Keto diet

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by JillW, Jan 8, 2017.

1. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

I am curious if anyone follows the Keto diet? I'm all for it - but hubs doesn't think it's practical. I just downloaded a free Kindle edition book and am going to read through it today ...

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I do Low carb, high (good) fat and it works for me!

jenn33199 and JillW like this.
  3. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

i'm just a terrible dieter. i need to lose ten pounds and i think it's the hardest ten. gah! i should look into this one.

4. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

I lost 30 pounds on keto over the spring/summer, but slowly started eating carbs when school started, then started craving sugar again. I've gained 7 pounds back since September. I'm ready to get back into it though. Once you get going it works really well! @mcurtt is also on keto. Oh, and @mommyish is a real pro!

LoveItScrapIt, Danyale and mcurtt like this.
  5. NancyBeck

NancyBeck Happy resident of Pollyville

Hey Jill, could you share that link for the free Kindle book?

JillW likes this.
  6. JillW

JillW I love lavend ... zzzzzz ...

NancyBeck likes this.
  7. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Carbs are not your friend. DH and I have been doing keto for years, I think it is now 5???? He is a diabetic, had a heart attack and was doing so poorly health-wise. We were introduced to The Wheat Belly by our doctor, he is a friend of Dr. Davis who wrote the book. This lifestyle has saved our lives, literally. DH's lab numbers are now awesome, his triglycerides dropped 650 points (yes they were very high) all without drugs. Plus the loss of weight doesn't hurt either, between the 2 of us we lost over 80 lbs.

sparagus, busywoman139, JillW and 3 others like this.
  8. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

Another place to find information is www.dietdoctor.com There is quite a bit of information and a LOT more if you are a member (first month is free). I'm getting ready to go low carb, hi fat

busywoman139 likes this.
  9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I ate a low carb/paleo type diet for the last 4 yrs or so. I ended up binging eventually b/c I couldn't sustain such a low carb diet, I was on about 40 carbs/day. It made me feel good though and I lost a lot of overall weight and belly fat. I am eating more carbs now, trying to find my "sweet spot" of allowable carbs while losing weight. I don't eat white flour (I use gluten-free flours) and very little added sugar. I eat a lot of veggies (but little corn), cheese, some fruit, eggs, protein, extra fats, wild rice or brown rice once or twice a week and only eat potatoes a few times a week. I don't consume much milk and buy unsweetened almond milk and organic cream for coffee. The losing weight part is slow b/c menopause and thyroid disease have really messed with my metabolism but how I feel is really changed while following this. I have more energy, no more headaches, achy joints, brain fog or bloating/gas/bathroom issues. I've managed to lose the weight gained over Xmas already and now want to work on losing the extra I gained from falling off the low carb diet 1.5 years ago.

10. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I've done an ultra-low carb (Atkins kinda) diet now and then to drop a few pounds. I do find it effective for weightloss but I find that it really increases anxiety and insomnia.

11. Danyale

Danyale Always one step behind Waldo

I think Keto is a great way to start and get into the "groove" of healthy eating. In my nursing career, I asked a gabillion professionals and without a doubt, they all said the same thing. Follow the pyramid. Don't eat wasted calories - sugar, glucose converting carbs, etc. I think it is a no brainer but have a hard time telling my a** that when it rubs up against some chips. Smh

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  12. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

I recommend you watch the documentaries "Carb-Loaded" and "That Sugar Film"

Amson and Danyale like this.
  13. mcurtt

Another person to follow is Maria Emmerich, http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/. She is a tiny, little thing, we actually drove up to attend a session in her home. So much energy, such a giving person. She & her husband adopted a couple of boys from Ethiopia. We never met them, but definitely heard them playing in the basement when we were there. :-) She has tons of recipes on her site. You may have to do a search, but they are there. And if you sign up for her newsletter, she'll include recipes there as well.

I generally eat 30 carbs per day or less. I don't do gluten-free flours as they are generally quite high in carbs. I stick with almond flour, coconut flour, whey protein powder when I bake. I'm pretty strict, but occasionally I'll eat a small piece of fruit, a chunk of a potato, a tablespoon of rice... Over the holidays, I actually lost weight. :-)

14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My sister did keto under her doctor's supervision for about 6 months, then he moved her to a 1600 calorie/day diet.
    She lost weight, and is still losing now that she's introduced carbs back. The keto things she's learned has helped her focus more on fruits/vegetables in her 1600 calorie diet. Overall, it helped her stop eating junk food.

enjoyyourpix and Danyale like this.
  15. mommyish

mommyish Style Addict

I have PCOS which goes hand in hand with being highly insulin resistant. LCHF has done amazing things for my body. I finally have regular cycles. When I got "surprise" pregnant with my youngest after 10 years of infertility I was following LCHF. Currently I'm down 75 pounds. I still have a long way to go but I know for me and my family's history of diabetes this is no longer a diet, but rather a way of life for me.

busywoman139, JillW, Danyale and 2 others like this.
  16. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I've been doing LCHF since Halloween of 2016, I've lost 75lbs...coffee with flavored creamer is my kryptonite :( I have to be honest; once the seasonal lattes made their way back to Starbucks I had a daily, sometimes twice daily grande latte, NOT good!!! I did that in November and December, and while I didn't gain any weight back, I definitely didn't lose any! Also along with the holidays, I cheated with cookies...imagine having a 4lb tin of the Danish butter cookies in the house and staying away from them. I don't even like them! But because they were in the house and it was coming up on the year anniversary of my dad's passing, I couldn't stop myself...all willpower left the building!

I've tried using sugar substitutes but they all give me migraines...so fat bombs and other cheats don't work for me unless I want to be 100% miserable...which is why I still have a hard time giving up my flavored creamer...because lets be honest, heavy whipping cream in coffee just isn't the same!

Once you get in the groove and find meals you like don't have the carbs you will feel better and drop the weight.

busywoman139 likes this.
  17. mcurtt

@bbymks5 I do Bullet-proof tea every a.m. I live for it. I brew PG Tips (strong, black British tea), dollop in some coconut oil, a bit of red palm oil, a teaspoon of xylitol (doesn't give me headaches), a heaping teaspoon of collagen powder (nothing to do with LCHF, just good for me), a chunk of organic butter & I top it with heavy whipping cream. It is to die for. When I just drink plain tea, without the oils, it tastes flat, not rich. My DH just started putting in some XCT oil in his tea. He commented to me that it just tastes richer. Yes, and with all of the fat, I don't get hungry. LCHF is the way to go. I don't cheat, have no desire to. Actually, I can tell when I get wheated, I am sick the next day.

What sweeteners do you use? We've just tried a hot cocoa mix by Lakanto, it is sweetened with monk fruit. We really have enjoyed that. But my sweetener go-to's for baking are erythritol and chicory root. I save the xylitol for my tea. :-)

bbymks5 likes this.
  18. bbymks5

I will have to give the coconut oil and red palm oil a try! I have no idea where to find the red palm oil State side so I'll have to a bit of research :) is there anything specific to look for in it? I know what to look for with coconut oil...but red palm is a whole new world for me LOL

mcurtt likes this.
  19. mcurtt

bbymks5 likes this.
  20. bbymks5

mcurtt likes this.