January 25: Photo Treatment/Technique: Artistic sketch (Photography challenge)

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by FarrahJobling, Jan 25, 2017.

1. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Hello MOCers! If you've been around for any of the previous MOC years, I just KNOW that you've been waiting for this! Some of you will LOVE my challenge and some will absolutely HATE it, but in the spirit of "challenge" please give it a try! I know it's one of the harder ones, but you might learn a new technique.

This is a photography challenge. You must include an artistic sketch of a photo in your project. You do not need to take a new photo if you have an existing photo that matches the requirements for this challenge.

I know that there are many ways to use filters or even extensions and stand alone programs to create an artistic sketch of your photo. You do not need to use my method if you already have your own. If you don't know how to make an artistic sketch, here is one method:

1- Choose a photo. Really, any photo will work, but keep in mind that images with higher contrast will be easier to work with. I've chosen this photo of Cinderella's Castle at Disney World. Portraits also work nicely, so don't be afraid to play around with different types of photos.

[​IMG]Cinderella-castle by farrahj, on Flickr

2- Duplicate your photo and turn it to black and white. Go to Layer > Duplicate layer or use the shortcut CMD+J to create a duplicate of the layer. Then go to Image > Adjustments > Desaturate.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.14.01 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.16.10 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

3- Duplicate your black and white layer and invert it. Make sure you are on the BW layer and go to Layer > Duplicate layer (or CMD+J) to create a duplicate of the layer. Then, go to Image > Adjustments > Invert (or CMD+I)

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.18.29 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.18.45 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

4- Change the blending mode on the inverted BW layer to Color Dodge. Make sure you are on the inverted BW layer and change the blending mode from Normal to Color Dodge. You may not see anything at all, but a completely white layer, or perhaps a few marks here and there. DON'T PANIC!

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.21.34 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.22.45 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

5- Using the minimum filter, create a sketch. Make sure you are on the same inverted BW layer that you changed to Color Dodge and go to Filter > Othere > Minimum. A new box will open and change the radius to something between 3-6. Play around with the numbers to create the desired effect. You will now have the BW sketch of your photo.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.23.52 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.25.25 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

6- Duplicate your original color photo layer and drag it to the top of the layers pallet. Make sure you are on the very bottom layer and go to Layer > Duplicate layer (or CMD+J) to create a duplicate of the layer. Then drag that layer to the top.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.28.14 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.28.26 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

7- Change the blending mode on the top color photo layer to Color Burn and create a layer mask.
    Make sure you are on the very top layer and change the blending mode from Normal to Color Burn. Next, go to Layer > layer mask -> Hide all.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.30.57 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.31.10 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

8- Add back some of the color.
    Make sure you are on the layer mask and using a large WHITE brush, add some color back to your sketch. You may choose to lower the opacity of the color layer.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.32.58 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

9- Add some more color for an extra artistic feel (optional). You may want to add some more color. Create a blank layer and use any color you'd like. You will need to change the blending mode from Normal to Color Burn and perhaps lower the opacity. You can repeat this process as much as you'd like. I added a tiny bit of pink.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.35.24 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.35.32 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 1.47.30 PM by farrahj, on Flickr

10- Create a layout. Flatten your image and use it in a layout. Feel free to add anything you'd like to your layout.

11- Have FUN! I know it isn't the easiest challenge, but have fun with it and play around with different types of photos.

Here is my final layout:
    [​IMG]11.02.2014-Dining-with-Royalty by farrahj, on Flickr

I used the same technique on this LO:
    [​IMG]

For non- PS users, please refer to the links below
    PSE - Pretty much the same as PS, with minor differences

GIMP
    OTHER - Here is a great online resource that will turn your photo into a sketch (among other techniques)

***IMPORTANT***

Requirements:
    1. You must include an artistic sketch of a photo in your project

Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page should be uploaded to the TLP Gallery and not an outside hosting site. Please post your page in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean. You should also post your page here in this thread, and people can comment here if they wish. Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store). All MOC pages must be posted in your main MOC page thread by 11:59 pm eastern time on February 2 in order to count!

lvancura, norton94, Ga_L and 11 others like this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

Your directions are so clear and concise. I am excited! Thank you Farrah for making learning fun!

bjthomas and cfile like this.
  3. Frumpje

Frumpje Summer is made for memories

wow! Love to learn new things! Now to find the perfect picture.

AnneofAlamo likes this.
  4. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

Anyone know how to do this in Artisan 4?

If not, I'll have to try this in Gimp. Oh my!!

Now this is way outside of my comfort zone!! Your page is beautiful, Farrah!! I'm nervous... :huh

5. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

OOOH fun! Thank you for the great instructions! I will be printing them and using them again!

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I agree.. looking forward to playing.. I am thinking the Edinburgh Scotland Grassmarket might be the way I go.. Off to look in my stash! I love your tutorials Farrah. I enjoyed playing!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    bjc, Juliestcyr, flowersgal and 4 others like this.
  7. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I use PSE and didn't have all of the same options, but found this tutorial that worked for me.

cinna likes this.
  8. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

I've never done this technique before, so I can't wait to try it! I can't scrap now since I'm at work, but I can be thinking of what photo I want to use. Your instructions make it look easy! Thank you!

9. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

Thank you, Stefanie! I use PSE, too.

10. merank

merank Working my way through scrumdiddlyumptious bars

This looks like fun and your step-by-step directions make it look easy. I think the hardest part will be finding a photo to use.

11. andersm

andersm You can check out anytime you like ...

Oh, Farrah! Thanks for teaching us new techniques! This is one of the best parts of the MOC, in my opinion. :) And your tutorial is fabulous!

12. AlannaH

AlannaH Well-Known Member

Fun!! I use Artisan, so I will have to find a work around for this one!

13. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

Would using a filter in an app like Prisma be acceptable?

Sokee and Firstoscartgrouch like this.
  14. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

Whatever you have to do to make a sketch - Go for it! Have fun =)

In my original post, there are links to other programs, including a web-based one that will convert your photo to a sketch =)

G.J. and crazsquaw like this.
  15. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

ADORE this challenge!

[​IMG]

turtlebug, Sokee, flowersgal and 10 others like this.
  16. amandaresende

amandaresende amandaresende

17. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Love this challenge.

[​IMG]

bjc, MrsPeel, Sokee and 7 others like this.
  18. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

@AlannaH Do you use Artisan 4? I need to figure this out too... :)

19. katell

katell CT - Sara Gleason

20. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

Thanks for the challenge, I learned something new! :)

[​IMG]

MariSt, cfile, LoveItScrapIt and 3 others like this.