June Friendly Back Up Reminder

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by bestcee, Jun 1, 2018.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

For sure!!! Thank you for the reminder!

2. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder. I have been using Crashplan so I have to make a change soon. This past weekend, I downloaded the trial version of Backblaze and it seems to be working so I'm very happy about that! I have a question that maybe you @bestcee can help me with (or any of the other Backblaze users here). I work on my laptop so I don't usually have my external hard drives plugged in unless I need them. I read somewhere on the Backblaze website that my external hard drives needs to plugged in once every 30 days in order to keep them backed up. Any suggestions on how you handle this? Are your external hard drives plugged in at least every 30 days or do you set a schedule to make sure you plug them in? I'm terrified that I'll forget and then lose that part of my backup. Thanks for your help!

3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I only have 1 EHD that is on the Backblaze backup. It is plugged in all the time. That EHD is a copy of what I feel are my most important folders on the desktop. So in essence I am backing up that information twice to Backblaze. My other EHD's are copies of that EHD backup. I even went so far as to buy another EHD that I run the backup program supplied with it on twice a week. It is always plugged in as well.

When it comes down to it, I have 1 cloud backup, 1 EHD backup and several EHD copies of my important information. I would hope that I would be covered!

When I had an EHD go bad that was on my Backblaze backup, I got an email that it had not been on the backup for how ever many days it was. I think you can set those notifications for what works for you.

Again, this is what works for me. Your mileage may vary :)

bbachand likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Like Rene said, I have Backblaze set up to email me when it hasn't backed up every 7 days. So, 7, 14, 21, and 28. When I get the 14 day email, I usually go okay and forget about it. :rolleyes: When I get the 21 day email, I try to plug it in that week. If I get the 28 day email, I plug it in that day, so I don't forget!
    I work on a desktop now, so it's easy to plug in. When I worked on a laptop, my process was this:
    I kept the EHD in the same spot, near a plug where the laptop could sit. When I got the 21 day email, I would make a mental note to plug it in that week. I tend to be forgetful, so that was what worked best. If I was more on top of it, I would have plugged it in every 3-4 weeks on the same day.

bbachand likes this.
  5. bestcee

Oh, and when I plugged in my EHD, I also updated my photos and such to it. That way it was never more than a month off.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  6. bestcee

Um...Nope. Sorry! Google photos only has my phone photos on it. And since it does those automatically.....:rolleyes:

krscraps likes this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

When you say you check to make sure Backblaze is working what exactly do you check? I mean, do you trust that when you click on Backblaze Preferences and it says, "You are backed up as of Today 11:50 AM" (as mine says right now) that it is working fine, or do you go to the web site and do some spot checking, or what? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I get emails from Backblaze -- daily or every few days, I forget how often -- that tell me I'm backed up too (or it might say 23,375,602 of 23,375,650 files are backed up. (I made up those numbers. :D

But I'm not aware of emails warning that an EHD drive has been unplugged. Maybe because I work on a desktop and my EHD are always plugged in. Are those emails automatic or did you have switch a setting somewhere?

bestcee likes this.
  8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

@michelepixels As long as whatever EHD you have selected on your Settings screen is plugged in, you will not get an email. But if the EHD cannot be read by Backblaze because it has failed or is unplugged, you will get an email at whatever # of days you have selected on the setting screen. I have chosen the 7 day setting so I get a weekly email on Fridays about the state of my backup.

My EHD failed and I didn't know it until I got the email from Backblaze. First I checked to make sure it was plugged in and went through all the steps of unplugging, plugging back in and even rebooting the computer but it never showed up for me under My Computer. (Even tried it on the laptop and still didn't work so I knew it was dead). So I had to go into settings and take it off. That is also when I realized that another EHD I was using as the main copy of my important stuff was not being backed up. Set that one up and now I'm good.

bestcee and michelepixels like this.
  9. bestcee

My check involves going to the website and restoring some files. I always pick some that are stored in different places, and a few photos. And I'll spot check folder names to make sure they are being backed up.

I had an experience with another backup service that showed it was backing up, but when I checked it wasn't.

Oh, and I also pay attention to that # of files/size email. I figure if it changes drastically something is wrong.

Does that help Michele? @michelepixels

michelepixels likes this.
  10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

gosh, I still haven’t done my monthly check or backed up what’s on the end that I found before I went away.....must do that today

bestcee likes this.