How's the Weather?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Juliestcyr, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Hey, so, one of the things I love about the Lilypad is finding out about everyone's life around the world.

Here in Ottawa, Canada, the Ottawa River is at it's highest level I've seen it in 15 years, and we have 3 more days of rain. Although I am only 650 m from the shoreline, but we're fairly elevated and none of our neighbours has ever had flood problems. But, they are already sandbagging on the other side of the river (Gatineau, Quebec)...

How is the weather where you are? What season is it? Do you live near a body of water that floods occasionally?

2. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I'm in the Valley of the Sun and it was 90 today if not a little over...so.hot. This weekend we'll probably see 100 :angry

3. Juliestcyr

Tradesies?

4. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Today was a wonderful spring day. Even now, at almost 11:00 p.m., it's still 70 degrees. Windows and doors open and fresh air coming into the house. Tonight we're in for some thunderstorms, though. Tomorrow, high of 80 and more of the same the rest of the week.

It doesn't flood in my neighborhood, but in the city where the 3 rivers meet, it floods quite often.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Here in southern West Virginia it's been in the 70's, but we're getting lots of rain right now. Next week is supposed to be better and closer to 80. I'm in the mountains so parts of our area, like where I live, are pretty elevated, but in the valleys near the rivers, it floods fairly often.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  6. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I live in the Central Valley in California. Our weather is really nice right now. But we've been flip-flopping between nice and rainy. According to weather reports we'll be in the 70's and reaching closer to the 80's before we see any rain again.

We are usually in an extreme drought but we've had a good amount of rain this winter that has helped. I'm not near much water but there have been several lakes and rivers in the central valley that have flowed over and caused flooding for the people that live near them.

7. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Here in Michigan we have been mostly upper 60's, yesterday and today it is rain rain rain.

8. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I live in Bavaria and it has been already really warm (no sleeves weather) a couple of weeks ago and yesterday it snowed big fat flakes! Today it is sunny but freezing cold. The weather is all over the place. But luckily I live in an area which is fairly safe, I have never experienced a flooding or really bad storms. We have a river nearby that floods occasionally but only in the park which is lower than our house. Thank Good for that.

bestcee likes this.
  9. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I don't want to brag, but we had beautiful weather here in the US's Midwest, where I'm visiting. But then at about 4am today a thunderstorm rolled in. Hail, lightning/thunder, etc that woke up the kids even earlier than normal. The river in my parents' city is SUPER high: homes are already flooded and other homes have water like literally outside their door. After the rain today, I'm a little worried for those homes.
    As far as where I live: IDK what it's like today. The weekend was nice. DH said he got some outdoor work done. But I haven't asked what the weather is like right now and he hasn't said lol! We've only lived in our state for 3 years, so IDK if it's ever flooded in our neighborhood, but I do know that it can flood. Coastal states always have worries of that type. :( And I know that if we didn't have a sump pump, then we'd probably have had some yucky basement issues. I want to replace one of our sumps (there are 2 that connect) with a marine battery backup one. Just for peace of mind.

10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I'm in NJ... and we had 80 degrees on Sunday... and I want that back. We are between the 50's and 60's. Today, it is on the cooler side and raining. Boo!

We do get hurricane's and stuff, but usually don't have any issues. Though, when Sandy hit, it was bad. Water everywhere, damage everywhere, and no power for 10 days. I do not want to repeat that strong of a storm! Eventually when we have an addition put on I want to add the permanent gas powered generator. Good thing my Dad's an electrician!

11. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

We have flood threats in the area - but it is rare they amount to real problems. I live near a small creek that has occasionally caused issues with trying to pass through when I go into town, but I am high up on a big hill - no flooding for my home- that is for sure. And the hudson river is not too far from me.

We've had a lot of rain this year too. It is raining right now. Stay safe and I hope the river levels do not continue to rise Julie!

12. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I live in the Valley of the Sun, also. And I'll trade you your rain for our high temps! Not the flooding though. Someone else can have that. :) I have a mockingbird that sings in the tree just down from our condo unit and I love having doors open so I can hear it every day. It will soon be too hot to leave them open though.

13. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I'm on the west coast of BC, Canada (Vancouver area) and at this time of year we get temps about 50-65 and rain almost every day. Of course, we get a lot of rain all through the year so even though I hate it, I do expect it. One thing BCers do though is get outdoors and appreciate the good weather when we get it. My phone app is buzzing me every morning to tell me (again) that rain is forecasted in the next 24 hours....ugh. I need some sunshine!

14. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Raining here today and suppose to rain all day. It's a cold rain (38 degrees) so I am hunkering down indoors all day and just scrapping! NICE!!!! Spring is struggling to break through the Winter grasp as it does every April. Up here in NE Michigan it can be in the 60s one day and snowing the next. We don't put our plants out until the end of May for fear of a frost. We had one 2 nights ago when it hit 29. The fluctuation of temps in April is really crazy! But the flowers are breaking through and the robins are back so Spring is winning the battle!!

15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Las Vegas here. The latest flood I experienced was at the museum. But, that's because we are high. The rain doesn't come often, but when it does the ground is typically too baked to absorb it, so it flows for lower ground and piles up. Sadly, the homeless are usually in the storm drain areas and have to be rescued, or perish.

As to the weather today, it 71 F at 9:20 am. Our high is 85, low 59, and we are expected to break 90 easily this weekend.

16. Juliestcyr

Last night, I just scrapped some photos from when I was in Victoria and Vancouver in early April 2013. I remember my amazement/jealousy that all your tulips had already bloomed. But, I think it did rain every day that week.

17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Yep, that sounds about right LOL. We have gorgeous greenery and blooms in the spring but the trade-off is all the rain we get. It's not so bad once it warms up but other than a few days of high 60's, we're been in the 50's and low 60's during the day so it still feels pretty chilly.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  18. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

In the Midwest, northern Illinois, a few miles away from the Wisconsin border. It's been a wet spring, the Rock River is high. But today I left work during my morning break wearing with no coat. It is warm enough today, but a bit on the dreary side. Yesterday it was gorgeous & sunny, although we had some rain overnight since everything was wet outdoors. They were predicting hail, but I never heard it.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  19. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I live 5 miles from the city of Fredericksburg, Virginia. The Rappahannock River runs through it, and it has flooded some parts of town. Our weather lately has been in the 60's to 70's with those frequent April showers that bring May flowers. ;)

20. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

It's been raining on and off all day...in Toronto! And it's chilly....I want sunshine!