International Food Differences

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Nov 15, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I have white granulated sugar, powdered sugar (superfine white powder), light brown sugar and honey. I bought baking sugar once for creme brulee and that I think is similar to the castor sugar.

And then I was thinking: what do you call our scones? Fry bread?

I have a dish especially for this! I love it. It holds water and keeps the butter soft and from molding - assuming you change the water every 3-4 days in our summer. Not a problem in the winter.

I have that jug. Because growing up, I learned it is the perfect jug for the bathroom! It rinses kids hair without getting water or soap in their eyes.

If I recall correctly from GBBO, they have double cream across the pond, and it is more milk fat than our heavy cream!

And the discussion about digestive biscuits made me giggle, because it's totally what we call the boring arrowroot cookies we feed to teething babies. I also use arrowroot to thicken sauces or gravies.

Meredith78 likes this.
  2. bestcee

Tree City likes this.
  3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

@Juliestcyr We have a butter bell too to keep butter out on the counter. I don't use it much b/c I don't often need the butter to be soft. I keep the butter in the fridge.

I keep butter, milk, eggs, etc in the fridge. As for sugar, I have granulated sugar but never use powdered sugar. I use a lot of other things like honey, maple syrup, stevia, erythritol and coconut sugar.

bestcee likes this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

oh have a fantastic time.. stay away from Marmite, unless you like really salty eww kinda stuff LOL They use it on toast. I tried it again this time around aand hubby got a priceless photo of me with the funny face. I like HP sauce which is a brown sauce. It is a mix of ketchup and worcestshire sauce I think.. I love it. They use it for everything. We just picked up crackers .. we stayed at a hotel and went to dinner a few times. We stayed at the River Plaza Hotel on the Thames. Not too far from Vauxhall subway and the Rose restaurant is right there... between the Vauxhall station and the Lambeth Bridge. I did a lot of google searches and planned out our visit prior to us meeting up with the tour we were going to be on to get the most of our trip. We purchased an "Oyster card" for each of us and we were able to use it for 3 days on the underground subway. Re Abbey Road, you would need to get the gray line subway and get off at St. Johns's Wood station.. that would be the closest and then it is about a 15 block walk to Abbey Rd. Let me know what you are interested in seeing and I am sure alot will help you out.. re buying things for the apt. maybe specak to Cynthia (Aka Mrs. Peel @MrsPeel ) for staples.

MrsPeel and Juliestcyr like this.
  5. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Buy Lemon Curd!!! Best thing ever. Hot toast, lots of butter, lemon curd. YUMMY!

Meredith78 and MrsPeel like this.
  6. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Milk: Only sold in 1l containers, either glass bottle or tetra pak. Tetra paks are great because they can be stacked and once empty can be folded and put in the recycle bin just laying flat.
    Milk is stored either in the fridge or outside depending on what milk it is. Fresh milk (i.e. not that much processed) needs to go in the fridge. Homogenized, pasteurized milk is stored outside. Super practical! I only buy that kind because our weekly supply would fill out our fridge - well, almost.

Eggs: In the store they are not in the fridge but at home I store them in the fridge.

Butter: Always in the fridge. For putting on bread I buy something we call butter spread, it is butter with some parts plant oil which makes it easy to spread when it comes out of the fridge. The texture and taste is like butter, but it just that tiny bit softer.

I love going to grocery shops in other countries. And I love going to the shops here that sell other foods. We have one in town which is a combo: British Empire/American store. I was going to look for Cheetos (I LOVE Cheetos but you can't get them here, normally. I don't understand it because they do sell other Lays products). Anyway, they had them and a bag was 8€!!!! For a bag of Cheetos! I have no idea how much they are in the US, but I bet they don't cost $9.4.

bestcee, Juliestcyr and MrsPeel like this.
  7. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

@bestcee BANANA MILK!!!!! When I was planning out my Korean trip, one of the things on my bucket list was to try the banana milk. Oh man, it was sooo good.

It's not an 'American' thing, but in Utah they have "fry sauce" which is like, ranch or mayo, ketchup, mustard and other seasonings. I do miss that.

I'm confused about the pronunciation of shown and shone as well, please clarify! :helpy

In Korea, you could also buy chicken legs in vacuum sealed packages which was really fun and of course, kimchi available in all sorts of ways in gas stations. They also had this peach soda. The peach soda wasn't abnormal for me like the others were, but I miss it a LOT. :)

Meredith78, MrsPeel and bestcee like this.
  8. bestcee

@Serena I buy boxed banana milk in Utah at gossners farms. They have an online store, but I don't know how it works.

I've seen it at the grocery store too here in Nevada by the milk, in the jugs like chocolate milk. Maybe it's at yours, and you haven't noticed?

I make my own fry sauce: ketchup, mayo and pickle juice. It's pretty close to the one at the restaurants.

Serena likes this.
  9. Nightshadow

Nightshadow Pancakes are their own food group

Hi Serena,

English, especially American English, is a very odd language because it has incorporated into itself words from many different cultures and countries. I've always wondered how people from other countries who live here ever manage to learn to speak American English, therefore, your confusion is not at all unusual. Now having prefaced my answer with much more than you originally asked, the answer to your question is that both words are pronounced exactly the same way...Long letter "O" and ending in letter "N". The "E" in 'shone' is silent.

Did this help or are you now more confused than ever? :ballonhang

Serena, MrsPeel and bellbird like this.
  10. bestcee

Oh my gosh! That's so high!
    I buy them on sale, usually 2 bags for $5. Sometimes, 2 for $4.

That's so interesting that they don't sell them routinely there. Here, they didn't used to sell 'all dressed' chips. They do now, but they aren't the same. The flavor is not as strong as the Canadian ones.

