Keeping Track of Styles

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 13, 2018.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Im just loading my styles into Photoshop Elements but quickly realising that its probably going to slow my machine down too much as I have got tons of styles now so I have two questions

I am the kind of person that unless they are easy to see won't use them (apart from shadow styles)

How do you keep track of the styles you do have?
    How do you decide what styles to keep loaded all the time?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

If they are styles where I have a preview of the styles I load the whole folder into my regular supplies folder and tag them. That way they come up in a search easily.
    I only have a few loaded, like the ones for the pin exchange, a few ones I want to use for scrapping regularly (shadows and such). Everything else just gets loaded as needed.

3. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I have mine in a CU folder, because most of mine are CU and I was designing things. Now that I'm back to scrapping I like the idea of putting them in my PU stores > designer's folders. So I can "see" them more often. Because I don't use them enough when scrapping....

I don't load ANY of them, because they do slow down your PC. So I just open them when I need them.

4. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Question -- how do you use styles if you don't "load" them? I use Photoshop CC

5. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

You do have to load them in order to use them. I think Kiana is saying that she "loads/unloads" the styles as she needs them. She can correct me if I misunderstood. ;)

6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I have an Extras excel spreadsheet where I list things like styles and actions. I also have a Preview folder where I keep a copy of my "extras" previews, so I can quickly scan my style previews to see what I have. I can use the Search tool to find STYLES, which then shows me all of my styles, so I don't have to look through ALL of my previews.

Oh, and I organize all of my Styles in one folder, so I can also search there, if I know the name of the style I want.

I only keep Mommyish's enamel pin maker styles/actions loaded and only a few others. TBH, I should go through and get rid of the styles that come pre-loaded on PS CC as I don't use them.

7. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Interesting----I never buy styles as I have NO idea how to store them, upload them, unload them, use them, etc. I wish I was more tech savvy!!!

bestcee likes this.
  8. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Yes exactly. I "load" them ONLY when I use them. What I should have said, is I don't INSTALL them to my PC. Because then they bog down the resources I use for PS and other applications/software.

londoncuppa likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

They are super easy to use, well, depending on your program!
    Which one are you using?

10. bestcee

Okay, after going in to buy a few of the $1 deals and getting that "You already bought this message" and thinking: What? I did? I needed this thread!

Here's a thought I have. I think I'm going to make a document, and use an alpha and element and apply the styles to it. Like Aey and a flower. I can label the style, and just pick the style that best represents the pack. Maybe add the store blurb to it? Save as a jpeg, and I can "Preview" my styles easily. I used to do that with stamp sets, and fonts (Way back in my paper scrap days!).
    But now you guys are giving me other thoughts.

As far as loading, I have a tendency to just load a bunch, and when it gets hard to see what's in there, I will go in and delete everything but my shadows.

Amson, LoveItScrapIt and Rikki like this.
  11. Jems

Jems Well-Known Member

I bought some this weekend I’m sure I saw tutorials on how to use them somewhere ... I just need to find it :).

bestcee likes this.
  12. bestcee

Did you buy the Basics bundle? It comes with a link to a Youtube video.
    If not, you totally should. LOL. It's a great deal!
    [​IMG]

13. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

@bestcee I am using PSE 11 right now. I uploaded 15 well over a year ago but just have not had the gumption to try and learn it. I am so use to 11. One of these days I'll play around with 15.

14. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Can we of you "style experts" explain how you may use them? I have some and played a little but don't use them much.

15. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

PSE 11 and above are pretty straight forward. I was showing a bunch of people how to load and use styles in PSE last night at digi night out. Mostly we were talking about Cheryl’s Fiddle-dee-dee Shadows dressed up and Mommyish’s MOC dollar deals and new just the basics style pack.
    Here’s the thread on the dollar deals.
    https://the-lilypad.com/forum/threads/daily-1-deals-for-moc-2018-by-mommyish.51688/

Watching the videos Leah has in that thread and in her Mommyish YouTube channel will give you tons of ideas on using styles. They can really help you stretch your stash.

Just Jaimee has some great styles too.

This weekend is a great time to buy some styles with the 30% PU and 50% CU sale going on.

16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am wary of loading them all as well, I use PSE 13 and have some loaded that I wish I could delete, but I don't know how to unless I reset them styles to factory settings and then load again? Any help would be appreciated.

17. bestcee

Ok, I'm not sure if PSE13 is the same as 14 in this regard.
    Go to the Styles Panel. Use the little Menu icon in the corner (Also called a Hamburger Icon). Choose "Preset Manager". Click on the "More" arrow, and you can choose a set to load. Once you load the set, you can choose "Delete Set".
    Does that help?
    Layer Panel Delete.PNG

18. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I have a folder for styles. If a kit or collab comes with styles, I leave a preview with the kit and then put the entire style folder into my Styles and Actions folder. That way if I'm working with a kit I will remember I have matching styles, but the styles are accessible for the way I really use them, which is to browse for an effect I like while I'm working on a layout made with any kit.

I'm trying an experiment right now, keeping a bunch of styles loaded to see if I use them more. TBH I haven't noticed speed being a factor yet, but we'll see if that changes. If I do need to load and unload selectively, the ones I'll keep loaded are the most practical/basic ones that go with everything. For example, I have one from Mommyish that can make glitter of any color. It makes more sense to keep that loaded than the glitter styles that match individual kits. Everyone's must-haves will be different, but I'll probably keep one set for glitter, one for wood, one for epoxy or plastic, and one for stamped/distressed effect. (Shadows, too, of course!) I most often use styles on my titles, and those are the ones I find myself using the most for titlework.

Rikki and bestcee like this.
  19. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Thanks @bestcee for some reason I haven't thought of using the preset manager. I did manage to delete some unused styles now so my effects are looking better. Will try the preset manager for sure.

bestcee likes this.
  20. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

Never be frightened to delete anything from Preset manager as it does not delete the style from the computer ( if you still have the file you downloaded on your computer ) it only deletes them from the program you are using.

littlekiwi, bestcee and StefanieS like this.