Laptop/Chromebook for digi scrapping??

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by KayTeaPea, Apr 14, 2018.

1. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

Ok, i am a dinosaur and have always used a desktop for scrapping digitally. My birthday is coming up and I am looking into getting a laptop to be able to scrapbook away from my desk. What do i need to look for in order to use Photoshop or Creative Cloud on a laptop? Any requirements i need to make sure are available? I am trying to keep the price as low as possible, but need to make sure the device i choose will be able to keep up with the memory hog that digi scrapping tends to be. Thanks for any and all advice and recommendations!

2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

My only experience with using a laptop to scrap was long, long ago, and I didn't like it. It was hard to find a good angle of the screen for a good view of my scrapbook page in Photoshop. And the screen just wasn't large enough. I think it was a 15" Toshiba, if I remember correctly. Of course, there could have been improvements in screen technology to reduce glare, and I know some people do scrap on laptops. I just hope I never have to again. (Patting my 2011 iMac lovingly, hoping it will last many more years! :)

3. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

I prefer a desktop for scrapping just b/c of the size, but mine is SUPER slow (and old) so I'm back to my laptop. It works fine, just a smaller screen so a little annoying. I use a macbook and PS CC.

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I too tried a laptop to scrap, but found bringing my EHD around was nerve racking! I am a desk top scrapper, because I love 2 screens! I would love a 3rd screen now, actually! bhahhah
    but if you are really wanting to do the laptop scrapping, I would get a solid state EHD, so you can access your goodies and photos easily. I think you can access from your harddrive someway too..but I'm an old dog here too! lo
    Battery life is another thing to keep in mind, and are you gonna use a mouse or the pad on the laptop? Just a whole lot to have to tote around in my old lady opinion.
    Invest in a second monitor and buy more scrap things !tee hee

5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I scrap on a 17" Asus gaming laptop with 16GB RAM and have no issues running anything, even multiple things. It also has a solid state drive. Most of the time it stays on my desk with a 24" monitor attached to it just to make scrapping easier, but I do fine with it on it's own.

6. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

After working with a 27" screen for 10+ years, I'd have to be truly desperate to scrap on my 15" Macbook. My eyes got 10+ years older ya know! I think it will end up being a graduation for my daughter when she gets her B.A. this fall.

bestcee likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I haven't had anything but a laptop for years. I wouldn't trade them. I like the fact that I don't have all the other "stuff" and I usually scrap at my desk, but I love it because I can take it with me if I go away.

I have had Dells forever and have had great success with them. Just get lots of memory - mine is up in the terabytes. I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron 15 and my screen is fine. Of course, this is what I'm used to. I run Photoshop Elements on mine and just upgraded to 2018. I also have Photoshop CC.

8. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I use a laptop because it's all I have. I have no issues and I can sit wherever I want. Which is usually on the couch with my feet propped up.

A Chromebook is not really going to work for scrapping unless you are using a web-based program. A Chromebook is basically just going to get you on the internet and that's about it.

BevG likes this.
  9. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I have an oversized laptop with a touch screen that I use for scrapping. I LOVE it... well, other than the fact it is actually impossible to find a laptop bag for it! It's a Dell that we purchased refurbished from them about four years ago and it works fantastic. I homeschool my daughter, so I love that I can carry it around with me as we complete assignments in various areas of the house (we have a homeschool room, but we never seem to stay in it all day). I also work on the couch a lot at night and it's great for that too.

10. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I use a laptop, I think you have more options for software and more local storage with a laptop than you do with a Chromebook or similar.

11. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Your "minimum requirements" question made me curious so I actually Googled it. Photoshop recommends 8GB of RAM with 2GB dedicated VRAM and at least Intel® Core 2 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor; 2 GHz or faster processor. I bet most laptops nowadays have at least 8GB RAM, so you should be good.

