Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by bbymks5, Oct 27, 2017.

1. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Okay...dumb question; Quidditch Through the Ages, The Tales of Beedle the Bard and Fantastic Beasts, are you supposed to read those books somewhere in between books 1-8?

Did anyone read the prequel? I didn't even know a prequel existed LOL

Just started reading the series and finished book one so I'm super late to the game!

cfile likes this.
  2. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I haven't read the prequel.
    I read 2 of the extras books between 4 and 5 (fantastic beasts and quidditch) because I was reading them as they were released.
    Tales I read after all of them.

bbymks5 likes this.
  3. bbymks5

Did you like the extra books as much as the HP ones?

I wonder if I should try and find the prequel before moving onto book 2?? I looked on Goodreads and it got good reviews...I just looked at the stars and didn't read any of them in case there were spoilers LOL!

4. bestcee

They are more like supplements? Like, they are both schoolbooks that the kids have to use in one of the years. (I don't think that's a spoiler).
    They are little, so super quick reads - like an hourish.

bbymks5 likes this.
  5. bestcee

As far as reading the prequel, I'm no help because I haven't read it.
    Usually, I go ahead and read in the order the books were written unless there's a compelling reason not too.

bbymks5 likes this.
  6. bbymks5

@bestcee oh cool!! I like quick reads from time to time!! Maybe I'll just skip the prequel, it's only 800 words LOL!

7. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I appreciate your question because I had only heard of Fantastic Beasts. Now I've got more reading to do!

bbymks5 and bestcee like this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

We watched Fantastic Beasts tonite (with Eddy Redmaine) - it was fantastic (in a 5 stars sense) but i read/audio'd the Fantastic Beasts book and it was him reading it (with some sound effects so that was cool) but it was just like an encyclopaedia or A-Z of anmal descriptions, not the plot shown in the movie so if you read it and or have seen the movie i'd be interested to hear another opinion (and no, i havent read any of HP itself - except the first page to DD many yrs ago and then she decided she could read it faster herself so that was the end of that)

londoncuppa, bbymks5 and cfile like this.
  9. bestcee

I went and found it. Meh. It's not really a prequel, more like if you randomly found 2 pages of a book, and recognized the book, but that's all you had of it. I'd skip it.

Yes, the book is supposed to be the school text book. So, while interesting to read about the creatures, the fun in it is the actual book. There are notes in it - for example, the word brief circled and then written - You liar! I don't know how that would translate to audiobook.
    The movie(s) are about the author. So, his adventures while he's writing the book. That's why they end up being totally different. The book itself is not very many pages.

bbymks5, bellbird and cfile like this.
  10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

@bbymks5 Timmi @bestcee Courtney @bellbird Justine - I read all of the books 1-7 ... then I saw the movies as they came out.. the Original Fantastic Beasts & Where to find them was as Justine said, an encyclopedia to explain all of the exotic animals for example all the ones Hagrid explores throughout the books and is also the book in the Hogwarts curriculm for the class he and Prof. Grubby Plank teach. "The Tales of the Beedles & the Bard" they basically explain and tell the tale in the last book Deathly Hallows. I have not read either of those nor "History of Magic" or "Quiddich Through The Ages". So re prequel etc, nope didn't do it.

Now, when they decided to make the play Cursed Child based on after the HP books and the future of HP Harry, (Ginny) Hermoine, And Ron and their families, they came out with a book written in the screen play version. That book/script needs to be read after Deathly Hallows. I have read it. (meh as Courtney would say! I only liked it as it was more info for me on my beloved characters!)

Again when JKR decided to sell the "book" film rights to WB for Fantastic Beasts, she then had to write a play for it. She wrote a play about the background of Newt Schmander (author as Courtney mentioned) while he was writing Fantastic Beasts. That is when they produced the play/script book version of the "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them." I bought the screen play book at the same time the movie came out. I watched the movie and then read the screen play. Some things made more sense to me after reading the play/script as I was so engrossed with the movie I missed things that I picked up later on when I read it upon returning home from the movies. I am with Justine @bellbird that I really liked Fantastic Beasts movie with Eddy Redmaine. I re-watch the movie too :) [Again, as Courtney said the original book would be fun to read and the original FBWTFT was a school text book]

Timmi, to answer your question, I would read the regular books as you are doing, in sequence, and then after the books are read, if you want to read the others have fun with them.

I am looking forward to the next Fantastic Beasts movie.. I hope that JKR will produce the script/play in book form for the next one too :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    bbymks5 and bellbird like this.
  11. cfile

I love his adventures :) Eddy Redmaine and the girls along with the guy who play Jacob, love them. I am looking forward to #2 :)

bellbird likes this.
  12. bbymks5

You're welcome!! I'm not afraid to ask the dumb questions LOL!!

@bellbird @bestcee @cfile I had NO idea that Fantastic Beasts was a movie too LOL!! I have so much catching up to do!!
    Does she plan on writing any more books to go with the series??

I have a confession...when Dawn Inskip had the Magical Creatures in the SOSN sale I picked it up because I thought the little platypus looking creature and the dust bunny/dragon looking creature were so cute! It wasn't until after I looked at some of the pages made that I found out it was for Fantastic Beasts...but I didn't realize it was part of Harry Potter until my mom told me the other day LOL!! I guess I live under a rock or something!

tinkerbell1112, cfile and bestcee like this.
  13. cfile

I love the niffler!

tinkerbell1112 and bbymks5 like this.
  14. bbymks5

Did you see a color illustrated version of Fantastic Beasts is coming out?!!?

I was able to finally watch the first movie...I must say I'm sad the the sorting hat song wasn't in there, and I wanted to see the tape measure do it's thing when Harry was being measured for his wand :(

cfile likes this.
  15. cfile

Yes I saw the illustrated one ... not going to get it though. I know there are things missing in the movies but you get a good idea. I suggesst reading all the books then watch the movies. :)

16. bbymks5

@cfile I stared book 2, and then I decided to pick up the audio book for book 2 so I could possibly listen to it while I scrap...the narrator is amazing and I love his voice, but I completely tuned it out the couple times I've tried. I hear his voice, but not the words LOL

cfile likes this.
  17. cfile

I can't do audio books.. I fall asleep :)

bbymks5 likes this.
  18. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I agree with Christa & Courtney. It's a play and most definitely has to be read after the end of the entire HP series. However, it's really only for die-hard Harry Potter fans (yep...that's us). If you're not a Harry Potter devotee, I'd skip it, Fantastic Beasts, and all of the other supplemental books.

bbymks5 likes this.
  19. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I'm the opposite. In my old age, I've gotten to the point where reading books makes me sleepy, so I'm an Audible junkie; plus, I can multi-task, which is always a huge plus for me!

cfile and bbymks5 like this.
  20. bbymks5

@cfile LOL!! I have a feeling if I wasn't trying to do anything else at the same time, fast asleep I'd be.

@londoncuppa I really want to try my best at reading them all *crosses fingers* I'm really enjoying the series now. I want to check out the new full color illustrated version of Fantastic Beasts!

I really wish I could get into audio books, because like you said, you can multitask, but they quickly become background noise..boo!

cfile likes this.