How did picking several books at once work out?

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Tiff, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

I was just wondering what people's thoughts were about picking several books at once? Did it work for you?

For me, it made me feel a little bit frantic, and I ended up reading all the books as fast as I could toward the beginning of summer. I guess I didn't know when everyone else would be reading the books, and I wanted to be ready to discuss them all.

But it really didn't seem like there was a lot of participation. Was that because of the multi-month format, or just because it was summer and things were too busy/hectic?

I still like the idea of picking several books all at once, but assign each one to a specific month for the main discussion. I think it would be more efficient (don't have to vote every single month), and we could try to postpone the books with long waitlists to the end of the time period.

Tree City likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I like the idea of several books being picked at a time and then picking a month to read them. I didn't read any of them this summer, because it was summer and I got busy with stuff. I read at bedtime usually and that is much later in the summertime and I only read 1 page before I'm asleep. :giggle

scrapsandsass likes this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I think the idea was great, but I knew it wouldn't/didn't work for me. I'm a weirdo who "works" better with deadlines. When the books were posted, and everyone is reading random books all willy nilly, I didn't have that push to read by a certain deadline or the extra bump to get it read to be involved. I seemed to be more involved when one book was posted each month. Though I like voting to have the list of books.

I still want/have to read Mrs. Peregrine's Home.... sounds so intriguing, and I saw the movie preview and want to read the book even more. :)

crystalbella77 likes this.
  4. Lindzee

Lindzee Aging gracefully

I read them all in no particular, but I did tend to read them all towards the beginning of the summer. I for what everyne else decides - I'm always reading - if multiple books with deadlines are the best go forward. Lets do it.
    Who has suggestions for September, October, November - should we do 3 month schedules (or more)
    What say you @crystalbella77 ?

5. gillscott

gillscott Waldo's just my alias

this is kind of how i feel, i need more of a deadline but i'm willing to go with the majority

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

To be honest, this forum is hard for me to follow . . . the last things I saw were from April and May and then a voting for books through August . . . I know I'm medicated (LOL) but I can't find the post about the books that were selected for the summer with a discussion thread. Can someone help me out?

And about September (I did see that), is that still the Man Called Ove or has that been pushed to later because of all the wait lists. I can certainly pin things to the top so it's easy to access the current month's selection.

7. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

@gonewiththewind Man Called Ove: I think it was a suggestion that a lot of people agreed with, but I don't believe any nominating thread has been made... I don't think there is anyone "in charge" any more, LOL. I was also going to nominate a Nero Wolfe book. I think I would pick The Doorbell Rang (Author is Rex Stout)

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

9. meterr

meterr I've got ICE in my veins!

I have to pick up several at a time. Im a super fast reader. I usually read one fic and one non fic at the same time. I think I have a hard time joining in on book clubs, as I read books others dont seem interested in, and vice versa. I can finish one in less than a day, so I like to have a stack I can grab off of when I finish one. Once in a great while I get a book I just cant get into, so having several to choose from helps in that respect too. Id be so mad if I chose ONE book, then started to read it, and discovered it was not to my liking. I do have hundreds of books here at home, but I guess a new stack of library books makes me happiest!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I did the opposite of you, Tiffany: I panicked so I read nothing. Well that's not completely true cuz I started The Circle but then my loan expired. Oops. But on the bright side, I picked up a copy at the library for a buck yesterday! Hopefully I'll finish it soon.

I love the idea of assigning a book to a specific month, for the reasons already mentioned. I need a due date to work toward. Even if we start the convo sooner, readers will have an idea of when to expect a surge in the convo.

11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I missed out on the discussion of the one book I managed to read because I started it after everyone else seemed to be done talking about it. I like the idea of assigning a book to a month.

12. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I forget what I read because I too read a lot and often have to go back to my Goodreads page to see if I did or didn't read something. Some of the books weren't available at my county library or the whole MD system, so I didn't bother with them. In the end, I only read one of the 4 picked (The Circle)and that was fine with me. I may look for the other three at an upcoming book sale. For summer, I was ok with this way but for the rest of the year, I'd be happy with going back to one a month.

Cheryl, here is the list of those suggested and the four picked. Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 7.10.32 AM.png

13. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Definitely a book assigned pr month,don't mind if we choose 3 at the time, but the discussions come very haphazard if we read at different times,and we all read at different speeds too..
    @gonewiththewind , why don't you PM crystabella and ask her. The last 2 times some one else has set up the,voting so perhaps she would be pleased.

14. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

GUYS! I was a total slacker over the summer! I could barely get anything done! I AM SO SORRY! which is ridiculous to say AGAIN cause I apologized already more than once and you're probably tired of them. :/ We had a rough summer and I just could barely get anything done. Now that we have started back up with school and the baby just had his birthday, I should be able to be more scheduled. @gonewiththewind if you want to head it up that's totally fine cause I don't know where we are at the moment, but I am ready to participate however you guys choose!!

I do like choosing a few books ahead of time, but maybe not so many? Maybe like enough for 3 months? or does someone else have a better idea for a way of choosing books? I'll let Cheryl decide how she wants to do it! And please forgive me again!

15. gonewiththewind

@crystalbella77 Girl, we all have crazy lives . . . you don't need to apologize! I definitely already have a full plate, so if you can continue heading it up, that would be wonderful. If you can't, or no longer want to, I'll be happy to get it posted. I'm out of the loop as well, so I'm not more knowledgeable than you at this point. LOL Please let me know what you decide! ((HUGS)) and hope that your life, like mine, will start to even out with school being back in session.

16. crystalbella77

OK! Maybe if we can have a couple people do it together that would work so that if one person disappears there is another who knows where everyone is at?

Can someone fill me in on where you are? Are books picked for the rest of the year? When Jasper naps I will try to catch up and check the forum but if someone can just post it that would be easier :D I see the poll up top, but unsure what has been picked and read. :) We can do another poll for September and October (maybe combine since we are late to get started so people have time to purchase and check out?) Let me know what you guys think!

17. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Late to this thread, sorry about that! Anyway... Sara's quote above... totally me. I was doing just fine keeping up with the books (even though I didn't always participate that much in the discussions) when there was one a month, but when a bunch were picked at one time, I panicked and quit reading. I honestly don't mind books being picked in advance, but I do love having them assigned to a specific month for reading and discussion. I'm one of those "need a deadline" people.

Tree City and crystalbella77 like this.
  18. crystalbella77

ok Catching up now...How about I go start a nominating thread for Sept and we have that for the rest of Sept and October? If we are pretty speedy we can start reading middle of the month and have a month and a half for this one?

I'll go back to how I was doing it in the Spring. I will post a nominating thread for a bit and then we can vote for 1 week and anyone who wants to read more is certainly welcome too, but i think the majority of us were a bit overwhelmed with the lots of books picked at once? You are welcome to nominate books that didn't get picked for one month and books from ANY genre. I think a lot of us read lots of different things. There are probably going to be books picked that you don't like (has happened with me for sure) but it gives everyone a voice this way and there isn't any perfectly fair way to do it other than voting. I personally like reading lots of different types of books so I will vote for all kinds of different things. :)

Middle of October I will do a November nominating thread and we can vote the last week and so on for every month? Unless we just want one book for Nov/Dec for the holidays?

@gonewiththewind I will tag you when I need something stickied to the top! I don't have those powers :D

gonewiththewind and tkradtke like this.