International Food Differences

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 15, 2017.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

@Juliestcyr So this is the fridge milk section pic in HK i mentioned earlier - there was a few things 'wrong' with this that made me take the photo (i am pretty sure thisv section contains more gallon plastic containers in the US (that looks like they're designed for those that need to feed an army to me)
    1-SAM_4690.jpg
    1. i'm pretty sure it's just labelled 'milk' here or 'full-cream', not 'whole' (our milk in the fridge has 'Australian' in tiny print and 'Lite Milk' big on the label and the dairy section here is basically 50/50 light and regular 'full cream' cows milk with some small quantities of specialty milks) but it has a big 'Australian' on the label and then in small print under the '75yrs of service' logo thing, it says 'Kowloon Dairy' and Kowloon is in HK so I doubt it could be Aussie milk but maybe it's Aussie-style milk?? the price sticker, shelf label says it 'Aust'n Whole Milk Drink' - the word 'drink' there just seems odd to me - like they have to differentiate it from a food? Does bottled water need to be called 'bottled water drink'?
    2. if we buy milk in cartons here (instead of plastic bottles in the fridge section), they don't have that lid/twisty cap thing on it, it looks like the milk cartons on the right with the ?Chinese characters on it where you physically open the side flap bitsat the top of the carton and make a pouring spout
    3. the cartons on the left, are the UHT (longlife) not refridgerated type containers so i'm not used to seeing them in the fridge section

Karen, Juliestcyr and MrsPeel like this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

lol i'd much rather scrap than record my voice
    and yep i havent read the whole thread either and gotta do stuff so i'll pop back later :)

Karen and MrsPeel like this.
  3. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!

there was a time in which we did record something and posted our videos?
    I need to find that, so you can hear my Latina- English Brit accent!!!!!

bellbird likes this.
  4. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Scones like the UK make - sweet buttery dense muffin like - serve with tea

cfile likes this.
  5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Scone has a K sound in it, but otherwise, yes, it sounds like shown and shone - and rhymes with drone, bone and moan.

Now in the USA we do have different ways of saying "creek" and "pecan" depending on where you live.
    creek (long e) and crick (like ick in Mick)
    People in the South tend to say pee-can (like the thing you use when you can't get out of the hospital bed). But other parts of the country call them pa-con.

cfile likes this.
  6. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

i know -everything is overloaded with sugar, it is unreal. when i bake i always cut the sugar amount by about half! oreos are crazy sweet!

bellbird likes this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I meant to say Ireland. I got yelled at by @MrsPeel for not seeing there (n England) when I was in Ireland- so I think England was on my brain!

cfile and bellbird like this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

tom-ay-toe, tom-art-oh, let's call the whole thing off :)

Karen, cfile, bestcee and 1 other person like this.
  9. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

I love this thread waaay too much. At work we're hosting a bunch of American and British guests for a week-long workshop. At lunch, when the desert tray came out, none of our guests knew what Nanaimo bars (pron. nah-NIGH-moe) were. They are the kind of thing that you can expect to see on any desert tray, and sold in every coffee shop in Canada. They're named after the city of Nanaimo, in British Columbia. So spell it with a capital "N". They are perfect for bake sales and cookie exchanges. During the holiday season you can dress them up with nuts, or even candy cane bits and some peppermint flavour in the filling layer.

bestcee likes this.
  10. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

When I was in Canada years ago, I had a salad with what I thought was grated carrot, it was cheese! Our cheese in NZ is yellow rather than orange so it freaked me out for a second

bellbird and Juliestcyr like this.
  11. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

@littlekiwi where in Canada did you visit?

Your story brought to mind a cheese-horror I experienced in England this summer. I was there for work, and at some point, we were offered a lunch with sandwich trays. There was something that at first I thought was egg salad, but it didn't look right. One of the Brits told me it was a "cheese and onion" sandwhich. My colleague from Trinidad called it "cheese paste". She said it's what you pack your kids for lunch when you forget to do the groceries. Essentially, it's grated cheese, with a bit of grated onion, and held together with a generous amount of mayonnaise. I ate it, because vegetarians at sandwhich buffets are desperate people, but beurk! Even worse than egg salad.

cfile and bellbird like this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Graham crackers are not as sweet as some of the other crackers, but they are sweeter than any arrowroot cookies I've had.

Oh my gosh! I made DH try one of those at the Canadian bakery we used to have. He didn't understand it, and was freaked out by how sweet it was!

How yellow? I mean, most of my cheese I would call orange, but we have some that is a lighter orange. So is your yellow like sunshine yellow? Or pale yellow? I'm so curious now!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  13. bestcee

This thread makes me want to travel just to see the differences. Kinda like when I learned toilets flush the 'wrong' way in the southern hemisphere when I was a kid. Which, is that true? Or an old wives tale?

Juliestcyr likes this.
  14. bestcee

And then there's the puh - can that my grandma used!

cfile likes this.
  15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

so i've never heard of that - the food nor the place in BC! nor would i have pronounced it right! looks yummy though - what did your int'nat'l guests think?

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

let me save you a long costly plane trip - it does swirl the opposite way but y'know what? we shut the lid to flush and it's not something we think about & here's basically the contents of my fridge for colour comparison (i remember the cheese being pretty orange and the butter/margarine as being pretty white from our trip) - that's our margarine in the round tub and 2 kinds of cheese, tasty (the sliced)is our normal cheese, and equivalent to cheddar internationally; mozzarella we personally put on anything that needs shredded cheese generally but use shredded/grated tasty as well; the orange mango juice and milk is just for colour comparison (and there's some green tinged and overripe bananas in the bkgrd as well)

food-IMG_8073.jpg

bestcee and cfile like this.
  17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@Juliestcyr Vancouver, British Columbia

@bestcee this is the colour of the cheese I’m used to
    [​IMG]

where as the cheese I had during that trip was more in the vain of the top left hand ones
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  18. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

Oh, and we have TimTams in Australia - the BEST biscuit to dunk in anything! :)

@jenn mccabe I should try my DS on an Arrowroot. I hadn't thought of it till you mentioned it.

Scones - we pronounce it to rhyme with "on" - are the cause of a constant battle between DH and I. I eat them the Australian way (jam first, then cream) whereas he eats them the Devonian way (cream then jam).

19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

You must have had chedder cheese. Some of the packaged chedder is orange.

20. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

omg Tim Tams are the best! we can get them here in the US in Walmart.. also looks like Target too.. they are extremely addictive! My husband has an Australian Artist friend who told him about it so I went in search of. They are delightful and my mot favorite store bought cookie!
    [​IMG]

bellbird likes this.