Help with computer issue...

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by A-M, Apr 17, 2018.

1. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

I am hoping someone can help me.
    My graphics card has died ( possibly from overheating as there was a lot of dust in my computer). The computer repairers have tried different graphic cards in my computer and they are not working so there could be something wrong with the motherboard. They are not doing anything further as they say I would be better off buying a new computer. So I am picking up my computer later today with it only working with the inbuilt graphics card.

My question for whoever might be able to help me is .... will my Photoshop CS6 work with only using the inbuilt graphics?

Thankyou to whoever can help me.

2. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

It's going to depend, Anne-Marie, on the make/model (i.e. how old it is, the specs, etc.). There are so many factors involved, you probably won't know for certain unless you just try it. A factory (i.e. lower-grade) graphics card is never going to work as well as an upgraded card, and one that's really old may not have updated drivers available for it. I would work towards a replacement as a permanent solution, even if you can get it to work, because the quality still won't be as good.

cfile likes this.
  3. A-M

Thankyou Margaret for your reply.

I am now just home from collecting the computer and the bad news is .... I need a new computer.
    With what happened with the graphics card overheating, the motherboard has been affected and may stop working on me so I am going to be busy the next few days moving things to EHD ready to load onto a new computer ( desktop tower) next week.
    So from now on I will keep my computer dusted inside it.... it was FULL of dust !

cfile likes this.
  4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Sorry to hear, Anne-Marie! I'm glad you can transfer things and move them to the new computer! Hoping it all goes smoothly!

A-M likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Bummer about your computer Anne-Marie. :( I killed one of my old computers the very same way. Hard lesson to learn and I'm still not the greatest at remembering to clean my new one out, but I am a little better anyway. I hope you find a new one that it affordable and that you're able to get everything off the old one before it dies.

A-M likes this.
  6. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Anne-Marie, not great news but I guess you can at least transfer your stuff.

A-M likes this.
  7. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Anne_Marie, I have a 2011 iMac, and when it crashed last fall...going black, it turned out to be the graphics card. I made the decision to get a new card - a couple hundred dollars - and I was told it could last a year, 6 mo or....?? I hope to get a new computer (iMac) this fall but that may not be an option for your computer.

A-M likes this.
  8. A-M

@cookingmylife Thankyou for what you shared but sadly the overheating of my graphics card affected the motherboard which is why all graphics cards they tried would not work properly. I am now just using the inbuilt graphics which seems to be okay for scrapbooking.... sometimes little funny marks appear but only for a few seconds and then they disappear when I move a layer or insert a new layer ( elements ).
    So for now I will soldier on and save up for a new computer while this one is still working.