Heartbreaking news...no not a person, a store!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by cookingmylife, Apr 14, 2018.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I made one of my quarterly runs up to Costco and Walmart and usually Aldi also as these stores are all together and 25 miles away. I was shocked to find 'my' Costco is closing or actually did the day after I went. Boo hiss... Where will I get my huge pumpkin pie for $5.99 this fall???? While there is another one in Columbia MD that is 29 miles away, I don't ever think to go there. Also 25 miles away is a Costco with a Wegmans next to it. Dangerous to go to since they both have such great food that I really should have a larger car and if anything would tempt me towards a SUV it would be that combo but...they're right on an exit for the Washington DC Beltway. Need I describe the store traffic from near and far that spot gets?

Walmart and Costco together was my perfect pairing. Now that Target has given up their Massimo and Merona brands, Walmart has been my go-to for white t-shirts each summer. If they get stained beyond FelsNaptha or other whitening, I'm happy to let them become gardening or good enough for under a sweater t-shirts. Target you let me down and now Costco? shaking my head ....:disagree

Sokee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

What a bummer! I wonder why it closed? Maybe they'll build in another location--not right off the beltway, and maybe close to you. That'd be nice!

On a semi-related note: if you and @jk703 come my way, there's a Costco off 95. It's more north, so it isn't on your way home, but you could always swing by because it's basically across the street from the mall and some other shopping. So yeah, if you're heading this way then you might as well go to Costco to make it worthwhile lol!

3. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

I seriously could not imagine having to drive that far for a store. lol

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm shocked that a Costco closed. We have 3 here and they're always packed.

5. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I would be in denial - and Target - I was wondering where all those t-shirts went. Just thin, see-through things now - this mature woman needs more fabric. Guess I have to go to Kohl's.

Early on in my Costco life, I switched from Costco to Sam's for one year - it was a verrrryyy long year.

Sokee, jenn mccabe and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

We're desperately hoping that a Costco is going to open up about 3 minutes down the road from us . . . we'll see if it actually happens, but that is our hope. I wonder why that location closed for you? It had to have been losing some serious money as everyone I talk to loves Costco and they are always busy!

7. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

We don't shop at Costco, but I understand your pain. We have no more good Chinese food restaurants around us. A local staple has just closed after at least 40 years. More unaffordable housing to go in its place. Silicon Valley has overtaken our area so much. Grocery stores, Big Lots, little Mom & Pop places, just gone. All for $4000/mo apartments & condos.

I agree, the new Target tees are junk. I bought a bunch of them for $5 & they're not worth it. Whenever I'm near a Walmart, I go a little crazy. I just got like 3 full outfits in San Diego. So, I get it. I feel for you.

8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

What a bummer!!! I would love to have a Costco here. I don't think there's one in the entire state. The closest one to me is over an hour and a half away, and we have to go almost an hour to get to Target :( WalMart and Sam's are all we have, and I have to drive 20 miles to get to Sam's.

9. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Yeah...I have like four I could choose from that aren't a 29 mile drive to get there and they are all busy no matter what time of day you go. I have found that Friday night before closing is the least busiest. Guess no one wants to be there on a Friday night. lol

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  10. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

What a bummer!! 29 miles for pie is just too far unless you just happen to be in that area.

The Universal Thread tshirts they have at Target are great as well as the ones by A New Day; they typically have them 2 for $14.00 I think. The new Time and Tru brand at Walmart is pretty good too!

11. BevG

Monday night around 7:30pm is dead at my Costco... I think our Friday nights are busy because some people can only shop on weekends.

12. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I know that one of our local costco's (it's in North Spokane- I live by the valley location thank goodness!) had to move slightly to get out of city limits- probably something to do with taxes!? Regardless, it's a pain when you're used to going somewhere! The walmart that is right next to the costco I go to is not my favorite walmart lol! I prefer to go to the walmart just outside of town- it's right of the freeway but it's out of the way so NO ONE is ever there! ;) I wish you luck in your new shopping adventures! ;)

13. BevG

I am very anti-Wally World. We have 2 in our city - one is nick-named Ghetto-mart but about 2 weeks ago at the other one (in a more upscale shopping area), they had a shooting. Dude got mad at an elderly couple in the self-checkout, lots of cussing, then after paying for his stuff, he went out to his car, returned with a gun, and shot the man and a store employee who had come over to talk to the couple. Both people survived but, yeah, I am really avoiding Wal-mart now.

14. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Aw, man! That sucks!
    I have 3 or 4 Targets within 15 minutes. Of course, the one I like the best is one of the further ones. Especially since the closest one is hard to get to from my house!
    Our Costco is always packed! Probably because even though there are a few in this town, they are really annoying to get to from the other quarters of the town! I'm sorry yours is closing!

We have both. And I like it, because right now, I'm so tired of going to re-buy something at Costco, and they have changed it to Organic and upped the price $5! Then going to Sam's and finding the exact same thing for the exact same price Costco had it!

16. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Oh no, that stinks! I am another one who would buy those Target T shirts every year! I had no idea they stopped carrying those brands. I hate the see thru shirts or the super clingy fabrics. Give me good old T shirt fabric - like @BevG said, I need more fabric not less! LOL.

17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I feel your pain... our Target just closed in February and that was after our Old Navy closed a couple of years ago. Such a bummer. Our town isn't big enough for a Costco, so we have to drive about 40 minutes to get to the nearest anything good.

18. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I've never been to Costco, so I can't commiserate there... but I do mourn the loss of those lines at Target. The Massimo line had my hands down favorite camisole/tank that was perfect for wearing under stuff. It was longer than most brands and didn't ride up at all... sigh. I have a whole drawer full of camis that just aren't quite right.

19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm a old Target t-shirt lover too. I've hated the new shirts they have, they stain so easily, and they are so thin! So, this year I bought some from Old Navy - online. I love them! I bought one of them in tall, so it would be longer, and had to return it. The regular length is long enough, and doesn't ride up. The material isn't too thin, and I haven't managed to stain it yet. Which, if you knew me, is saying a lot!

20. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Oh Man that is not fun! I was so excited when our local Costco opened up as it was a 30+ drive to get to one before. I share a membership with my Mom and we usually get paid to shop there. LOL.

I hear you on tee's! I love the feel of those thinner ones but will only wear them if I layer. I buy my actually tee shirts long and short at the outlet Eddie Bauer shop they are thicker there. Well worth a few extra dollars to have a thicker material. I think on the average I pay $9, as I get them when the outlet does a sale.