How to Get your Layout RIGHT in the gallery and Forum

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Jan 5, 2017.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

You have made your gorgeous layout. Hopefully you have saved as a high resolution JPG so you can one day print it out. (that is a whole different post)

NOW, you want to show the Pad your gorgeousness. Since it is online, and every page takes precious room, you now need to SAVE for WEB! (make smaller)
    Here at the Pad, there are a few things you can use, I have only used this one and it is FREE!
    resize for web photoshop action
    [​IMG]

Here is HOW to use the Action:

a huge thank you to @LeeAnn for helping me get this together and your beautiful page!
    [​IMG]
    YOU must have the OPTIMIZED page up
    MAKE SURE YOU HIT SAVE
    now your save for web page is some where on your computer. I recommend having a SAVE for WEB folder somewhere. (these are horrible to print, very low resolution). You don't have to keep them, but they load up good for Facebook, other galleries and I use mine on a photo album thingee.

Now, lets step by step load it to the LIly Pad gallery.

remember:
    GALLERY RULES: Layouts must contain at least 50% TLP products. (Templates count as 15%.) Uploads must be less than 250k. List all credits; no off-site linking allowed.

1. Find the

Add Layout button - it is PINK
    2. You must CHOOSE a category BEFORE you can upload your LAYOUT
    once you choose the category the screen will change and you will see a button that says
    Upload Image

3. Click the Upload Image button. A black/gray pop up will show up, with a white button that says. CHOOSE FILE
    4. Click Choose File and it will go to your computer, browse and find your save for web image.
    5. Now you can change the Title, add credits and fun things about your page, and if you want to add it to different categories, you can do that too. HOLD control to pick as many as you want.
    6. SAVE MEDIA button-click on it. NOW your page is in the gallery.

NEXT- How to post your page to the forum to help everyone come and see your page to leave love!

[​IMG]
    1. Share BB [*img]Code Code
    all you have to do is click and copy the code under this title
    PASTE in the forum...you do NOT have to use the add image box at all! This will make a full size image and when anyone clicks on it...BAM they go right to it in the gallery! This is really great for MOC challenge threads, Speed scraps, and any other challenge.
    2. Share BB [*IMG] (with Thumbnail) Code - this is a smaller (thumbsize) image that will still bring you right to your page. (this is helpful for your MOC thread and challenges to come)
    *red asterisk is to keep the codes from messing up the post, they aren't actually on the titles
    If you are still lost, please post and we are here to help you!

Also, my amazing boss has a step by step tutorial HERE to help you
    EDIT your Layout Image in the Gallery

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Beckie, KellyM, grrfluudy and 9 others like this.
  2. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Can I add a suggestion? Right above the quality that you circled in your screenshot, is a menu button (3 lines). Click that and you can say Optimize to File Size. I like to type 245, cuz rounding. It's a little faster than playing with the number line.

4. AnneofAlamo

@bestcee and anyone else...if you have ideas or thoughts how, add them here...I am all for help and helping!

KellyM and bestcee like this.
  5. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This is wonderful, Anne! Thank you for doing this... I see it helping lots of people to get their layouts down to the 250 sizing! :beat

Great suggestion, Courtney!

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm wondering if my old methods are just as good.

1. Until a couple of months ago I was just using the PS menu option IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE to resize my layouts, both the width/height and the resolution and then doing SAVE AS and appending WEB to the file name.

2. A couple months ago I was reminded of FILE > EXPORT > SAVE FOR WEB and I've started doing it that way instead, just changing the the width/height.

Does the action do something I'm not getting from doing it manually as I described? Do my pages look fine in my gallery?

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Your pages look perfect @michelepixels The action pretty much does the same thing you already do, with one exception... it does a little sharpening after it is resized down. I actually prefer my pages without the sharpening, but that's just my preference. I do the exact same thing you're doing to post my pages. The action is just a way to make it easier with one click. :)

KellyM, bestcee and michelepixels like this.
  8. AnneofAlamo

I love the replies, as the goal is to
    1. get the gallery full of pages that aren't HUGE a mogah
    2. help you to load your pages into the forums and challenge threads so
    others can click right on it and BAM leave you love!

KellyM likes this.
  9. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I was just about to post how much @AnneofAlamo rocks, and then I saw your post and laughed. Great minds think alike! @AnneofAlamo ROCKS!!!

10. Celeste

Celeste I'm moving to Hogwarts!

great directions anne!

11. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is the best thing I've learned in years!! Thanks, Courtney!! I didn't use the slider, I used the up and down arrows on the keyboard, but this is sooooo much easier!!

KellyM and bestcee like this.
  12. AnneofAlamo

bumping cause there are some HUGEmongous layouts in the gallery...
    pssst tell a friend!

KellyM likes this.
  13. AnneofAlamo

If you are avoiding @jenevang thank you for reading! tee hee

14. cestrada123

cestrada123 Well-Known Member

hi guys! I'm having the huge layout issue....trying to fix....but it doesn't work. I have selected "save for web" and reduced the size 50%. When I look at the file size on my computer it says the size is 139kb but when I upload and then look at information tab it says the size is still 1.2mb. I previously uploaded and then replaced it with the reduced one....I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. The ones that I didn't previously upload and change later are good, so it must be something I'm doing wrong with the replacement...I think?

15. AnneofAlamo

let me go look @cestrada123 did you download the free size for web action (if you are photo shop)?

16. AnneofAlamo

@cestrada123 it is the dimensions of your layout.
    File Size:
    250.6 KB <-----------that is great
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1512px
    Height:

1512px
    The ones in red should be 600x600 or 800 x 800 at the largest :)

17. cestrada123

Thanks for the quick response! The one I'm having issues with is my MOC day 7 I didn't dowload the action, just went into photoshop elements to File>Save for Web

18. AnneofAlamo

there should be a pop up window that comes up and in the right side near the bottom is image size?
    you want to go to 600x600 for best results for the gallery!
    I have looked at MOC day 7, and eeks, many of your images in gallery are huge. lol but we still love ya! ♥

19. AnneofAlamo

day 7 shows
    File Size:
    1.2 MB <--needs to be under 250Kb
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3264px <----600
    Height:
    2448px

and your boys are pure GORGeous! I am loving their expressions!

20. cestrada123

Thanks, I'm glad everyone is really understanding of the newbies...and I'm really trying to reduce them