Lay Flat question

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Oct 17, 2017.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I'm all full of questions today!!

I'm about to do my first lay-flat binding album. Do I need to scrap the pages 12x24, or 12x12?

Also, which printer have you been best satisfied with? The cost of printing lay flat is substantially more expensive, so I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks!

ForeverJoy and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  2. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I don't know how much help I am since mine have usually been pocket pages... but I've always just scrapped page by page, not by spread. So in your case, I have uploaded individual 12x12's.

I have only printed through Shutterfly and so far, so good. I have sample books that they sent me for a project I worked with them on, if you want some detailed photos. I honestly think I like the deluxe layflat best, but I have had no issues with the standard. If you're really close to being done, Shutterfly is running their 40% off everything and free extra pages sale through tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the 40% off also covers upgrades like layflat.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  3. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Either. But I usually scrap in 12x24. You can upload the whole layout and add it to the album as one page.

I usually print with Shutterfly because they have a higher page limit(110), but I prefer AdoramaPix's (76 pages)quality. Shutterfly almost always has a 40% off and free shipping code. Both companies have wonderful customer service. I also print 10x10 books instead of 12x12. They are easier to hold and fit better on your bookshelf. Also, they aren't as costly as the 12x12. No need to re-size your pages. They will automatically resize.

And to be honest, the books do cost a little more, Jan, but worth every penny. The pages are thick and don't bend when kids look at them. You don't have to buy an album and page protectors. When you're done and see the price, divide that by the number of pages you end up with and think about the size of the photos on each page. You couldn't print those pictures for the same price.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. djp332

Also, when you print lay-flat pages, you never have to worry about losing journaling or photos in the gutter. You've seen my pages. I just ignore that there is even supposed to be a gutter.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I have done all my double pagers as 12x24.

ForeverJoy likes this.
  6. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

patsyt, QuiltyMom and ashleywb like this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

8. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've done done layflat through Shutterfly and they are amazing, but I didn't love how FAT the books were so I went back to doing regular books. However, I just saw in an email on October 9th, that Blurb is doing layflat as well. There are two levels, the thicker ones like Shutterfly and a thinner version. I think I will try the thinner version next time I order a book. :)

9. Karen

Oh and I always just do 12 x 12 pages even with layflat. :)

bestcee likes this.
  10. KittyY

KittyY Who is Dol-say and Gab-anna?

I make my kids a yearbook every year - I get it done through York Photo (check Groupon for coupons!) and I do 8x8 :)

cfile likes this.
  11. willimena

willimena Well-Known Member

Ooh I love layflat. I have used AdoramaPix (expensive but great quality) but now that they don't ship to Oz, I've tried Picaboo and am going to try Artifact Uprising. I totally hear you on the expense - I upload and wait for notification of a sale. I make 12x24 layouts and upload them as I specifically choose layflat because I want the whole 12x24'' to be cohesive and often want my photo/s across the 'gutter'.

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

13. cfile

Years ago York printed all my photos from Film. My brother in law even had them develop my wedding photos he took (he was our photographer).. Didn't know York was still in business. Going to have to check them out!

KittyY likes this.
  14. djp332

Shutterfly Now has 2 versions, although the newest version isn’t a true lay-flat. There is a separation in the middle. The pages are not as thick.
    book.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  15. djp332

Here's another pic of what my 10x10 Shutterfly books look like on my shelf. The thickest ones are 110 pages. They are thick, but if you look just below them you can see the tops of some older CM albums that I've added my 12x12 layouts to. They are much thicker.
    albums.jpg

16. Karen

Thank you so much for posting this! I saw their description that said something about hinged pages and I wished I could SEE what they meant. For me, this would be perfect because I don't do double page spreads... I just want my journaling and pictures that are close to the gutter to be visible.

So in your in your picture of your bookshelf... are the 2015, 2016 and London albums the true layflat kinds with the thick pages? They look similar in thickness to the couple of original layflat books I bought from Shutterfly.... so which one is the the "hinged" layflat book in your bookshelf picture? I'd love to see the difference in thickness in the overall book width... :) (by the way I stuff my Shutterfly books to as close to 110 pages as I can too!) :)

17. djp332

Here are some more pictures. The London Book is over 100 pages. The 8x8 black book is only 26 pages. Both are the true lay-flat, thick pages. The book on top is 8x8 lay-flat, has only 20 pages, but with the separation in the middle and thinner pages. (It was supposed to be a gift, but since it was so thin, I messed up on the title on the spine. I made it too big. So I printed it again with the other lay-flat pages. I no longer have that book here to compare those two.)
    books2.jpg
    books1.jpg

18. Karen

You are the best @djp332 !!! This is so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to take and post these pictures.

djp332 likes this.
  19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

20. cfile