I need help with computer issues...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Apr 26, 2017.

1. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

For some reason I can't navigate the website. At first I thought it was a glitch that I couldn't input my GC numbers in the store. Now it seems I can't upload to the gallery. I've tried both IE/Edge and Firefox, have uninstalled and re-installed Firefox, cleared the cache in both browsers, and have run a virus scan, all without luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? My computer-geek DH is on travel, or I'd let him figure it out. ;-) Thanks!

2. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Are you getting an error? What happens? Sounds like maybe a virus protection or safe guard type program is blocking you.

3. QuiltyMom

@BevG I'm not getting anything. I put the GC# in the designated place, hit return, and it disappears.
    I choose the file to upload to the gallery, hit return and it brings me back to choose an image to upload. That's it.

I'm almost afraid to see what else is up. But my virus protection just did a upgrade a few days ago, so maybe that's it. Won't that be a fun thing to figure out what's up.

4. BevG

Hmm, it does sound like something is running interference and stopping you. I would check your firewall settings (either in Windows or stand-alone program, depending on which you are using).

bestcee and QuiltyMom like this.
  5. QuiltyMom

Thanks, Bev. I'll do that!

6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

oh no... hoping you can figure it out! A system restore to a previous point might alleviate the issue?

QuiltyMom likes this.
  7. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Have you turned it off and then restarted? It is an old cliche but often helps when odd errors show up.

QuiltyMom and bellbird like this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

with the UL gallery page, have you been able to upload to other sites? like facebook or anywhere else so you know its site specific? i have a problem when it goes daylight savingshere, it does something to my uploads at some sites...

from memory the GC disappears and then u get to the next page and it's subtracted from you total (it' been a while since i used a GC but i remember it is different from a coupon code that either says it's invalid or show the discount immediately... @lmccandless or @NancyBeck might be more help on that one

QuiltyMom likes this.
  9. QuiltyMom

They did help me! The customer service here is amazing, as usual! And I haven't tried uploading to another site to see what happens - good idea. I'll try that tomorrow. The whole thing is absolutely wonky, that's all. I've never had something like this happen before, but I'm also thinking it could be a firewall issue.

Another good idea. I never thought of that. I'll also try that tomorrow. I'm so tech-unsavvy that I'll need to figure out how to do all of this. Ha!

that was the first thing I did! Thanks for the reminder, though. :-)

jk703 likes this.
  10. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

@QuiltyMom I would make sure you've cleared out all of your temporary Internet files/computer cache. It may be "holding onto" the numbers thinking you've already used them. Before going through a system restore, I would use the system tools (if you're a Windows user) to defrag your hard drive and clear your cache. It never hurts to give them a try.

If you're using Windows 10, it should be under Windows Administrative Tools. >Disk Cleanup and > Defragment & Optimize Drives.
    If you're using Windows 7, these tools should be under Windows Accessories.

Sokee and QuiltyMom like this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This for sure! I know Cheryl was having a problem, and while I don't think it was fully solved, it turned out her firewall needed an update that should have fixed it. I also know when I worked customer service for internet, Norton accidentally sent out an update that blocked Facebook. They fixed it quick, but it caused lots of issues until then!

gonewiththewind and QuiltyMom like this.
  12. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

Try it today? I was able to get on at 2am my time but then when I tried again at 5 am, I couldn't pull the lilypad up at all! Every other site was pulling up and I had tried restarting but I wasn't able to pull the lilypad up in ANY capacity yesterday until around 7pm. I was freaking out because I wanted to see what the sales were before it was too late!

Luckily it came back up, but what I'm thinking is maybe there was something off yesterday and today it seems fine and it affected not only me but you as well? Here's hoping!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  13. QuiltyMom

EEk. I remember that with Cheryl! I know basically nothing about firewalls, so I'll be learning a lot on the matter very soon!
    Oh, missing the sale would've been scary!!! Glad you were able to get on. I haven't tried yet this morning, but will this afternoon when I get back home!
    I haven't done these two steps in ages, so that's what I'm running now! Thanks for the tip!!

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I sure hope you get it figured out. It's tragic not to be able to get your scrappy site working! I wish I could offer a suggestion, but instead I'll just commiserate with you. :giggle

15. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I had a similar issue and it was related to Adobe Flash. Once I updated it, then I could navigate sites again. (Also, sometimes Firefox and Win 10 just do not get along. So then I use chrome.)

QuiltyMom likes this.
  16. QuiltyMom

Karen, don't you know that misery loves company! heh heh
    Thanks for the idea, Sara! I'll try updating Flash. Off to do that now. Otherwise, outside of a system reboot and checking the firewall (which I have no idea how to do!), nothing has worked. I am able to upload to different galleries, so maybe there's some sort of tag (or something) that's blocking TLP. The shame!

Karen and Tree City like this.
  17. londoncuppa

Hope you figure it out, Jan. I can't access TLP at work anymore on my computer. Their servers must be based/routed through a country we block. We've inacted more stringent rules after hit with a company-wide ransomware attack.

I can access most other stores, but not The Pad (unless I'm using my phone and NOT on wifi; no downloads). Makes me sad. :cry

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    QuiltyMom likes this.
  18. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to computer 'stuff' so glad the ladies here at the Pad are so helpful!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  19. BevG

The Pad website has changed recently, like in the last month? I always request a secure connect, i.e. https, and it has been telling me for about a month that it can not do a secure log-in to TLP. It used to do the secure connect no problem.

However, I doubt that would explain your problem Jan. Especially if you uploaded pics last week or something, as the change I am talking about happened some time mid-March.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  20. londoncuppa

@QuiltyMom Jan, I had a thought. If you're using IE, try visiting the site in compatibility mode. If you're using Windows 7, the setting is under the gear symbol. You just add The Pad's URL. I've had that fix certain issues I've had on a few sites. Just an idea.

QuiltyMom likes this.