Keeping track of stories to tell

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by klee73010, Jan 16, 2018.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Does anyone use Trello for keeping track of their stories?

I've seen Cheryl's and Karen's spreadsheets. I've heard of Kimberlee's PL notebook. I, myself, have lists and lists in emails, Evernote, and pieces of random papers.

I've heard Trello can be super awesome, and that there's a class you can take with Steph Clay, but I'm curious to know how you keep track of stories you need to tell? I currently have folders for some page ideas, but it is sort of time consuming to set those up for each page idea I have. I end up just sort of using it as a list. I do typically work from lists, so I suppose Trello may work for me.

I tried searching our forums for where we've discussed some of these options in the past but couldn't find those. Must not be using the right phrases.

2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

No, but I use Google Keep (Android User). Especially when I'm out and about. I like that I can add from my computer as well as my phone and they sync. So, I can add the exact words on the go, and then add in all the details when I sit at the computer. I hate typing on a little screen. Yeah, I use text to type sometimes but I'm faster on the keyboard.
    In Google Keep I color code stories blue, and give them a tag: Scrap Page. I like that I can archive or delete notes. Plus, I can enter either as a checklist, or a note. I liken it to a bunch of post it notes organized digitally with tags. And I can add a reminder to the note. So, if I jot down a story for PL, I can add a reminder for Sunday evening - when I usually document PL.

Mylinn likes this.
  3. bestcee

Oh, I do use a regular notebook for when I'm going through a class and story ideas come to me, but those are usually from the past. Google Keep is definitely my "Current Stories".

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Kristina... apparently I've talked about my spreadsheet a lot! :giggle If you want to see some of the old thread, just type "spreadsheet" into the search and then search by my member name. I just did that and a bunch of old threads popped up. :)

I haven't heard of Trello... might have to check it out!

klee73010 and bestcee like this.
  5. klee73010

Spreadsheet is a word I hadn't searched, for some reason @Karen :giggle I totally should have!

@bestcee I find the same convenience with Evernote, and for the same reasons. I love Evernote search features, and trello and evernote will work together through ifttt, if I put effort into setting up some recipes. I love Evernote for the copy/paste option, both in computer scrapping and app scrapping. Current and old stories!

6. bestcee

So, if you love evernote why are you looking at Trello? What features draw you there?

7. klee73010

I like the idea of project management from Trello, I think. Having the list in Trello of pages to scrap, being able to move them to the "done" column. The way that I currently note things in Evernote does not easily translate to just moving a note to a completed notebook. I could just start creating new notes, I suppose, instead of a new app or location. I'm not sure. I thought Trello helped you streamline things by using a different project management approach, but perhaps my brain is too muddled to see it clearly, and just change what I already have? I'm not sure.

8. bestcee

I know nothing about Evernote. I had an account issue with them that never solved, so I walked away.
    I only asked because I find the more places I have to look for stuff, and the more apps involved, the more complicated the system becomes. And, having had apps close down, the less likely I am to make a new one when it fails.

For example, I was emailing an online journal (ohlife). I loved it. It emailed me daily so I could search my email for the stories, and be reminded of what I had written previous time periods. It shut down, I got out of the habit. I have a new service that does something similar, but I haven't gotten back in the habit. Know what I mean?

klee73010 likes this.
  9. klee73010

Yes. But I've found the spreadsheet option doesn't work for me because I can't access on anywhere but one location. I like having everything in Evernote, and I do use that. I thought with Evernote and Trello working together I may be able to come up with a more efficient workflow, but now I'm not sure, because it is JUST like me to over complicate things by adding apps and whatever. Ha.
    I also don't like the folders option unless I'm set on a specific album. It's easy enough to set them up when I know exactly the time frame and what's left to scrap. I like it for power scrapping/completing albums, but only if I am close to being done. Too much work for long projects that aren't close enough too completion. Blah blah blah.... Kristina's complications, blah blah blah

