Keeping Track of Styles

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 13, 2018.

1. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

A tip for those of you cleaning up your styles or just starting to use them--after you get everything loaded and organized as you wish, use the preset manager to make it easy to reload them all in one step. (Go to the preset manager, select them all, click save set, and then save like you do all other files.) That way if your computer crashes or you get a new one, you can reinstall the entire set in one click. If any of your styles require matching brushes to be installed, do the same to save your set of brushes.

stamdl99, amien1 and bestcee like this.
  2. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

This is really interesting because I load all of my styles. I use them so much I can't imagine having to load individually but now I'm wondering if they are dragging down my photoshop. Hmmm

3. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I have zillions of styles & do notice a slow down if I have too many loaded into CC. I keep the main ones I use on every layout loaded always, then add as needed. I always have a few shadow sets I use, a few that I've made myself & a few of mommyish's styles that are must haves. I use a distressing/halftone style on my journaling always, a few vellum styles & a few embossing styles. I use the preset manager to add/delete as previous poster has mentioned. I keep all my styles in a folder, so it's easy to navigate. Also- to load, I just drag & drop into the styles panel in CC & it loads for you... saves a few clicks of the mouse! :)

4. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

My only reason for not loading all of them at once is because I have tons where I am not sure of the difference.

For instance, mommyish has several different wood/burn styles available. My untrained eye cannot tell the difference, so I'm not sure why I got more than one in the first place, but I certainly don't need several loaded.

As for keeping them organized, I know almost all my styles are mommyish's, so I just look in her folder at the previews, load the one I want, then proceed.

I should learn to use them more often... And I probably should just load them all.... start figuring out the difference so I can allow more purchases. :giggle

Angela Toucan likes this.
  5. zanthia

zanthia CT - Kate Hadfield

i have to install styles to use them which is why i never use them - too much of a pain. it is very rare when a designer will include the styles as a psd file so oyu can just copy and paste them.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Are you on an older PSE version than 10? I know with 11 on up, and Photoshop CC styles are easy to install - at least to me. But I also had PSE10 - and styles were rotten to install!

7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I also have a lot loaded but as I go in waves of what I want to use, there are some that can be 'unloaded' from my PSE15. I have all of Mommyish's styles in one Styles Folder under her name (ditto Actions) and I put the Preview on top of the folder with a free app called Image2Icon. Therefore all my product folders have the preview as what I see when I search on my computer. They are auto sorted by name too.

Pick your style (the black .asl file)and it's a one click installation. Couldn't be easier!

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 8.43.04 PM.png

8. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Thinking having a preview folder will be the way to go

bestcee likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@rach3975

I'm trying to get my computer as clean and organized as possible before the arrival of my new one. This is the kind of organization I want to have done before I switch machines.

I'm in PSE15 on a Mac and while I have a zillion styles loaded IN PSE - and only half of the Mommyish ones I have, they do not show up in the Styles Preset Manager when I look right in PSE. The only ones shown there are the default shadows. However in my Applications, PSE15, Presets, Styles there are some but not all including ones not or no longer installed. I'm at a loss as to how to make that master file of what I mostly use as you say.

10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Rachel was talking about Photoshop Maureen... you cannot save styles as a set in PSE as you cannot save new styles in PSE. PSE15 only shows you a list of what you have loaded. I suggest you have all your styles in one folder on your Mac and know where it is and load the styles as you use them. I just clicked on the dropdown for the list.... (The Christa styles that are listed are ones I made in PS and loaded into PSE15.

upload_2018-10-24_15-38-55.png

11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

This reminds me ... I bought a bunch of styles during DSD that I have to get organized!
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  12. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Kisses!!! Love you Bart.