJude

HeyJude Professor of Digital Wizardry

This is me too. I would love to learn how to creatively incorporate journaling onto a page - especially in ways where it is not really legible to others (but I know that it is there) and it adds to the overall design of the page.

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  11. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Stories have to be told. First and foremost, my pages are for my family. I write my thoughts. They don't always line up in my page as I'd like. I sometimes re arrange. Sometimes I write first, if I know it will be a journaling focused page.

MrsGaramer likes this.
  12. StarryEyedDesigns

StarryEyedDesigns My goal, is to make a goal

My struggles with journaling is I never know what to say, and everything I write sounds stupid to me. Even when I try to just do it from the heart. I'm way more of a minimalist as far as journaling goes.

FarrahJobling likes this.
  13. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

Not every story has to be heartfelt. Perhaps you think you need to add more emotion than necessary. Sometimes just being more descriptive in narrating a story is all that is required to lift your journaling up a level.

lorryfach and aballen like this.
  14. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I doubt it sounds nearly as stupid as you think. We are our own worst critics! And it doesn't have to be Shakespeare. It just needs to tell more about the memory than the picture does alone. :)

scrapsandsass and aballen like this.
  15. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Ditto...and when I do write something from the heart, I feel embarrassed to let anyone read it.

16. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

For me, it's about remembering why I took the picture. I want to be able to go back years from now and be able to read just a small bit to help me remember. It's also for my kids. I want them to remember the times as well. I mostly scrap project life style so I think that makes journaling easier. I love looking at clean pages but end up filling mine with thoughts.

scrapsandsass likes this.
  17. Sharon Evans

Sharon Evans Well-Known Member

I never have a problem with what to say - and sometimes it's a lot and sometimes it's not! But my favourite pages are when the text is an integral part of the page - working as a design element itself if you will. Sometimes it just happens for me - but I'd love some more ideas about how to do it purposefully.

18. LBscraps

LBscraps Well-Known Member

This isn't a whole lot of journaling, but it revolves around words - [​IMG]

19. Shivani

Shivani I live in an anemonemone. An amnemonemomne.

The thing that I struggle with journaling is that photos are usually my prompts for the words so limited by the kind and number of photos I take. I usually scrap about my kids and sometimes struggle to write about those behind the scenes thoughts. Sometimes I will go with photoless or abstract to make do but these are few and far between.

20. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

What she said

enjoyyourpix likes this.