10. ElizabethW

ElizabethW Pledging to lambda lambda polly

@klee73010, I'd never heard of Trello until this post! Just spent lunch playing around with it! I think I may give it a go for project management. I've been using a combination of a notebook and "collections" in Lightroom, but I often combine a pocket page to a "regular" page so as to include more photos. Now that I am doing MOC, I've been thinking that I need to make a list of all the companion pages I'll need to do for the pages I've created for our family album, various trip albums, etc. I'm thinking separate boards for different albums/books?

klee73010 likes this.
  11. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I just keep a 'scrapped' folder inside my monthly photo folders so I know what still needs to be scrapped & what doesn't. I dont keep any sort of 'list.' As far as remembering the 'story'- most times I'll look back at that day on fb or instagram & if it was important or funny- I posted it! :) I don't need ANY more 'things' to manage at this point! ;)

klee73010 likes this.
  12. klee73010

I definitely should have doing this "Scrapped" folder this whole time. :giggle

amien1 likes this.
  13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm easy-going and don't feel I need to scrap a certain amount because any amount is better than none. I just scrap as much as I can (usually every Sunday) and I've felt I've covered a sufficient amount of my life when I print my thick annual album.

I have tried out Trello after I heard about it from a YouTube video a few months ago. But my purpose was for grocery lists, books I want to read, etc. I didn't love it, though I can't say I gave it enough chance. My Apple reminder app is sufficient for now, and I'm slow at transitions.

For instance, I started using DayOne over TWO years ago and I'm still not using it as fully as I'd like. However, I'm gradually coming to really love it. And it's perfect for memory keepers like us. It attaches GPS and other data to every entry and can include photos. It's for both iPhone and desktop. (Not sure about android.) It supports multiple journals so you can be super organized if you want. It gets very high reviews. Definitely worth checking out.

I'm a long time Evernote user -- since around 2008 -- but have never been regular about it. Mostly it's a mess of websites I wanted to save for future reference, slightly organized. I tried using it as a journal, but I didn't like something about how it worked. I do love how easy it is to photograph something with my phone and make an note about it in Evernote. I keep thinking it will be a fantastic way to organize all my thoughts and things I want to remember if I ever get into a habit of using it regularly, especially because it works for all kinds of devices and is very well established.

Good luck with your search!

klee73010 likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

15. Jems

Jems Well-Known Member

I’m guessing this is a better solution than sticky notes and scrap papers that I am always losing. I’m going to have to check it out

klee73010 and bestcee like this.
  16. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Oh man, I don't keep track at all. Now you're making me feel like I need to do this so I won't forget anything... I'm just doing good trying to get my albums made!

MrsGaramer likes this.
  17. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I wish I had something something like "evernote" or something when the grandbabies were younger and we were out doing something. I look back now at some photos and can remember some of the stories but not all.

bestcee likes this.
  18. bestcee

This is why I keep track of some stories! I don't do all, @QuiltyMom . And truth be told, sometimes the store is just added into Lightroom metadata when I upload photos.
    But I hate when I look at a photo, know there is a reason I took it, but can't remember.

19. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Okay, so I went and checked out @gonewiththewind Cheryl's sheet and I am completely HOOKED on that organization system in Excel. Being visual and OCD, this is right up my alley.

Now, can someone tell me what Evernote is? Generally, I just use the "notes" app in my phone to write down random little things, usually when we are on vacation. But, I love having those little quotes and moments to include with ALL my pages and want to get better about memory keeping and storytelling beyond the pictures... and I'm not sure that the "notes" app is really the best for that.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  20. klee73010

Evernote is essentially a notes app. It is available on multiple platforms, and syncs across them (cloud based). The search capabilities boast it will search text and images. You can add metadata and tags (though truly unnecessary if you just type out keywords you might search). I use it as a notebook of paper.... pages and pages of lists and writing. I don't have to categorize too much because Evernote will find things for me by using a search. I especially love using it to make a note of journaling for a scrapbook page. I will type up my journaling on my phone in the app, then access that journaling later, on the desktop computer when I scrap the page. I love copy and paste.... and quite frankly, I rely on autocorrect for spelling and grammar a lot of the time (Photoshop Elements doesn't give me autocorrect the way Evernote does, or Microsoft word would.)

Hope that helps!

GlazeFamily3 likes this.