Leftovers | Pad Patter 11.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Nov 19, 2017.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We were talking a bit in the Pictionary Game last night about Thanksgiving leftovers and I mentioned that no one but me really eats leftovers in my house. DH will if there is nothing else he wants to fool with and DS never. When I cook, I love to make sure there's extra so that I don't have to cook the next day and/or I have something to take in my lunch that doesn't require prepping in the morning! If I do decide I'm having leftovers for dinner, the people in this house can either eat it or fend for themselves :giggle

What about you? Do you do leftovers?
    Bonus for your fav thing to do with turkey leftovers! I usually do sandwiches, turkey noodle soup, or turkey tetrazzini.

cfile and Angela Toucan like this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Not easy to cook for one so leftovers are always in this house. I do sometimes get tired of them because they do last me several days. I fixed spaghetti last night and have enough sauce left over for 5 more meals.

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

At least since I became a person who provides food regularly for four other people, I've LOVED leftovers. They're so convenient!

Angela Toucan and IntenseMagic like this.
  4. IntenseMagic

Can you freeze some of the sauce? I do that from time to time.

Yes!! Any time I can get more than one meal out of something, I consider it a win!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

We like making pies or curries with leftovers. I also use leftovers to make savoury snacks for lunchboxes and picnics etc. Here are the two snack recipes we use the most.

Attached Files:

bestcee and IntenseMagic like this.
  6. IntenseMagic

Oh my gosh, those both sound so good!! What a great way to use leftovers! Thanks for sharing...I'm saving those ideas!

Angela Toucan likes this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

you are welcome. I hope you and your family enjoy them. My kids definitely do judging by how many they try squeezing into their lunchboxes some days.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

My hubs would prefer not to but since I do the cooking, he doesn't get a choice in the matter. After yrs of cooking I've gotten to the point where I don't enjoy it, I want to get in and out of the kitchen as quickly as possible. So now I try to make double and triple portions so that we can eat leftovers or I freeze it. I often keep a bit of meat/veggies from dinner to heat up for lunch the next day. Or I use the leftover meat to add to a salad for lunch the next day. I've got my hubs bringing his leftover Chinese food home every week (him and the guys from work go for lunch to a local place that has huge servings) and I use the noodles/rice for a few meals for him which is great b/c I don't eat noodles/rice and this provides the side dish for him without me having to do anything other than reheating it.

I order a medium pizza for hubs and he eats one half for dinner and then I freeze the other half for another meal for him. We often eat different proteins and side dishes so having leftovers to use helps. Same thing with rice, he gets a serving for dinner, then I freeze the rest in ziplocs for other meals for him. I do a low carb diet and this makes things so much easier for me b/c he doesn't do LC and if I had to make separate meals all the time for us I would go crazy.

To make life easier I freeze meatballs, chili, spaghetti sauce, guacamole, pulled pork/chicken, spiced beef, taco soup, rice and burger patties so I always have something on hand for dinner and/or to add to some other leftovers.

BevG, Angela Toucan and IntenseMagic like this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yep, did that. My problem is I always forget it is in there to get it out to thaw. Found some stuff in my freezer when I cleaned it out when I did the kitchen remodel that I don't even remember when I made it! I need to get better about opening the freezer earlier in the day to see what I could possibly have for my night meal.

10. IntenseMagic

Yep, mine doesn't get a choice either lol. Eat the leftovers or make something yourself :). I wish I could get better about freezing things!

I am so bad about this, too! When I do try to think ahead and freeze things, I forget they're there!

11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We always do leftovers.. I laugh and always say my husband can make leftovers taste like firsts, but I always loved Thanksgiving leftovers. Turkey sandwhiches are the best!

IntenseMagic and Angela Toucan like this.
  12. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

My husband takes leftovers for lunch anytime we have them. I am far pickier about leftovers. I don’t usually like meat reheated because I think it tastes different. Turkey though, I like to eat cold. I really love turkey and tomato sandwiches.

13. Christina W

Christina W Well-Known Member

Mmmm...turkey and tomato sandwiches! Now I am hungry!
    My husband is pretty bad with eating the leftovers, but I love making big batches of soup or stew and freezing them in individual containers for work. Actually, I will take that back - my husband will eat leftover desserts so quickly I have to hide them if I want to get any. But leftover entrees seem to get ignored :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. IntenseMagic

I prefer turkey cold! Actually there are several meats I like cold...pork chops, plain chicken, even hamburger patties.

15. IntenseMagic

Oh yes!! My hubby will eat all the desserts!!

Christina W likes this.
  16. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

My husband is like that. He will eat numerous leftovers cold. Turkey and ham I like cold, but that’s it. I can’t even do leftover pizza- hot or cold.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I have a magnetic white board on my freezer door with a list of what is in there.

My college son comes home each weekend and eats all the leftovers. I usually cook 3 or 4 times a week and we eat leftovers the rest of the time.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

What a great idea!!

19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Usually leftovers go to work the next day with DH. Or he eats them for breakfast. There are a few things that end up in the freezer, like spaghetti sauce! I can't figure out how to make that in a smaller size! But I try to check the freezer every 2 weeks to see what's in there that looks good.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i had some leftover cold homemade pizza for lunch today - usually i can't do cold any pizza but our microwave is pretty useless and noisy at the moment and i knew it wash pretty much mushrooms, zucchini and cheese and wasn't so bad and it was in between doing stuff so anyway

It depends on the food as to whether the fam will eat leftovers-we freeze a ot of food though cos i cook in big batches like you ,Jan, to intentionally have leftovers

IntenseMagic likes this.