If I go to the speciality store for Canadian chocolate they mark it up. $3 for a toffee bar, $2 for an aero bar.

Oh! I thought of another one: here in the US Smarties are a small powder pressed candy. Not chocolate.

11. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Maybe like Drone then? Unless drone rhymes with drown over there?! [This brings back all the "how do I say MOC threads lol!] @Karen @BevG So if you imagine Hugh Laurie when he's not Dr House; I love how he sounds so imagine he said The stars shone brightly [ but not "shown" cos that would be weird :giggle

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Karen likes this.
  12. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Yep arrowroots are an 'all ages ' biscuit here, and everything from memory in the US was heaps sweeter (even orange juice) & the fact that they go mushy when dunked in milk etc is part of the appeal. But I think that's personal preference; but why would u want to break a tooth on a biscuit?! Oreos were a game changer when intro'd over here a few years back ( but can't say I like them -too sweet :backing)

jenn mccabe and bestcee like this.
  13. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I wish they were so expensive here too, so I wouldn't buy them. But at €1.20 ($1.40), I eat them more often than I'd like to admit!

Rikki and bestcee like this.
  14. bestcee

I don't doubt this at all!

bellbird likes this.
  15. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I rhyme them both with drone and moan. Do you rhyme one with drown?? which one?

16. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

drown rhymes with down and clown - drone rhymes with clone (rhymes with own - said "oh-n" i guess)- one rhymes with fun and sounds the same as 'won'- gosh what a thread this has turned out to be ... i have to admit sometimes i see like Southern US BBQ shows on the food channel and i have to concentrate or turn on subtitles :hide)

bestcee likes this.
  17. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I can't do Oreo's either, if you are going to have a chocolate biscuit then it is Tim Tams or Caramel Crowns - mmm, real chocolate.
    Chocolate ripple biscuits or arrowroot biscuits make the best cheesecake base. Just about the only time we get Oreo's is when we travel to SE Asia, Oreos are very popular there and available at every street vendor.
    Our crackers are more savory, I always assumed Graham crackers were the same and didn't quite understand how they could be used in a sweet dish...
    Also assumed your half n half would be like skim milk - so got that completely wrong. Love the idea of milk in a bag though!
    Also took me year to work out what broiling was...
    So many terms we have grown up having no idea what they actually are!

Karen and bestcee like this.
  18. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i didn't know the US even had something called scones?! it is bread you fry is it? or is it cornbread kind of stuff?

19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:hi5
    glad it wasn't just me! i thought we just pronounced 'boiling' different :)

I've heard the milk in a bag thing @Juliestcyr and couldn't figure out how it would work - like there are 'cheap bulk' wines here in a bag in a box (a cask) and i figured your milk was like that and that it was kind of packaging overkill but as long as the bag is recyclable, i'd be all for that. the plastic bottles here are recyclable (there's one pictured bottom right in this page i did for DYD the other day) and so are the cartons/long-life Ultra heat treated (UHT) milks that are sold non-refridgerated - this is a very divisive topic though - it doesnt taste any different to me but i've learnt the amount of people who hate it is a vocal group in work places!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  20. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

ok, first of all, I have to say, I kinda stop reading at post #19 because...you guys... I am SOOOOOO hungry and I have been avoiding buying anything vaguely sweet or before my Heart Failure condition kills me, my diabetes will......
    :imok

anyway, putting food images aside right now is impossible, but ....
    we also have biscuits, the North Americans, the USA also has biscuits but aren't the biscuits we call biscuits :giggle
    we now have cookies, with the globalization, now in London at least we have Maryland cookies that you can buy almost everywhere... I usually use ginger biscuits for cheese cake.

The milk we have both, from the fridge and the long life carton boxes ones, eggs I keep in the fridge in summer, outside any other season, same with tomatoes, tomatoes apparently loose all the anti oxidants in the fridge and loose taste too, but they root to soon in summer, so in summer is fridge...
    I love butter but we use Flora, so is kept in the fridge always....

We have the bags, have had for ages , in South America. Brazil & Argentina for sure, (as I lived there) and then I have been around in Uruguay & Paraguay and I think I remember both having the bags.
    Also boxes, though in my times, think about 25+ years, it wasn't much the long life, but the box from the fridge.

as for the cornflakes with cream, maybe is single cream? I use the vegetable option, non dairy cream called Elmlea, but in any make, the single cream is runny, almost like milk , but is much more rich in calories....
    I love the coffee with cream in Argentina...I haven't found any cream to stick in coffee like theirs, is proper whipped cream...

yup yup yup another confused one here!!!!!!!
    Justine, we demand a video or at least an audio file @bellbird
    :giggle

couldn't agree more about the coffee here!!!
    and I also eat cereal dry...maybe we are both weird LOL

we are using Nescafe instant lately here because I cannot manage the kitchen too much...but when I was better, I would go to the Portuguese shop near us to buy Brazilian filter coffee....or you can put it in those French press or the Italian coffee pots...but I really really dislike the coffee here ...I also end up going to Starbucks if drinking coffee out!!!!

mmmmm maybe more confused than ever :circles

but then again, I am a Portuguese/Spanish native speaker, who learned English singing with mostly USA and Canadian artists (which to me then sounded the same) and then ended up living in the Uk for over 25 years..... and even though I used to be a court simultaneous interpreter.... my pronunciation still lacks..or so my daughter tells me when she sneaks laughter at some words :rofl
    would love to hear Justine pronounce the whole sentence....
    (these days I can differentiate Aussies from USA's and British!!!!)

ok, now, I am going to raid my kitchen for something vaguely sweet!!!!!!!!!:stash