Help please: wavy text

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by michelepixels, Oct 15, 2017.

1. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I have this shape on my scrapbook page:
    Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 11.51.36 AM.png

I want to type text that follows the wave, so the text actually waves in the same direction. I know how to make a shape and fill it with text, but that's not what I mean here. I've used templates that have wavy text so I know it's possible.

I would like to fill the gray shape, but with a few lines of text that wavy the same way the paper does, not with horizontal type broken up to fit the shape.

I am trying to find the answer myself but a search on TLP for "wavy text" brought up no results, and google so far is not helping much.

Do you know how?

Thank you!

2. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Good question. I hope you find help because that LO is killer.

3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

something like this @michelepixels Michele?
    upload_2017-10-15_12-33-50.png

It is done with the pen tool as a path.. with the pen tool make points along the curve and then click on the paths folder and work path and then using the text write your text It would need to be done on individual lines to follow the curve. This is a quick example above, but you can do it better taking some time. Look via google as text on a path :)

4. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Instead of filling the path/shape with text ... there's another way to do it where it follows the outline of the shape/path. I think instead of putting your text tool pointer inside the shape - you put it just on the outside. (I forget what the tool looks like an "0" with a squiggly line maybe? (something like that!) I'm not sure if this is how you did it last time - but maybe type it on the outside of the shape/path like I mentioned above. And then stop at the end of the one line. Copy and paste the text shape/path line -but move it down a little each time to position the lines under each other. And then type over the text with the new sentences each time. Would that work?

5. michelepixels

So my husband helped me draw a path with the pen tool like some google directions said
    https://photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/pen/pen.htm

but just like the several times I tried myself, the text stops midway instead of following the entire curve WHY?
    Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 12.41.49 PM.png
    See, it stopped at so even though I typed lots of letters after "so"

I'm getting too frustrated to work on this anymore.

6. cfile

I sent you a psd... It has to do with end points and yes it can be real frustrating. I sent you one.

michelepixels likes this.
  7. michelepixels

Thanks Christa. I think I might be almost there with the path my husband drew. I read about the path selection tool and dragged the dot where the text was ending all the way to the end of the curve.

But I'm baffled why it wasn't there to begin with? The default should be that the entire path I draw is the entire path I want to use.

8. cfile

@michelepixels Michele, I just used the pen tool set the tool to path and just put points all along the top edge, then put the text on that. Yeah the pen tool is hard to get a handle on. I like to avoid as much as possible.. LOL I sent you the psd drop box link I did of your path is you wanted that. Good luck!

9. cfile

10. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I don't have any answers, unfortunately. I just wanted to say that I TOTALLY agree with you!

11. michelepixels

Did it, finally. Can't say I learned how. But I'm satisfied for this layout. I'm just glad to be done with it. It has been sitting in my folder waiting to be finished for nearly a year! This concert was last November. I decided I should finish it now, while the style challenge is about a big photo.

Christa, I like your second set of text paths even better than your first, but I was engrossed in my page and didn't see it until just now.

I ended up just duplicating the path my husband drew for me a couple of times and not writing as much as I would have liked. I think I'll be making a couple more pages to accompany this anyway. I took a lot of photos on the drive from Virginia to South Carolina, and on the walks to and from the concert venue. More to scrap!

Thanks everyone for helping!

[​IMG]

Tree City and cfile like this.
  12. michelepixels

p.s. Is there no way to make a text path that is multiple lines?

cfile likes this.
  13. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I don't think so. The text has to follow one path and that means that it would not break but continue along and go from right to left along the line.

When I used text on path on this layout

[​IMG]

I had to use a second text on path (along the same path which was the circle) in order to go again from left to right at the bottom of the outer circle. You can see what it does with just ONE text on path on the inner circle text on path. It just goes along the path no matter whether it is upside or downside or whatever.

michelepixels and cfile like this.
  14. cfile

Looks great Michele... keep the second one for further pages or whatever :) Yeah I often have isues with that text on a path. It would need to be seperate lines, or as Rikki said in the circle.

Anyone can grab that text on a path if they want it :)

Tree City likes this.
  15. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

How about "Type -> Warp text"? But you must play around quite a bit to get the result you want.

Dalis and michelepixels like this.
  16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Did you figure it out? Maybe I can help.

17. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I was going to recommend this too, it may not follow exactly your path but you can tweak it!

18. michelepixels

Kind of, but not really. See my completed layout in post 11 above. But it was my husband who offered to make the path when I was so frustrated I was about to give up. He has a little prior experience with it. I have no confidence I'd be able to manage it.

Do you know another way to make a text on a wave besides clicking repeatedly and dragging mysterious ways with the pen tool? Or a way to make it not so difficult and fiddly? I've never struggled so much with a tool in Photoshop; usually things are much easier.

Thanks!

19. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Taking a closer a look I think the only way to do it is make one single wavy path & duplicate it, which wouldn't fit precisely in your shape. Are you in Photoshop Elements?

cfile likes this.
  20. cfile

Scrapping with Liz likes this.