June Friendly Back Up Reminder

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by bestcee, Jun 1, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

It's the first of the month. So, here's a reminder to check your backup and make sure it's working. Don't have a backup? It's a good time to think about it and set one up!

i just found out my backup external drive is dead. But no big deal, because it was backed up! Nothing lost except the time to transfer files.

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Thanks for the reminder....must do it before I go away next week

bestcee likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh no, Courtney! That's one of my biggest photo fears. Mine isn't backed up. All of my pictures are triple backed up, it's just a question of finding them. I have hundreds of CD's (post EHD's).

bestcee likes this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Backblaze is currently backing up my 4 newest files.
    And only the photos I've taken today aren't uploaded to Smugmug.

--Long time obsessive back-upper :D

edited to add: Actually, I also have a few scrapbook layouts to upload to Smugmug. I do it separately and always forget for weeks. Perhaps I'll get to that today.

bestcee likes this.
  5. bestcee

Yep! Me too! I had one CD drive corrupt in 2004 and lose my photos, and since then I've been obsessive about backing up and redundancy!

michelepixels and Tree City like this.
  6. bestcee

Any reason why?
    I mean, I love the peace of mind that one of my copies is offsite. But, the drive that died is actually my 2nd ehd at home that I use as backup. Technically, I keep 2 copies on 2 different drives at home. One that's portable for the laptop, and one on my desktop.

7. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

And I'd like to point out how important the "redundancy" in your post is, Courtney, because people seem to forget that backing up to one place (EHD or the Cloud) but then deleting the file from your computer means that your backup file is now your only copy.

Anyway, I'm sorry your backup EHD is dead. :( but I know you're set with a backup of your backup! Hopefully you can get a new one set up quickly!

bestcee likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Thanks for the reminder! I need to make sure Backblaze is doing what I've told it to do. LOL

bestcee likes this.
  9. Cherylndesigns

My EHD isn't backed up. Everything that's on there is backed up to other things, like CD's, etc. Everything I do is automatically backed up to Flicker, Google Pics, and iCloud. It's just the physical EHD that isn't backed up.

bestcee likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Backblaze is doing its job. EHD Backup did its job this morning (set for Tues and Fri mornings). I also copy all my digi files from my C drive to another EHD. It was current as of Tuesday night. Took a lot of photos today and may take more tomorrow and Sunday so I'll do that again on Sunday night after I have transferred phone photos from dropbox to my digi files on my C drive. Photos taken today have been transferred from camera to computer and uploaded to a dropbox shared folder since they were for someone else so they have been backupped :)

bestcee likes this.
  11. Cherylndesigns

I need to look into Backblaze, or something like that. I know that I have everything backed up, so I haven't wanted to spend extra money to back up my EHD. I buy extra gigs on iCloud every month, so my pictures are all automatically backed up there + on Flickr and 2 Google accounts.

12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Just remember that there is more information than the digi stuff that should be backed up. My backblaze and the EHD backup include documents... financial spreadsheets, various bank statements, investment statements and many other documents that I don't want to lose. Then the digi stuff is just copied to the other EHD. I do believe that one of my backups also includes any program downloads that I have. That is how I can still use Picasa on a computer that I got after it was discontinued.

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  13. bestcee

If everything on it is somewhere else, that can be downloaded from, then it's backed up to me! You have somewhere else that you can get the files.

14. bestcee

Yes to this! It's what I love about Backblaze - It backs up all my files including school papers!

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  15. bestcee

I like Backblaze because it's cheap. We only backup 1 computer, because the others don't have anything that the main one doesn't have. (That was a bad sentence!). And since that includes all EHD's, it's $5/month. I actually paid for the year at a time, so it worked out to slightly less than $5.
    I like Backblaze because it works. I've had to restore files, and I know Cheryl has had to restore her entire hard drive. No issues. I tried another service that was recommended, and when I went to restore it turned out it wasn't backing up.
    I like Backblaze because it's easy. Pretty much set it and forget it. Now, caveat, I fully believe you should check and back sure that your backup service is actually backing up what you think it is. Especially after my experience with the other service!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

I downloaded Backblaze last night. It's downloading all of my files right now. I'm not sure how to back up my EHD's, but I guess I'll figure that out after it's done with my computer. It said that it might take several days to back everything up. Hopefully, they'll let me know when that's done. And yes, the price is great - I figured it was like some of the others, that are pretty pricey.

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

That I can help with! With your EHD's plugged in, you click on settings, then you can see the top window. Just check with drives you want backed up.

I totally let it do my computer first, then added the EHD's after. The initial backup does take time, but it might go faster depending on your internet speed.
    Capture.PNG

18. Cherylndesigns

Thank you SO much Courtney! I'm glad I'm doing it right. I decided to do my laptop first - glad I made the right decision. I'll keep this info you posted for me. :)

bestcee likes this.
  19. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Backblaze is being dumb for me. I have to call them .

I have backed up to a ehd too. I need to get Google photos up and running. Any tips?

20. KellyM

KellyM Kickin' cancer's butt!

Great reminder!!! THX!:bk