I LOVE my HP Envy 17" laptop. It has 16GB RAM and a 1TB HD (technically I have TWO drives as I also have a recovery drive, but I digress) and runs Intel i7, but I bet you could get away with i5. It simultaneously runs PS CC, iTunes and a few tabs open in Firefox--plus of course I have my DS folder open to the kit with which I'm working, and sometimes I have a second DS folder open (or my DS Excel spreadsheet). I've never had any issues with freezing or anything.

Good luck finding one you like! I really like my Envy. It wasn't cheap, but it does so much and has lots of goodies (like good graphics, 4 USB ports, an SD card slot, and a DVD drive). The battery doesn't last as long as I'd like, but isn't that always the case? :)

12. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I have only scrapped on a laptop, specifically a MacBook Pro. Right now I have a 15 inch with 1 T Hard Drive and I think it has 32 GB RAM. The more, the merrier!

13. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Many recommend gaming machines because they often have dedicated graphics cards with their own memory. Since scrapping uses lots of graphics, you get better performance on them. Always get as much memory (RAM) and fastest processor that your budget allows. I really like Dells. This one is 4 years old and still going strong.

I have scrapped on a laptop for years. I can't give up my comfy chaise chair (feet always up) and room for the pup dog to snuggle beside me. I would love a second bigger monitor but where would I put it? I too love the convenience of taking my computer places and scrapping where ever, even in the car (if you can block the glare). Got a lot done at piano lessons, sitting at the instructor's kitchen table, etc.

14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I used to scrap with a laptop and I would just dock it on my desk and output to two monitors. I rarely used it at other locations as I found the screen too small for my liking. So when it came time to buy a new computer, I went to a desktop. There have only been one or two times that I wished I had a laptop to take with me, and that's really not enough to trade in the desktop for me.

I did look at Best Buy recently, at an ASUS all-in-one and I was sorely tempted to purchase it. I currently have an ASUS desktop and I love it for running multiple programs.

Good luck finding the perfect thing. I'd recommend that you find out the minimum specs for what you typically run at one time and then make sure you are well above that to ensure smooth operating.

15. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member

I scrap on a ASUS gaming laptop with it's own dedicated graphics card plus touchscreen. All I have ever used was a laptop. I love the portability to scrap wherever I want. I initially upgraded to this laptop for the IPS screen so I could calibrate the colors for my photography editing.

BevG likes this.
  16. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I too prefer to scrap using my desktop with 2 monitors. Nice have Paint Shop Pro open on one screen and Picasa open on the other to choose photos and digi supplies. I have scrapped on various laptops over the years when I've gone to retreats. I have always plugged them in and have used a regular mouse with them which doesn't make them all that portable. All digi supplies have always been on an EHD.

So I stick to the desktop. I seem to get more done in a shorter period of time when using it. On another note, I could not use my laptop on my lap... a certain puppy would want to be on it all the time. I have a hard time sitting on the couch and reading using my Kindle because she wants to be on my lap!

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This is the one I have - although mine is a few years old - 2015. I'm not currently using it, except when we travel. (I prefer my desktop with the 2 screens.) It works fine for Photoshop CC, or for Lightroom CC. I did notice it would slow down a little when I had both Lightroom and Photoshop open, or if I was running Photoshop for more than 5 hours or so. I just shut LR, or restarted the computer to clear out the memory. The thing I hate about it is 2 of the 4 USB ports stopped working. And sadly, they are connected to the motherboard, so not an easy fix.

I ended up buying a backpack bag with the laptop spot. I actually love it because it's big enough to put the laptop in, and my DSLR. We had to do the same for DH's laptop.

18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I bought a padded sleeve for my laptop and then I just put it in a tote bag along with my mouse, cord, EHD, etc.

I also have a DSLR backpack with a laptop sleeve, but man that thing is heavy when both are in it, along with a few lens, flash, etc!!!

19. djp332

I just bought a new Vera Bradley backpack that has a pretty big space for a laptop. Much bigger than my older Vera backpack.

20. djp332

That's how I scrap - in my recliner with my feet propped up. I have a lap desk that works very well.

BevG likes this.