Happy Family Day! Or whatever holiday you're celebrating!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Juliestcyr, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

So, it's Family Day here in Ontario. But, because I'm a federal employee I don't get the day off. My husband has the kids and so far, they've been to a free screening of ET at a charmingly shabby indie theatre, and then off to a vintage arcade that serves local craft brews for the Dads, and apparently amazing homemade perogies. Afterwards, they are all going skating at our local outdoor rink. It's exactly zero degrees, so just about perfect for skating.

Did I mention that I'm chained to my desk?

Does your country/province/state have a holiday today? Did you get it off? Is everyone having fun but me?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

It is President's Day. We used to get Washington's and Lincoln's birthday off. They combined them, and gave Martin Luther King in January. I like it better this way. The weather is so beautiful. We cleared out our back patio. We are in phase one of remodeling it to be an enclosed room. The electrician comes next week to run power. (phase 2) Then we will be as a family (YIKES) put in windows, outside walls, insulation, dry wall, and texture. (phase 3-the BIG one)
    Then my favorite, Phase 4, painting, and curtains.
    My husband is a musician, and he also does recording, so this will be his office. Recording studio, pool table, dart board and fridge! He has to come in to use the bathroom. bhahhaha
    I get my bedroom back(his studio is in there now) YIKES YIKES

LoveItScrapIt and Juliestcyr like this.
  3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

We have President's Day.... though I am working, like you! I didn't want to do much, and can tell you, since my boss was not here today, I did enough. :giggle Just one of those days for me that my motivation was not there. I'm a worker bee most of the time... but on a holiday and boss holiday, well, I did take advantage a little.

My hubby and boys had friends over and hung out, played and relaxed. I never heard back what the plan was after that. :( lol

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

President's Day here too. Although, I still made the kid do school today. I'm not really having too much fun. DH and I are going to grab lunch while munchkin goes to a friends house. Other than that we are doing normal cleaning, and laundry day.

5. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Both kids are off for President's Day here... my husband is not off, so he flew to Florida for work this morning.

Alex is relaxing and playing online games with friends. He worked last night and works again tonight. He works at a frozen yogurt place and with the unseasonably warm weather we've been having they have been crazy busy!

Clara has friends over and they just left to get mani/pedis. She spent yesterday and this morning cleaning her room... as in really cleaning her room (not just shoving stuff into her closet or under her bed). It's a miracle! She's earned that mani-pedi!!

I'm trying to finish up my 7th February challenge layout because I'm avoiding working on my 2016 Project Life album. :giggle

bestcee likes this.
  6. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

No President's Day off for us today. We're making up a snow day. We've only had 4 this year (which is like wayyyy low for us), but this is one of the designated make-up days.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  7. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

We've had a 4 day weekend for President's Day. Today we've all been pretty lazy. We made pizza & watched tv. It's icky weather out.

8. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

family day! in Ontario! however, hubby works..so son and I just kind of hung out and played. nice and lowkey!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

President's Day here, but just a regular day for us except no bills in the mail (the mail doesn't run today).

10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

President's Day . . . Daniel and I slept in until 9.He's been watching TV, YouTube, playing video games and building Legos. He's gathered up the trash and took it out, and then took the can to the street (one of his duties). He'll be putting up his laundry later and next up is for him to put away his laundry when I'm done. I'm adding one more task for him to clean up his computer desk in the den (at least the top of it - ugh, he's a messy boy).

I've watched some TV, read, cross stitched, worked, laundry, dishes, etc. It's been very low key and relaxed and I'm still in PJs!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  11. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

President's Day -- hubby is not off work and there is no one but the cat and dog. Slept in and was in my PJ's til about 3. Trying to organize what is left of holiday album and plan budget for next few months. Not an exciting day. And it's raining out-- my snow is melting away so fast!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  12. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

It was supposed to be a four day weekend for DD but they used Friday for a snow day makeup. I've been sick and slept most of yesterday & today. The kids ran around & made messes & refused to eat food (just DS) & did their normal thing.

DH worked both jobs today like usual.

Juliestcyr likes this.
  13. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

President's Day here, too. Hubby had to work and my son had college classes. My daughter returned from her church youth retreat today, but it's back to school tomorrow for her.

Me? I never get a holiday cuz I'm a stay at home mom. I work 24/7. :cry

bestcee likes this.
  14. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

@AnneofAlamo, you are a better wife than I. If my husband put a recording study in our bedroom, my response would have been. "I sleep here, so, no."

@LeeAndra and @IntenseMagic, we have never had a snow day makeup! That sounds so mean. It's not as if it's the kids' fault school was cancelled. However, on all our snow days, the schools are open. It's just that buses don't run. A lot of kids still go if their parents can arrange drop off and pick up. Kids who walk are required to be there as well.

My day, got worse before it got better. I was grateful to be out of work on time (I've been doing a lot of overtime lately). But, then there was an accident, and all the buses stood at a stand still. My 30-40 minute commute home turned into 2 hours. THEN when I got off the bus, I went to cross the street and the only way was through a slush moat that went over my boots! Luckily, hubs had a very good dinner prepared (mexican stuffed peppers), and we all watched the Troll movie together (Movie Review: m'eh.)

15. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

@Juliestcyr my husband is (in my eyes and ears) a master musician. He will take his acoustic guitar, and finger pick for hours, I can sleep with a smile on my face. lol, he wears headphones for the fine tuning of the music. lol the patience is paying off with a remodeled enclosed patio..........and my bedroom, painted, soft greens, with big fluffy cream (with blackouts behind) curtains. Lots of peaches and orange accents. le' sigh!

Juliestcyr likes this.
  16. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Happy Family Day and President's Day.
    We had a straight up normal day.
    The next public holiday for us is the 21st of March Human Rights Day.

17. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

President's Day and I didn't even know it. ROFL. We don't get it here for school so I only remembered when we didn't get mail yesterday! ROFL

18. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

It was my mother in law's birthday so we drove to Sacramento, went to a surprise party, stayed for a surprise brunch the next day, and headed home... Friday, all of Los Angeles was seriously under water, which slowed us down quite a bit, but Saturday, the party was very fun and the brunch went well too. Then, we drove back so hubby could be at work yesterday. It was a whirlwind of craziness!!

My daughter was trying to be helpful while we were gone, decided to shampoo our carpets... Didn't get all the way to it, but she did unravel the whole house in preparation. I couldn't believe it when I walked in to my house in the "worse before it can get better" stage of cleaning... It's still half there because I just don't have the desire to put it all back when it wasn't my wild hair that messed it all up...

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~