Hands up those have have spilled something on their laptop!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by wombat146, Mar 24, 2017.

1. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Yep!!! that is what I did this morning!!!! gaaaaahhhhhh!!!! :overreact It is nearly 3.00pm and it's taken me that long to pull my laptop apart (its drying out on the dining room table!), find my old one, set it up and get it going (network passwords etc etc), install my pen tablet (my old one as the new one will not work with this old one!!!) and I am feeling quite bleh! and just out of sorts! LOL!!!

I am so hoping that my laptop dries out okay and will work!!! This one that I am using is so slow compared to the newer one and of course the old pen/tablet can't do half as much as what my new one can! Soooooo, looks like I will be relearning a lot of stuff for the next couple of days! :headscratch

Luckily the liquid didn't get into the hard drive compartment. The half cup of tea seemed to just sloosh over the lower part of the keyboard and the mouse pad buttons and I was pretty quick with tipping it on its front side and pulling out the battery (with tea dripping off the table everywhere! (glad it happened just after I washed the floor in my craft room yesterday....not!!!! :eyeroll) Have taken off the keys that were affected as well...............DH said I should be careful that I don't put the keys back on the wrong spot!!! :madd He is sooooo helpful sometimes!!! :madness lol.

So what about you??? have any of you spilled something on your laptop keyboards??? and more importantly, did your laptop work again???

2. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

mine isn't a lap top, but my Mac keyboard, a couple of years ago I think? 2015? or maybe even 2014.... and it was coffee...with MILK that they say is the worse....
    I just went and bought a new keyboard....lucky me, I had the money at the time (£40)....
    hope yours dries and you can solve it asap !!!!!!!

enjoyyourpix and wombat146 like this.
  3. wombat146

Thanks Cyn, and yes I have done the keyboard trick as well and I just rinsed off under the tap, lol! But this is the first time with a laptop so feeling a bit apprehensive! :shrug

MrsPeel likes this.
  4. AllisonPennington

AllisonPennington Queen of the Realm

I've never had a laptop but my keyboard is constantly getting spilled on. I break mice constantly, too. :banghead

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

not yet (she says as she is sitting in front of the screen with her afternoon coffee) but had a few near misses, i'd rather smash the cup on the floor than have the liquid hit the laptop personally so i hope yours dries out (and quickly - going backwards in terms of technology is always hard)
    oh yep and i have one of these too - sending sympathy

wombat146 likes this.
  6. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

they dont make them to last IMHO esp. the scrolly wheels - and they need to make the cords out of thicker, beak/teeth proof coating stuff too - dont they realise how attractive these things are to pets?! :bird

bestcee and wombat146 like this.
  7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Oh no... hope it will be ok. I've not spilled on my laptop but come close, spilling all over the table.

wombat146 likes this.
  8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i don't know if the old 'put it in rice' trick applies to laptops... never tried it on a mobile phone either actually...

wombat146 likes this.
  9. wombat146

I just had this vision in my head.......................:rofl:rofl:rofl

upload_2017-3-24_16-10-57.jpeg

enjoyyourpix, bestcee, jk703 and 3 others like this.
  10. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

(all my cords from EHDs, mice etc have sticky tape covering chewed thru sections of cord to cover the wires - i think of it like putting a bandaid on my tech stuffs boo-boo's)

wombat146 likes this.
  11. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I have tossed a huge full mug of milky orange tea over a keyboard and had to replace it.
    Feel your pain though, must be so much worse.

wombat146 likes this.
  12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Not me, but my youngest son knocked over a full glass of tea on my laptop a few years ago. I took it apart completely, cleaned parts as best I could, and laid all the pieces out on a table in a sunny window. I used a cotton swab with a bit of alcohol to wipe around bits and pieces where the tea hit. I read that it would help with the stickiness of the sweet tea. We were leaving on vacation the next day, so I just left it there for the week we were gone. I was really scared to come back and put it all back together, but when I did it worked just fine and continued to work for a few more years.
    I totally feel your pain and hope all is well with yours!!

wombat146 likes this.
  13. AllisonPennington

*blush* The last time I broke it was during a UFC fight - I got so pissed I slammed it on my leg hard enough to dislodge the light and sensor or whatever magic goes on in there. I had a mouse shaped bruise on my leg for weeks. :circles

bestcee and jk703 like this.
  14. AllisonPennington

LOL

15. wombat146

:compcoffee:compcoffee:compcoffee:compcoffee Thanks Allison, nearly spat coffee over this laptop as well just then!!!! :lmao:lmao:lmao

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  16. wombat146

Oh that is good to hear Jan!!! When I pulled mine apart there was a couple of drops of tea (with milk and sweetener in it) on the hard drive but I couldn't get into the motherboard properly, could only see a part of it but it was dry. I think I was lucky that the liquid didn't travel in that direction! but will leave it apart and upside down for a few days to be on the safe side though. :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh boy. That's so fun. I sure hope that your quick thinking was fast enough to save all the important electronic bits. I'd be like waiting on pins and needles until you be sure it's dry and test it out again. Good luck!

It's only by some miracle that I have spilled on my keyboard (I use desktops only these days), but I have spilled my pop/water over my desk several times in the past. I've learned where it the safest spot to keep my beverage and leave a coaster there so it goes back in the safest zone always. :giggle

18. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh no!!! That is so frustrating. :( And yes, I've had that happen. It was within my first year of scrapping, and I didn't have an EHD. Boo. Anyway, I was a breastfeeding mom and so I tried to keep a glass of water near me at all times. I'm sure you can guess what happened with my full glass: I barely touched it and of course it tipped ALL OVER my laptop. and it never worked again. Luckily, a tech friend at DH's school found a case to hold my HD and I was able to save everything--like DD's birth photos and our wedding pics!
    And of course with my next laptop, I buy a Nalgene bottle to hold my water (you know, with a top lol). :) But then I had a glass of wine and spilled a bit on my laptop. DH was like "dude, if you broke this laptop too, then you're done. No more computers!" lol, but it was fine.
    Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers for ya @wombat146! At least you've got an older laptop to use in the meantime!

jk703 likes this.
  19. renee82

renee82 renee82

Multiples times... and usually coffee....

20. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh boy... hoping it dries up and is workable! Ugh!

I have not (**knocking on wood**) yet. But... ugh. All these thread with "Have you..." insert something sorta on the downside, I'm starting to worry! :giggle