gluten / dairy free?

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by theAndrea, Jul 12, 2014.

1. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

so I've just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've known I've had it for a while, but am (sorta) happy to have that confirmed. The doc suggested exercise to help my achieness, but some friends have also suggested that I try a gluten and dairy free diet. I've done it before, and I have a friend doing it now, but I'm having a hard time getting back into it. I went two days gluten free, but we went out for dinner last night and I ended up having fajitas instead of the salad I was thinking of having.

last time I did it, it was because I was nauseous 24/7 but I've figured that out and am taking meds so I mostly don't feel like that anymore. Needless to say, I don't feel as motivated this time... I'm foggy, achy and stiff, but have been living like this for so long, I'm having a hard time believing that restricting my diet will really help with this. So many people tell me it will... le sigh....

Anyway, and hints or tips? or butt kicks? lol

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  2. gybogi

gybogi Giddiyup!

I would suggest you gluten free. I am on paleo myself and it works fine. All you need is lots of good and quick receipts. Here are some starters if you like: http://paleomagazine.com/paleo-recipes

There are a lot of temptations so at the beginnings do not go to public restaurants. I know it ‘cause I messed it up at first. :D For myself it was a big help talking to people how do the same eating as I am. So if there is a paleo community at your place you should go and take a look.

3. ledamperry

ledamperry Named by her crazy father

There is a GF community called Gling.com - the page seems to be down right now but it was started by an adoptive parent they I know. You may want to check it out!

4. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Trying to exercise when you can is good. I worked for a Fibromyalgia Clinic yrs ago and back then they didn't focus so much on diet like they do now. I think it does help. When in doubt with knowing what food to choose, pick veggies, fruit, small amount of potatoes or rice (preferably not white) and protein. I am gluten intolerant (my daughter is celiac) so can tolerate small amounts of wheat but if I overdo it I get a headache, bloat, crampy and achy. I don't like gluten free breads so if I don't eat sandwiches but will eat the occasional fried egg on whole grain sprouted bread (keep it in the freezer and then toast it). I eat corn tortilla wraps (not flour ones).

5. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

the hardest part of resteraunt is you paid for it so you feel you need to eat it...take out the torillas and you would have been better...tell the waiter, please don't bring the tortillas to the table. I do a low carb lifestyle..and it is pretty gluten free, and that has been a help to me
    hugs to you...and strength to make strong decisions for your health!

6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

At home I make burgers stuffed with purple onion, emeril spice, salt & pepper. Then I melt cheese overtop and add BBQ sauce or sliced avocado. I don't even miss a bun. If I'm in a restaurant, I'll eat the bun if it's a small bun or open face using only half a bun, it's become a treat for me b/c I don't eat it at home. It becomes more of a habit after awhile. I don't eat hotdogs in a bun either, just slice down the middle and put some cheese, chili or sauerkraut on it. It's all about developing new habits and giving yourself time to adjust.

7. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

it's hard at first... but once it's totally out of your system you feel AMAZING... and whenever I have any gluten or dairy I'm in soooo much pain and misery it really helps to keep me away... and it seems like the longer I've been eating this way the more pain and misery I'm in when I'm "glutened" or even have just butter... I've even been so focused and energized that I want to exercise rather than in a slump... I know it's hard... those first few weeks while your body is detoxing is miserable... but it's sooo worth it to not be in pain or in a slump.

Also try being sugar free... it's amazing how much sugar wipes me out and makes me feel so unfocused and frumpy and just want to do nothing all day... sugar effects us so miserably and tends to be a major root cause to many health issues

Have you ever tried Whole 30? It's a 30 day detox and test to see what foods effect you negatively... it also helps to get rid of any addictions you might have.

8. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

thank you so much girls. I've been mostly gluten free for four days now. Yesterday my friend had a BBQ. I had a couple of burger patties with cheese and tomatoes. I did cheat and had a little slice of apple caramel coffee cake, but that was it. Right now I'm having GF pizza and it's super yummy.

I love TLP so much. Everybody is so supportive in all aspects of life, not just scrapping

:grouphug

9. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

GF pizza was delish... however, something in it didn't agree, my tummy is unhappy :( probably the dairy, but I'm not ready to give that up completely... just have to eat in moderation.

10. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

You just need to do it! The first 2 weeks are the hardest.

11. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

totally agree... doing it only half-heartedly won't help you figure out what's bothering you (((hugs))) I know it's hard though... and as a side note... you might not only have problems with gluten... I also have problems with pretty much all grains... corn, soy, rice, oats, etc... that's why I like the Whole 30 test so much... because you add back on thing at a time to see how you react... totally worth the 2 weeks of agony.

12. Dalis

OF COURSE... I was starting WHOLE 30 today and I just had the last piece of cake in the fridge! I am upset right now, I did so good for breakfast and lunch. LOL!!!!

13. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

the Whole 30 diet looks good. Problem is that we're going camping on the 27th, so I would have to start after that. I'm fine going gluten free and even dairy free, but having to limit my diet that much during camping might just be too difficult. So I'll jump right in and go completely gluten and dairy free starting *NOW*. I bought some almond milk this morning, and some GF bread so I'm going in those departments. I won't buy anymore of the things that are no-no's in the Whole 30 diet so I don't have the temptations in the house.

14. Dalis

I was trying to explain my mom that she needs to be careful with all these GF products in the market. Most of them are just a catch to get you to buy and not good for you. Not because it says it's GF means in no way shape or form that is good for you or healthy. So remember to read the labels.

15. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

yep, I've been reading the labels for years. I mostly buy flour and / or mixes because there is always lots of unneeded junk in commercial foods. I'm going to make some banana muffins today or tomorrow. I've got a new mix to try. If I like them, then I'll make them for camping because the kids like them too, they can't ever tell the difference which I love because then I'm not making separate food.

16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I read the Wheat Belly book and have a couple of their cookbooks which were informative about wheat and why it is a problem for some people.

17. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

hubby did some research and found that the FODMAPs diet with some added restrictions is probably the diet for me. He'll probably join me because he has IBS as well as me so it would benefit both of us. If I'm still not feeling well, I'll do more of an elimination diet.

So happy to actually have a diet to follow now.

oh and I'm gluten/dairy free for 3 days now :)

18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I need to learn more about the FODMAPs diet. My hubs has IBS too. I had half a bag of munchie mix last night and am paying for it this morning...ugh. I gained 20 lbs over the last two years (after reaching my goal) which is partly due to my thyroid problem but also just me consuming too many calories. I am determined to drop at least 10 by the end of the summer.

19. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

here is the info my hubby found me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP
    http://stanfordhospital.org/digestivehealth/nutrition/DH-Low-FODMAP-Diet-Handout.pdf

it really sounds like a good idea. restrict for 6 weeks then slowly add back in to see if there are any reactions. both hubby and I are going to do it. and the kids too I guess since I'm not cooking different for them lol. except maybe school lunches lol. our bread is too expensive to give to them everyday lol. i might even start to make my own bread.

20. theAndrea

theAndrea Google master

Quick update... I've now been strictly gluten free for 2 weeks now, no cheating. We went camping for four days and I meal planned around my needs modifying when needed. It helps that a friend of mine is gf as well so we shared back and forth. She's more restricted than I am at the moment, but it was easy to modify to her needs an well.

Can't say I feel any better but I'm proud that I've made it this far :)