July Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'July 2016 Challenges' started by mrs2a50, Jun 27, 2016.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Happy July, friends! Hard to believe we're more than half way through 2016 - seems like we were just fully immersed in our MOC festivities, and before you know it, we'll be gearing up and starting all over again! Craziness! But let's get back to July, shall we? So, I've become just a little bit obsessed lately with photo processing, and all the amazing things that can be done with Lightroom, Photoshop and all of the various presets and actions that are out there. It has freed me up to capture the shot without worrying about getting a perfect out-of-the-camera photo, and simply getting a photo I might otherwise have missed. So your challenge this month is to play with processing - alter your photo in some way to improve or change it. It could be as simple as running filter to create an embossed or texturized effect, or change a color photo to black and white. You can edit the photo with filters on your phone if you want. Or, you can manually process your photo in Lightroom or an equivalent program to get the effect you want. It's totally up to you! I would love to see your original photo as well, so please post that along with your new page!

This is one of my favorite pictures of Aspen. I absolutely love the expression in her eyes. And frankly, I think its a pretty decent photo straight out of the camera.

[​IMG]

But for this page, I wanted to really focus on her eyes, so I did a bunch of manual processing in Lightroom - I adjusted the overall exposure and bumped up the contrast quite a bit, and then I did some spot adjustments to her eyes and the area around her nose to try and really make her eyes pop. And here's the finished result:

[​IMG]

REMEMBER: You do not need to edit your photo in Lightroom or Photoshop, or with pre-purchased actions. You can use the filters on your phone if that's your preference. But, if you like the idea of understanding Lightroom and being able to control your processing, but you're either new and don't know where to start, or you've had Lightroom for a while but haven't had a chance to really dig into it and play, we have a fun surprise! Starting July 7, our very own Cheryl (aka gonewiththewind) is going to host a series of chats on tips and tricks using Lightroom. July 7 will focus on the beginner Lightroom user, so this is a perfect opportunity to kick start your Lightroom use! So stay tuned for more information on this!

Please remember the monthly challenge rules: Your page must contain at least 75% Lilypad product. Your page should be posted to the Lilypad Gallery and then linked to the Challenge Layouts thread so it can be tracked, and to this thread.

The Lilypad uses a percent system for our challenges; the number of challenges you participate in determines the store discount you will receive at the end of the month:

2 challenges = 10% off
    4 challenges = 20% off
    6 challenges = 30% off

If you complete 7 challenges, you will receive a coupon for 30% off, plus you will be entered to win a guest spot on the Lilypad Creative Team! The first seven challenges will be posted on the first of the month; the eighth challenge is the BYOC challenge, which is posted on BYOC release day. Each page counts for one challenge (you cannot use one layout for multiple challenges).

Now, show me how you like to adjust your photos!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Brendazzle, angiekey, berniek and 5 others like this.
  2. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

[​IMG]

The original photo is too dark, has a lot of noise, and poor white balance so I fixed all that. I also took the saturation down a bit to make it softer and added a post-crop vignette.
    Capture.PNG

Brendazzle likes this.
  3. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

very fun challenge

4. silent ranks

silent ranks Don't forget to turn back around

5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    I used an action Ice Cream Shoppe - Cherry on Top (retired) by Charmbox Studios which makes the colours pop and the details of the pincushion more defined.

[​IMG]

ljonezy and Brendazzle like this.
  6. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I radlabbed (is that a verb) my photo.

[​IMG]

DSC_5046.jpg

jk703, Brendazzle and Vrielinkie like this.
  7. scrapfor5

scrapfor5 Member

Here is my page.

[​IMG]

And here is the original. My phone takes crappy pictures so you'll have to forgive it. lol.

Attached Files:

Brendazzle likes this.
  8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

[​IMG]
    done on iPhone,.transfer filter orig photo

[​IMG]

ljonezy and Brendazzle like this.
  9. mimisgirl

mimisgirl It's all about ME!

I converted mine to b&w and then blended it into the papers beneath

[​IMG]

Vrielinkie likes this.
  10. julia

julia julia

11. zinzilah

zinzilah One step at a time

Since the task was to improve on the photograph by post production, I picked one that needed improving being tiny and not very bright... I might have brightened it up too much though, I don't know. I was after those baby blues, that my dd had back then.
    Here is original
    [​IMG]
    and here is a page
    [​IMG]

12. Megan H

Megan H Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here is the original:
    upload_2016-7-3_12-18-4.png

Attached Files:

13. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

Here is my page- used a few actions in lightroom, finished up with a sunset light and used the pink paper for the color for a pink tint to the image:
    [​IMG]

Here is the original shot (taken with an iPhone 4, shot in summer 2012)
    iPhone-1167.JPG

Brendazzle likes this.
  14. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

will use this one for byoc be back later with another!

15. dvhoward

dvhoward Don't bother me before 10am!

My Layout:

[​IMG]

I used RadLab on the photo: Lights On, Oh Snap, Warm It Up Kris, Sugar Rush, Clarigy 75%.

Ewan with dog art.jpg

Brendazzle likes this.
  16. Brendazzle

Brendazzle Shooting on the Serengeti

[​IMG]

I save over my SOOC shots as I edit so I can't show a clear before-and-after. but it's kind of obvious on the photo of the sandhill cranes that the sidewalks don't look nearly that nice IRL. (the blue sky, however, was really that blue. South Florida is GORGEOUS!)

17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

My original shot.
    14_wk_12_Itay_trip_-_124.jpg

Then I modified it with the iPhone app Waterlogue.

IMG_7404 (1).jpg

Then you have the layout where I blended the two shots.

[​IMG]

mrs2a50, MariSt and Brendazzle like this.
  18. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

Here's mine. I edited my pictures in Lightroom, sliding the scales for clarity, vibrance, contrast, shadows.
    [​IMG]

Brendazzle likes this.
  19. MariSt

MariSt Well-Known Member

A snapchat filter was used for this picture! I sent this to my mom and she thought we were wearing costumes!
    [​IMG]

bjc likes this.
  20. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

this is the original photo: I fixed my Boo's eyes, and then lighting with curves, contrast and a few color blend layers
    002.JPG
    my page
    [​IMG]

angiekey likes this.