January 13: One Word (Journaling Challenge)

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by lcpereyra, Jan 13, 2017.

1. lcpereyra

lcpereyra You won't believe my blue streak!

January 13: One Word (Journaling Challenge)

Happy Hellos & Welcome! It is day 13 of the the Month of Challenges and I hope you are enjoying your time here at The Lilypad and making lots of great pages to preserve your memories.

Today’s challenge is a journaling challenge and all about one word. For this challenge, I want you to journal about the word EXPLORE. Reflect on what this word brings to your mind, how you feel about it, and what it means to you. Since this is a journaling challenge, you need to write more than just that one word. You should have multiple lines of sentences that take up at least 1/4 or your page, and the word explore needs to be used in your journaling.

Some tips:
    • Use the word Explore as a sentence starter.
    • Use the technique of repetition and use the word Explore multiple times throughout your journaling.
    • Use the 5 W’s to talk about the word Explore - who/what/where/when/why
    • Use descriptive language to relate the deeper significance and paint a picture of the word Explore and how it relates to you.
    • Relax and have fun with it! :)
    Here is my page:
    [​IMG]

Requirements:
    1 - You must journal multiple sentences, totaling at least 1/4 of a page. Word art and word strips do not count.
    2 - You must include the one word - explore - at least one time on your page.

General requirements:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page should be uploaded to the TLP Gallery and not an outside hosting site. Please post your page in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean. You should also post your page here in this thread, and people can comment here if they wish. Pages should contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store). All MOC pages must be posted in your main MOC page thread by 11:59 pm eastern time on February 2 in order to count!

2. 3BluEyedBabies

3BluEyedBabies Falling for pumpkin ...

Your page is lovely! I'm quite a few pages behind, so I really need to think about this one!

Neverland Scraps and lcpereyra like this.
  3. KarenB

KarenB I like dogs. And maybe three people.

Fab challenge. Going to make me think...

lcpereyra likes this.
  4. _scrapaholic_

_scrapaholic_ Well-Known Member

I'd like to journal in my mother language, is it ok to use the translation for "explore" in the journaling instead of the exact word "explore"?

Juliestcyr and meterr like this.
  5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

interesting.. I am up for it :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    knclark, jesskab, JenniferJ and 4 others like this.
  6. lcpereyra

As long as you let me know what that word is in your native language and I can see it on your page, I think it should be fine. I'll let you know if I hear otherwise. :)

lynnw and _scrapaholic_ like this.
  7. AlannaH

AlannaH Well-Known Member

I love the shape of your journalling!! Interesting challenge!

lcpereyra likes this.
  8. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

Fantastic challenge, photo and page Lori!!! Putting on my thinking cap for this one!

lcpereyra likes this.
  9. bjc

bjc Trophy Wife

I love your page and how you did the journaling. An u explain how you did it in that shape. This challenge is going to have to get me thinking. Nothing comes to mind now and I am going on a trip next week so maybhave to do it after I come back cause I think I will be taking lots of photos and doing lots of exploring

lcpereyra likes this.
  10. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

WOW, threw me a loop on this one but I love a good challenge! Journaling is my weakest point, but then throw in one word and have to write about it plus use it a number of times------WOW! But, guess what? I DID IT!!!!!:byay
    I used the word "explore" 7 times. Let me know if this doesn't meet requirements.

https://the-lilypad.com/forum/galleries/day-13-journaling-explore.282333/
    [​IMG]

JenniferJ, Tree City, KarenB and 7 others like this.
  11. lcpereyra

I use Photoshop CC so these are the basic steps I used:

1 - Using the pen tool, create the shape of the text box that you want. Be sure to close up the shape by clicking on your starting point.
    2 - Switch to the text tool. The tool itself will, where your pointer is, change from a dashed rectangle to a circle. This lets you know that it is now going to type within the shape you created.
    3 - Type your text.

For the spacing around my dog, I simply used the space bar to move my text where I needed it. :) There may be more advanced ways to do a shape within a shape, but this way worked for me.

My layout for this challenge took a few tries and redos to get the shape the way I wanted it because technology always glitches on me. ;)

I'm a visual person, so I need to see thing like this in motion. This is a video I've used in the past to walk through the steps:

SandyPie, bjc, Iowan and 4 others like this.
  12. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

13. AlannaH

AlannaH Well-Known Member

14. jkcantwell

jkcantwell Active Member

Great challenge. I'm a little disappointed that I can't use my One Word for the year though (I chose "intention" for this year). Sniff ;-)

carilyne likes this.
  15. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Love this challenge

[​IMG]

knclark, SanVHM, bjc and 3 others like this.
  16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

You can probably work it into a different challenge. ;) Great word choice!

cinna and lcpereyra like this.
  17. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

well you can do a page about exploring your intentions for the year?
    delve into the word, your reasonings for the word etc...I think it sounds like a fabulous journaling experience! ♥

cherpea, Sokee, elk2009 and 2 others like this.
  18. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

19. lcpereyra

I bet you can easily work it into another challenge, or do a bonus layout for yourself if you are making a special album for your personal word. :) Not everyone chooses a One Little Word so Anne's idea is a great way to incorporate your word into this challenge if you want to make it fit better to you personally.

The big point (imo) is to stretch yourself a bit and have fun with the process. :)

20. mollyc

mollyc PrettyPinkPicturesPlease

Isn't "exploring" the word and how it applies to your life sort of an integral part of the actual OLW class? I took it last year and it seems like the whole year is set up to explore ways of applying the word to your everyday life.

lcpereyra, Sokee and crazsquaw like this.